LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AViewFromLe2

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:33 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:34 pm I would like to see a
New attack coach
New head of performance
New Academy head coach
Lock/back row
Scrum half - honestly just someone to push Youngs as 2nd choice, I like Allan and kinda want him to have a season at Nottingham or champ and then bring him in to challenge Whiteley
Fly half
Centre

Then some dev signings
Agreed. How many slots have we got with the 35+12 suggested squad structure?

I think a lock/backrow might have to be self generated with either Manz or Chessum Jnr joining Carnduff in challenging for senior game time.

If the centre could also play wing that would be handy.
Personally think for this summer it will be just a 10 & 13 they will go for to complete the gaps. Carnduff, Manz and Chessum Jr I think will be used for lock/back row cover.

With the cap coming in for 25/26, i can see them for that season looking for a couple of wingers, as I am assuming Watson & Bassett to be off, possibly a 7 and a SH.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sk 88 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:58 pm
sk 88 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:00 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:20 am

Are we sure Richardson was sacked and there wasn't just honest conversations that led to him seeking employment elsewhere? It's not unusual for people to take on jobs, find they aren't a good fit and then move on again. I'm not sure why you think everyone gets a massive payoff either. Normally it's a fixed amount plus in lieu of notice. Not even that if they leave to go elsewhere.

Dickens and it appears Richardson haven't worked out. Concerning thing is that they probably weren't McKellar picks. Whomever assisted the recruitment didn't do the best of jobs there.
For people within their first year of employment you can just sack people for no reason and pay them two weeks' pay.

They definitely were McKellar's picks. Just because they aren't Australian doesn't mean he didn't want them in his team. As a very big McKellar sceptic it is more reassuring to me that he IS willing to change his coaching team, people trying to say "oh they weren't his choice" makes me think worse of him. Why would you be so slap dash in your job to accept that?
How do you know that?

Olly Richardson with his ties to Tigers previously was likely a recommendation to McKellar from the club if not an appointment by the club.

Dickens could have been either, hard to tell as it's possible McKellar became aware of him or met him at a Junior World Cup or similar. It's equally possible that the club wanted to acquire someone who had good knowledge of the best young EQ talent and also knew English rugby to work with their new foreign coach.
Because he is the Director of Rugby. He was appointed months before either of them. Why would you take that job then let someone else make your key appointments?!? What would be the point of appointing him in Feb to then appoint all his staff for him?? And why would fans think that be a GOOD thing for him, rather than a really really big red flag?

If he hasn't been in the interview and made the final decision that would be a total dereliction of duty. Of course he'll take the opinion of Wilks and possibly others too.

This seems just such an odd thing for people to try and claim. Do you think Borthwick didn't appoint his coaches?
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Bouncyben

Post by Bouncyben »

sk 88 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:39 pm

For people within their first year of employment you can just sack people for no reason and pay them two weeks' pay.

They definitely were McKellar's picks. Just because they aren't Australian doesn't mean he didn't want them in his team. As a very big McKellar sceptic it is more reassuring to me that he IS willing to change his coaching team, people trying to say "oh they weren't his choice" makes me think worse of him. Why would you be so slap dash in your job to accept that?
How do you know that?

Olly Richardson with his ties to Tigers previously was likely a recommendation to McKellar from the club if not an appointment by the club.

Dickens could have been either, hard to tell as it's possible McKellar became aware of him or met him at a Junior World Cup or similar. It's equally possible that the club wanted to acquire someone who had good knowledge of the best young EQ talent and also knew English rugby to work with their new foreign coach.
Because he is the Director of Rugby. He was appointed months before either of them. Why would you take that job then let someone else make your key appointments?!? What would be the point of appointing him in Feb to then appoint all his staff for him?? And why would fans think that be a GOOD thing for him, rather than a really really big red flag?

If he hasn't been in the interview and made the final decision that would be a total dereliction of duty. Of course he'll take the opinion of Wilks and possibly others too.

This seems just such an odd thing for people to try and claim. Do you think Borthwick didn't appoint his coaches?
Considering Leigh Jones was general manager for Borthwick, I would say that Steve did not have as much say as you think. Leigh did all the back stage things like contracts, hiring and firing etc. Borthwick was literally just a coach, focusing on the first team squad. They haven’t replaced Leigh so it suggests that DMK has way more responsibilities than Borthwick did. But that wouldn’t fit your agenda and the axe you have to grind would it 😂
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

How do you know that?

I seem to remember that he didn’t pick a few. Stanko, Murphy, Taylor and Murphy all left shortly after he arrived.

He had worked with Wigg before and promoted him. Promoted Harrison. Sinfield was his appointment. Walter’s I’m unsure but his pedigree spoke for itself.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:35 pm

How do you know that?

