Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Sale (A) - Premiership - Friday 10th May 2024 - KO: 7:45pm

Post by TigerCam »

ay2oh wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:02 am
MCC1964 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:38 am I can’t get my ahead around all these criticisms and doubts surrounding DMK. He was hardly going to come in and strip absolutely everything out from players to staff. He’s had a season to learn and assess what he has and he now deserves time and patience for:us to start to mould things to how he sees fit. And as for ‘he seems to have lost the dressing room’….oh dear me.

We all know it’s very fine margins in the prem these days. Snatch a couple of those tight finishes we had and we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

I do agree though about fitness levels. As much as the end of the Bristol game was about the benches, I definitely got the impression from where I was sitting that some of the lads were blowing a bit. But then again I guess we all see what see want to see.
Agree. People calling for McKellar to be sacked need to have a word with themselves.
I hope to see a performance tonight that the 23 will take satisfaction from. Sale are on a mission. The Tigers need to get a euro place but I fear they may well come up short again tonight given the lack of cohesion we have seen in past games. The Exeter game will be the defining match to see exactly where the Tigers are with their mindset. The Tigers position in the table reflects where they are as a group and Dan can reset the pre-season and develop his own strategy. Roll on Sept 20th and lets see Dan's Tigers transformation.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

On "losing the dressing room". Players will not be saying that at this stage. And it's an ambigious thing anyway.

And I think many of us are not calling for him to be sacked but merely feeling uncomfortable with the general vibe - messages put out, selections, recruitment. Not all of this down to McKeller or within his gift up to this point anyway.

Personally, I will be glad for the season to end, a reset begin and we go again in September.

That's not to say we are not capable of winning one or both of the last two games.

And I would always prefer us to be in the Champions Cup.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Whitcombe not starting is just nonsensical now.

As for playing Kinder on the wing, normally I would be all for it, possibly the easiest position to translate age group to senior rugby, weather good...but the opposition FH is probably the best tactical kicker in the sport.

As for hooker it will be intetesting who the travelling reserve is as Vanes failed to appear last week...not that there was any communication about it, if its either him or FTT Dolly's selection is a poor one.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Steward starting at FB sends a strong message to me, "Im a full back and thats where I want to play"? He could have swapped with Shillcock but I'm sure he's been picked in the best position and especially this match where OHC and Shillcock are quicker on the wings for covering and with Ford's kicking we need proven players in the back 3, not saying Kinder cannot catch etc but Shillcock has loads of experience and skill and I'm pretty sure he could play anywhere, 9-15 if needed.
Can't see us winning this one but I will be watching on the box, COYTs.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:34 pm Whitcombe not starting is just nonsensical now.

As for playing Kinder on the wing, normally I would be all for it, possibly the easiest position to translate age group to senior rugby, weather good...but the opposition FH is probably the best tactical kicker in the sport.

As for hooker it will be intetesting who the travelling reserve is as Vanes failed to appear last week...not that there was any communication about it, if its either him or FTT Dolly's selection is a poor one.
I agree but I think it just shows the pressure McKellar must feel he’s under. Same reason first game after the six nations he didn’t rest Reffell etc put them straight in. Same reason he’s hardly rotated Liebenberg when Rogerson was fit.

Forget building for next season he obviously feels he needs to win the next two games. Only reason you can explain the selection choices.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Just a thought it is possible that some of the young guys that impressed against Black Knights are still in education and might be in the middle of exams that would have affected their training and availability for selection, I don't suppose that is applicable to Whitcombe or FTT but could be to Kinder and Woodward. Whatever the reasoning behind selection that is a pretty strong team taking the field for Tigers tonight and we are in with a chance of a much needed victory.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:45 am
fortysix wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:44 am Two massive points

One, he seems to have lost the dressing room, and the result tonight will go a long way to decide that factor

Secondly, its blooming obvious the majority the players are not nearly fit enough. Youngs is a prime example. Shocking for Professional Athletes, but its the Head Coach who must take 80% of the blame.
1. All whisperings I've heard says this is nonsense and a lot of the players want him to stay and want coaching consistency.

2. Look at the rumours on the transfer thread and it seems that McKellar is unhappy with Ollie Richardson, he's basically almost admitted that our S&C is not good enough in an interview. So whilst the head coach and players should carry some of the blame the clubs head of S&C needs to shoulder a big chunk of that. IF we get a new head of S&C that is McKellar's pick over a guy he'd maybe not met before then maybe it's 80% HC responsibility
McKellar was appointed in February 2023, Richardson was his pick.

Deciding he's not performed and moving on is a fine management decision, we don't need to muddy the water trying to claim he's not picked his own team. He definitely has.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:06 am

One, he seems to have lost the dressing room, and the result tonight will go a long way to decide that factor

Secondly, its blooming obvious the majority the players are not nearly fit enough. Youngs is a prime example. Shocking for Professional Athletes, but its the Head Coach who must take 80% of the blame.
It is not the Head Coach who gets them fit, it is the Head of S & C, and we're making a change there. I appreciate McKellar hasn't had a perfect year and he is at fault for a fair few things, but the obsession of pinning all the blame on him is silly.
The buck stops with the top man, that’s the way it works.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Tigersunited wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:14 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:06 am

It is not the Head Coach who gets them fit, it is the Head of S & C, and we're making a change there. I appreciate McKellar hasn't had a perfect year and he is at fault for a fair few things, but the obsession of pinning all the blame on him is silly.
The buck stops with the top man, that’s the way it works.
IMHO that's a very glib generalisation. It took a lot of time, and a lot of sacked subordinates, before Eddie Jones got the push.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

And you are welcome to your IMHO - although I’m not sure why that entitles you to call me glib, but there you go.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Tigersunited wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:39 pm And you are welcome to your IMHO - although I’m not sure why that entitles you to call me glib, but there you go.
They are not calling you glib, they are calling your generalisation glib, and they have a point. McKellar will be responsible for the results if they are ultimately not good enough, the buck stops with him as Head Coach.

But he is not and cannot be responsible for the players not being fit enough. That falls under the remit of the S&C coach, that is entirely his job. Using your logic Aled should get zero credit for his work, it was all down to Steve Borthwick.

The obsession of so many fans to pin every fault on McKellar is tiresome and tedious. You don’t have to like or rate the bloke, but stating every fault is his is nonsense.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Players not being fit enough is also their own fault.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Harley1850
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Harley1850 »

Oh no Healey is commentating 🤬
I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway, you're on the same wavelength as the referees.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Lieutenant Dan in with the first score. Positive start all round.
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Try by the try scoring machine Danny Hassell Cole