Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Post by RagingBull »

It's like every club win and the sun shines out of every :censored:, loses and suddenly they smell worse than everyone else :censored:.
Same Bristol fans by 60 minutes where prob saying that their game plan sucked and didn't work out.

Brown going off and Thacker coming on swung the game. We lost our heads again and that was what won it for the Bears. Brown stays on Bears don't win that penalty we don't lose that or IMO concede a second.
AnneM

Post by AnneM »

It was simple.

Why, with so little time on the clock. did we kick the ball away!!!

The lads must have heard the express "Up your jumper time".
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Agree with RaginBull. So now let’s put it right v Exeter and Sale starting by trusting some of the youngsters like Carnduff, Vanes, FFT etc. into the squad or be really brave and put Cole, Montoya and Wiese on the bench especially if Heyes is fit!
As for fitness: it’s an odd one as vLeinster and Newcastle we looked very good but maybe Ollie Richardson could spend some time with Walters as at times we do look tired but is that because we had some many yellow and red cards?
I will travel to Sale hoping to end our run of league losses.
Maybe it’s time to some of the Senior players to really stand up in the next two weeks and get the whole squad together to really iron out the issues.
Look at Sale: had a dreadful time until the last 3 games then, according to Sanderson, George Ford took it upon himself to get the backs playing in a more clinical way!
And don’t blame Whitely: the lack of taking of any points in those first 12 minutes was incredibly naive. Build the score and then teams will think twice about giving penalties away early in the game.
So,treat the last two games as a chance to give the promising youngsters some invaluable Premiership experience: is DMK brave enough!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Positives from the game, Kelly at 12, Steward at 15, Martin and Chessu m in the 2nd row.
Whitely is getting stuck for that kick but actually it was a decent kick jus short of the 22 we were first to it and played it back but failed to secure it,had we done so we would have had forward momentum.
Obviously we were then punished yet again because Matt O'Connor pushed Harry Thacker out of Tigers.. We had plenty of possession and territory but we're not clinical enough to score the tried we should have done.
Brown unlucky with both yellows, the first for playing the ball whilst on the ground, correct but if he head not been hit from an off side position he would not have been on the ground, and how did the officials miss the obvious Genge knock on. The second yellow to me just a rugby incident but I think a lot of refs would have given it these days.
Our bench players were a big drop from the guys that went off, I don't know why so many players are unable to play for 80 minutes
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 am It's like every club win and the sun shines out of every :censored:, loses and suddenly they smell worse than everyone else :censored:.
Same Bristol fans by 60 minutes where prob saying that their game plan sucked and didn't work out.

Brown going off and Thacker coming on swung the game. We lost our heads again and that was what won it for the Bears. Brown stays on Bears don't win that penalty we don't lose that or IMO concede a second.
Brown doesn't connect quite so hard with van Rensburg's head and he doesn't stay down and the HIA isn't required. No penalty, Tigers keep applying the pressure, as at that point Bristol were pinned in their 22, and probably score the fourth try for a TBP.

Two of the Bristol tries came from Thacker getting the ball in space from a ricochet. I can't remember if it was the first of second where a Tigers player didn't quite keep hold of an interception and Thacker suddenly found himself in space. Keep hold of that interception and we probably score the fourth as well.

Fine margins. A couple more percent in attack and that game is a walkover. We just fell off that couple of percent at key times.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

These last few games seem born out of our poor and cheaper journey men recruitment over that last 2/3 seasons, and an inability to consistently bring talent through our academy. Now I appreciate we’re not millionaire own like bath so can’t go out and buy a new 1st team squad like they have, but since winning the league outside 2/3 players we have really recruited any out and out 1st team players and more and more 2nd/3rd choice players from other clubs, and held on to player who ain’t going to improve to a high enough level to complete for the league, whilst letting players go who have a chance to improve and possibly do that.
So in games like the last two cards aside once we started to bring on subs there’s just to high a drop off in standards and team are able to get back into it or run away with it.
Last edited by Stephen18 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The tactic of "kick to compete" seems to me to have become more dangerous with players batting the ball backwards in broken field play with no real control on where the ball will end up.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:41 am These last few games seem born out of our poor and cheaper journey men recruitment over that last 2/3 seasons, and an inability to consistently bring talent through our academy. Now I appreciate we’re not millionaire own like bath so can’t go out and buy a new 1st team squad like they have, but since winning the league outside 2/3 players we have really recruited any out and out 1st team players and more and more 2nd/3rd choice players from other clubs, and held on to player who ain’t going to improve to a high enough level to complete for the league, whilst letting players go who have a chance to improve and possibly do that.
So in games like the last two cards aside once we started to bring on subs there’s just to high a drop off in standards and team are able to get back into it or run away with it.
Strikes me its a business decision put up season ticket prices and reduce the qty and quality of the squad thereby reducing costs and making more money. I simply do not believe we are currently spend upto the cap despite what we are told and if we did we would have the same depth as the likes of Sarries, Sale, Quins, Bath and Saints. We have recruited poorly last season and this season our strength in depth has been left thread bare
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 am Agree with RaginBull. So now let’s put it right v Exeter and Sale starting by trusting some of the youngsters like Carnduff, Vanes, FFT etc. into the squad or be really brave and put Cole, Montoya and Wiese on the bench especially if Heyes is fit!
As for fitness: it’s an odd one as vLeinster and Newcastle we looked very good but maybe Ollie Richardson could spend some time with Walters as at times we do look tired but is that because we had some many yellow and red cards?
Maybe it’s time to some of the Senior players to really stand up in the next two weeks and get the whole squad together to really iron out the issues.
Look at Sale: had a dreadful time until the last 3 games then, according to Sanderson, George Ford took it upon himself to get the backs playing in a more clinical way!
And don’t blame Whitely: the lack of taking of any points in those first 12 minutes was incredibly naive. Build the score and then teams will think twice about giving penalties away early in the game.
So,treat the last two games as a chance to give the promising youngsters some invaluable Premiership experience: is DMK brave enough!
I do blame Whiteley no possible excuse for kicking the ball away to the opposition when you are winning with 2 mins left on the clock !
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:35 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 am Agree with RaginBull. So now let’s put it right v Exeter and Sale starting by trusting some of the youngsters like Carnduff, Vanes, FFT etc. into the squad or be really brave and put Cole, Montoya and Wiese on the bench especially if Heyes is fit!
I do blame Whiteley no possible excuse for kicking the ball away to the opposition when you are winning with 2 mins left on the clock !
Where I was on the Bears 22 you could've been deafened by the groans and 'Nooooo' when Whiteley kicked. We all knew it was a lethal error.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:51 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:35 pm
Where I was on the Bears 22 you could've been deafened by the groans and 'Nooooo' when Whiteley kicked. We all knew it was a lethal error.
Yep and I find it astounding that even still just how many on here thinks it had nothing at all to do with the outcome . None as blind as those that refuse to see.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:31 pm
Stephen18 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:41 am These last few games seem born out of our poor and cheaper journey men recruitment over that last 2/3 seasons, and an inability to consistently bring talent through our academy. Now I appreciate we’re not millionaire own like bath so can’t go out and buy a new 1st team squad like they have, but since winning the league outside 2/3 players we have really recruited any out and out 1st team players and more and more 2nd/3rd choice players from other clubs, and held on to player who ain’t going to improve to a high enough level to complete for the league, whilst letting players go who have a chance to improve and possibly do that.
Strikes me its a business decision put up season ticket prices and reduce the qty and quality of the squad thereby reducing costs and making more money. I simply do not believe we are currently spend upto the cap despite what we are told and if we did we would have the same depth as the likes of Sarries, Sale, Quins, Bath and Saints. We have recruited poorly last season and this season our strength in depth has been left thread bare
I also question if at this point in time the club can afford to run both a man’s and women’s team and make both or either competitive.
It seem at the minute we are paying a handful of international what they need, then we only have enough left for a mid-table squad.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Dont want to get involved in politics , dont know a Tigers woman player's name , but do we spend money on them at the expense of quality men, under the guise of'diversity??'
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

fortysix wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:09 pm Dont want to get involved in politics , dont know a Tigers woman player's name , but do we spend money on them at the expense of quality men, under the guise of'diversity??'
I’d have thought we only have 1 pot of money that everything has to come from. The idea of running a women’s team is a great one and I think it’s probably the biggest growth area in the game. But you have to be able to afford to do it, and I don’t think we can.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:16 pm
fortysix wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:09 pm Dont want to get involved in politics , dont know a Tigers woman player's name , but do we spend money on them at the expense of quality men, under the guise of'diversity??'
I’d have thought we only have 1 pot of money that everything has to come from. The idea of running a women’s team is a great one and I think it’s probably the biggest growth area in the game. But you have to be able to afford to do it, and I don’t think we can.
If Andrea has stated that we are spending up to the cap, then the presence of a Women’s team has absolutely no impact on that!
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.