I seem to remember that he didn’t pick a few. Stanko, Murphy, Taylor and Murphy all left shortly after he arrived.

He had worked with Wigg before and promoted him. Promoted Harrison. Sinfield was his appointment. Walter’s I’m unsure but his pedigree spoke for itself.
Oh and McGinity as well. Safe to say Borthwick reshaped a lot of his coaches after he arrived.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

How do you know that?

DORs aren't all powerful, they get given resources. Borthwick as already pointed out inherited Smith, Harrison, Deacon etc. He brought in Wigglesworth as a player coach and got Kevin Sinfield. He took some time to shape his team.

McKellar might well shape his now. Remember that the board have a point of view and their own agenda as well. They might have seen Dickens as a long term option as DOR some early succession planning if McKellar went back to the Aus job at the end of his contract for instance.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:56 am
RagingBull wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:39 am
Rumours are we have def signed another 12.
But I don't think the squad looks as bad as people suggest, given it's not even June yet in terms of signings.
See I don't get this, we need a 13 not a 12.

Options at 12 next year brackets mean secondary position...
Kelly
Kata
(Perese)
Woodward
(Myall)

Options at 13
Perese
(Kelly)
Myall

We have so much more depth at 12 than 13, Kelly is a much better 12 than 13.
I agree, we really need to sign a quality 13
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

rich1576 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:38 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:39 am
Rumours are we have def signed another 12.
But I don't think the squad looks as bad as people suggest, given it's not even June yet in terms of signings.

Kelly
Kata
(Perese)
Woodward
(Myall)

Options at 13
Perese
(Kelly)
Myall

Marchant would be ideal.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:35 pm

How do you know that?

Yes obviously inherited coaches in situ are different. No argument there. But as neither Dickens nor Richardson were in situ before McKellar was appointed it is a bit of a moot point.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:53 pm
rich1576 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:38 pm

Kelly
Kata
(Perese)
Woodward
(Myall)

Options at 13
Perese
(Kelly)
Myall

Marchant would be ideal.
We do have Perese coming in who certainly looks quality. How much budget do we want to tie up on centres? Marchant would be quality but he'd not be cheap and how will we fit all four centres into the squad? Marchant onto the wing?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Today, Charlie Atkinson opted for 3 points in front of the sticks, whilst trailing 80-0. He missed...

Poor lad can't hit a barn door this season. Feel for him.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:54 pm

How do you know that?

DORs aren't all powerful, they get given resources. Borthwick as already pointed out inherited Smith, Harrison, Deacon etc. He brought in Wigglesworth as a player coach and got Kevin Sinfield. He took some time to shape his team.

McKellar might well shape his now. Remember that the board have a point of view and their own agenda as well. They might have seen Dickens as a long term option as DOR some early succession planning if McKellar went back to the Aus job at the end of his contract for instance.
But he *didn't* inherit Richardson. The position was vacant and only filled AFTER he was appointed.

Are we incapable of accepting McKellar is capable of a mistake? Its massively to his credit to change his mind. It's a normal, good, healthy thing.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

How many people are successful at interview for a job whilst employed elsewhere and while working their notice immediately start working for their new employer, are involved in interviewing and appointing staff even before their new contract starts. I would have thought that more unlikely when moving from one continent to another. Rugby is a relatively small world, I suggest that any subordinate staff appointed and existing staff retained was probably done by someone other than McKellar who probably had to find grounds to reject the club's choice rather than selecting his own people. Once in the job however he has more say.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sk 88 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:21 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:54 pm

But he *didn't* inherit Richardson. The position was vacant and only filled AFTER he was appointed.

Are we incapable of accepting McKellar is capable of a mistake? Its massively to his credit to change his mind. It's a normal, good, healthy thing.
Oh McKellar's made mistakes but I somehow doubt it was his idea to hire Richardson a guy who'd spent 6 years here previously. Having started out his career at Tigers. Felt more like somebody wanted someone with Tigers pedigree in the building than necessarily we'd scoured the world for the right person or McKellar was bringing somebody familiar with him. That's not to say Richardson's CV isn't decent but it just seems more logical for it to be recommendation or a team manager hire than McKellar going "I want this guy".
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:48 pm How many people are successful at interview for a job whilst employed elsewhere and while working their notice immediately start working for their new employer, are involved in interviewing and appointing staff even before their new contract starts. I would have thought that more unlikely when moving from one continent to another. Rugby is a relatively small world, I suggest that any subordinate staff appointed and existing staff retained was probably done by someone other than McKellar who probably had to find grounds to reject the club's choice rather than selecting his own people. Once in the job however he has more say.
Agreed. McKellar has made mistakes but I don’t think Dickens and Richardson are his ‘fault’ as it were. Time will tell next year when he has more of his own people around him.