Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I think the chance of making top 4 is sadly no longer a reality so I’d like to see us play without the pressure, perhaps use these remaining games as a chance to look at things ahead of next season.

Option 1:

15 Brown
14 Steward
13 Kelly
12 Cokanasiga
11 Hassell-Collins
10 Pollard
9 van Poortvliet
1 Whitcombe
2 Montoya
3 Cole
4 Martin (Wells if not fit)
5 Chessum
6 Carnduff
7 Liebenberg (Ilione if not fit)
8 Wiese

REPLACEMENTS

16 Clare
17 Cronin
18 Hurd
19 Wells (Hatherall if Wells starts)
20 Cracknell
21 Ilione
22 Youngs
23 Shillcock

Option 2:

15 Brown
14 Steward
13 Kelly
12 Woodward
11 Hassell-Collins
10 Pollard
9 van Poortvliet
1 Whitcombe
2 Montoya
3 Cole
4 Martin
5 Chessum
6 Carnduff
7 Ilione
8 Liebenberg

REPLACEMENTS

16 Theobald-Thomas
17 Cronin
18 Hurd
19 Wells
20 Wiese
21 Edwards
22 Wilkinson
23 Cokanasiga

No sure about fitness of Liebenberg or Martin but that’s what I would go for. