LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sk 88 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:20 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:27 pm Replacing Aled is looking the equivalent of replacing Ferguson at Old Trafford...

Are we sure Richardson had more than a 12 month contract? If we are paying him & Dickens off, more money flushed away, did we pay Leigh Jones off as well?

Dan Jones leaving Scarlets, not the worst 10 in the world.
Are we sure Richardson was sacked and there wasn't just honest conversations that led to him seeking employment elsewhere? It's not unusual for people to take on jobs, find they aren't a good fit and then move on again. I'm not sure why you think everyone gets a massive payoff either. Normally it's a fixed amount plus in lieu of notice. Not even that if they leave to go elsewhere.

Dickens and it appears Richardson haven't worked out. Concerning thing is that they probably weren't McKellar picks. Whomever assisted the recruitment didn't do the best of jobs there.
For people within their first year of employment you can just sack people for no reason and pay them two weeks' pay.

They definitely were McKellar's picks. Just because they aren't Australian doesn't mean he didn't want them in his team. As a very big McKellar sceptic it is more reassuring to me that he IS willing to change his coaching team, people trying to say "oh they weren't his choice" makes me think worse of him. Why would you be so slap dash in your job to accept that?
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Tiglon »

sk 88 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:00 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:27 pm Replacing Aled is looking the equivalent of replacing Ferguson at Old Trafford...

Are we sure Richardson had more than a 12 month contract? If we are paying him & Dickens off, more money flushed away, did we pay Leigh Jones off as well?

Are we sure Richardson was sacked and there wasn't just honest conversations that led to him seeking employment elsewhere? It's not unusual for people to take on jobs, find they aren't a good fit and then move on again. I'm not sure why you think everyone gets a massive payoff either. Normally it's a fixed amount plus in lieu of notice. Not even that if they leave to go elsewhere.

Dickens and it appears Richardson haven't worked out. Concerning thing is that they probably weren't McKellar picks. Whomever assisted the recruitment didn't do the best of jobs there.
For people within their first year of employment you can just sack people for no reason and pay them two weeks' pay.

They definitely were McKellar's picks. Just because they aren't Australian doesn't mean he didn't want them in his team. As a very big McKellar sceptic it is more reassuring to me that he IS willing to change his coaching team, people trying to say "oh they weren't his choice" makes me think worse of him. Why would you be so slap dash in your job to accept that?
Within the first 2 years, and you have to give them the contracted notice, or pay in lieu of notice. I'd be shocked if a senior Tigers employee is on just 2 weeks notice.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:04 am

Within the first 2 years, and you have to give them the contracted notice, or pay in lieu of notice. I'd be shocked if a senior Tigers employee is on just 2 weeks notice.
Yes, didn't mean 1 year was the limit just within it. Fair point I'd imagine there is a longer notice but just saying what the minimum is. I doubt we're super generous on notice from our side though. We're not a charity.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Dickens didn't work out for reasons out of DMK hands tbf
and as said the S&C coaching clearly didn't work out, and it's good we have been ruthless enough to chop and change.

I do feel DMK went in way too blind to the league, and underestimated how gruelling the league can be and the surrounding coach staff didn't have the experience to guide him in it.

Certainly feel it's telling that after both breaks (Preseason and six nations) we looked at our worse, def points to a lack of prep during the off time. I know in super rugby they tend to be a little easier on players in off periods.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sk 88 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:12 am
Tiglon wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:04 am

Yes, didn't mean 1 year was the limit just within it. Fair point I'd imagine there is a longer notice but just saying what the minimum is. I doubt we're super generous on notice from our side though. We're not a charity.
Notice periods work both ways, it isn't about charity or generosity. Longer notice period protects you from someone leaving with very little warning and giving you no time to replace.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:06 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 am .. only half the story thus far - who is leaving.
Come the time, when present obligations and commitments are ended the other half of the story will be known to all...
Sounding like Rumpelstiltskin over here.
sir,
believe what you will...
come next season lets see , shall we ?
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:19 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 am .. only half the story thus far - who is leaving.
Come the time, when present obligations and commitments are ended the other half of the story will be known to all...
sir,
believe what you will...
Nicely put. Some people just like to be contrary but it takes all types I guess.
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:19 am
sir,
believe what you will...
I don't disagree just wish it was a tiny bit less cryptic
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

How do you know that?

Olly Richardson with his ties to Tigers previously was likely a recommendation to McKellar from the club if not an appointment by the club.

Dickens could have been either, hard to tell as it's possible McKellar became aware of him or met him at a Junior World Cup or similar. It's equally possible that the club wanted to acquire someone who had good knowledge of the best young EQ talent and also knew English rugby to work with their new foreign coach.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wouldn’t mind trying to nab a saints strength and conditioning coach
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Mckellar comment at the recent fans evening is telling. Next season I get to work with who I want to
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would like to see a
New attack coach
New head of performance
New Academy head coach
Lock/back row
Scrum half - honestly just someone to push Youngs as 2nd choice, I like Allan and kinda want him to have a season at Nottingham or champ and then bring him in to challenge Whiteley
Fly half
Centre

Then some dev signings
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:34 pm I would like to see a
New attack coach
New head of performance
New Academy head coach
Lock/back row
Scrum half - honestly just someone to push Youngs as 2nd choice, I like Allan and kinda want him to have a season at Nottingham or champ and then bring him in to challenge Whiteley
Fly half
Centre

Then some dev signings
Agree with all of this. I also think we need another winger. We’ve basically only had two fit all season.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:58 pm

How do you know that?

Olly Richardson with his ties to Tigers previously was likely a recommendation to McKellar from the club if not an appointment by the club.

Dickens could have been either, hard to tell as it's possible McKellar became aware of him or met him at a Junior World Cup or similar. It's equally possible that the club wanted to acquire someone who had good knowledge of the best young EQ talent and also knew English rugby to work with their new foreign coach.
I would be very surprised if DM picked much of the staff before he arrived.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:34 pm I would like to see a
New attack coach
New head of performance
New Academy head coach
Lock/back row
Fly half
Centre

Then some dev signings
Agreed. How many slots have we got with the 35+12 suggested squad structure?

I think a lock/backrow might have to be self generated with either Manz or Chessum Jnr joining Carnduff in challenging for senior game time.

If the centre could also play wing that would be handy.