Tigers social post about threats

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Tigers social post about threats

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tigers have released a couple of tweets on Twitter (I refuse to refer to it as anything else) regarding threats made to players and staff:

While we understand the disappointment following today's result, personal threats or abuse directed at players, coaches and / or staff on social media is not acceptable and will not be tolerated by the club.

Please, keep it civil

Followed by:

Please note:

We have seen and received reports from fellow fans with examples of abuse which, if deemed necessary, will result in formal action against Season Ticket Holders or supporters identified as directing abusive or threatening language towards individuals.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers social post about threats

Post by sapajo »

Indeed but it must apply to everyone that resorts to abusive and/or threatening behaviour no matter who they are.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

I was like most disappointed at today's result, however if we as a club are starting down the road of attracting so called supporters with football supporter mentality then the rugby family is doomed. If this is the way the game is going I will after holding a season ticket for 37 years will walk away and watch from my armchair. This type of behavior needs to be dealt with by the club with the maximum sanctions they can impose. Save our game and the rugby family.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Completely agree.

So disappointed by the result, but personal abuse or threats are not acceptable, and are far more disappointing than the result.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Truefollower wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 pm I was like most disappointed at today's result, however if we as a club are starting down the road of attracting so called supporters with football supporter mentality then the rugby family is doomed. If this is the way the game is going I will after holding a season ticket for 37 years will walk away and watch from my armchair. This type of behavior needs to be dealt with by the club with the maximum sanctions they can impose. Save our game and the rugby family.
It's nothing to do with football*, it's all to with absolute idiots thinking it's ok because of the anonymity of the Internet. It's rife throughout all walks of social media life and it's pathetic.

* If rugby fans want to take the high ground they really need to stop comparing rugby with football. When you have 10 times the people watching there will be 10 times the idiots.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

ads wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:03 pm
Truefollower wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 pm I was like most disappointed at today's result, however if we as a club are starting down the road of attracting so called supporters with football supporter mentality then the rugby family is doomed. If this is the way the game is going I will after holding a season ticket for 37 years will walk away and watch from my armchair. This type of behavior needs to be dealt with by the club with the maximum sanctions they can impose. Save our game and the rugby family.
It's nothing to do with football*, it's all to with absolute idiots thinking it's ok because of the anonymity of the Internet. It's rife throughout all walks of social media life and it's pathetic.

* If rugby fans want to take the high ground they really need to stop comparing rugby with football. When you have 10 times the people watching there will be 10 times the idiots.
Apparently, it was not just on the anti-social media but inside the ground directly at the players. That IS football behaviour.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 pm Indeed but it must apply to everyone that resorts to abusive and/or threatening behaviour no matter who they are.
Agreed. The definition of ‘abusive’ is an interesting one though. I, for one, think there are many posts on this very forum that edge into the ‘abusive’, whether that be towards other posters or members of staff and one of the reasons I only dip in and out these days.

Take the ‘targeting’ of Whiteley at the moment. Whiteley did not lose us that game yesterday, yet there are calls for him to be let go and more general scapegoating, which is completely over the top.

My measure is ‘would you be prepared to make that statement directly to the subject of the statement’? I suspect in most cases the true answer would be ‘no’. I’m all for robust rugby debate and people’s right to express their opinions, but there is a limit. And to label this a ‘football issue’ is completely trite. It is a societal issue and a very sad one. Maybe we’ve always been like that as a society, but now of course there are so many different ways to make those opinions public.

Sometimes it’s easy to get carried away and dismiss it as ‘bants’. Maybe I’m guilty myself. I hope not, but perhaps something like the statement the club put out is the jolt we need to perhaps take a step back and reassess and some good may come out of it. After all, it’s only a game. You only need to open a newspaper or your preferred web browser to realise there’re many more serious things going on out in the world right now.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm

Apparently, it was not just on the anti-social media but inside the ground directly at the players. That IS football behaviour.
This society of today has zero respect or personal control, people think they have a right to say what they like to who they like without any retribution, it's not a sport thing it is a breakdown in Society.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm

This society of today has zero respect or personal control, people think they have a right to say what they like to who they like without any retribution, it's not a sport thing it is a breakdown in Society.
"Retribution" is inappropriate under the circumstances. I think "redress" is more fitting
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 pm people think they have a right to say what they like
Isn't this called freedom of speech!? :smt040 IMHO Censorship is probably at its worst for a long time now. You are no longer allowed to call an apple an apple (think gender politics) without fear of retribution.

However, I 100% agree that any abuse or threats are a different thing and should, in no way be tolerated, and anybody found guilty of this should have serious penalties, and should not be welcome in the rugby community again. This is horrendous.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 pm Indeed but it must apply to everyone that resorts to abusive and/or threatening behaviour no matter who they are.
Agreed. The definition of ‘abusive’ is an interesting one though. I, for one, think there are many posts on this very forum that edge into the ‘abusive’, whether that be towards other posters or members of staff and one of the reasons I only dip in and out these days.

Take the ‘targeting’ of Whiteley at the moment. Whiteley did not lose us that game yesterday, yet there are calls for him to be let go and more general scapegoating, which is completely over the top.

My measure is ‘would you be prepared to make that statement directly to the subject of the statement’? I suspect in most cases the true answer would be ‘no’. I’m all for robust rugby debate and people’s right to express their opinions, but there is a limit. And to label this a ‘football issue’ is completely trite. It is a societal issue and a very sad one. Maybe we’ve always been like that as a society, but now of course there are so many different ways to make those opinions public.

Sometimes it’s easy to get carried away and dismiss it as ‘bants’. Maybe I’m guilty myself. I hope not, but perhaps something like the statement the club put out is the jolt we need to perhaps take a step back and reassess and some good may come out of it. After all, it’s only a game. You only need to open a newspaper or your preferred web browser to realise there’re many more serious things going on out in the world right now.
100%.....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Pellsey wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:40 am
tigerburnie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 pm people think they have a right to say what they like
Isn't this called freedom of speech!? :smt040 IMHO Censorship is probably at its worst for a long time now. You are no longer allowed to call an apple an apple (think gender politics) without fear of retribution.
Free speech does not give licence to breaking the law of the land, being abusive is not exercising free speech it is a criminal offence. Now your further comment referencing gender politics as you call it is another debate altogether.
Those involved in our game would not want it to go the way of a sport where violence has almost become acceptable and it is now unsafe to go as a general member of the public. A recent event in Perth where a 10 year old was injured by a thrown pyrotechnic(flare) has sent some shockwaves through Scottish sport at the moment, rugby must ensure we are not on a slippery slope, safety for officials, players and paying spectators has to be paramount.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I am both saddened but unsurprised by this. I have recently deleted all social media accounts, and in future will be severely restricting my posts on this forum, only checking in for updates on players incoming and outgoing
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:11 am
Pellsey wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:40 am
Those involved in our game would not want it to go the way of a sport where violence has almost become acceptable and it is now unsafe to go as a general member of the public. A recent event in Perth where a 10 year old was injured by a thrown pyrotechnic(flare) has sent some shockwaves through Scottish sport at the moment, rugby must ensure we are not on a slippery slope, safety for officials, players and paying spectators has to be paramount.
With this I could honestly not agree more. Rugby has always been a gentleman's / lady's game (for spectators anyway) and I would certainly fight for it to remain such.

As for Scottish laws, that is another debate :smt040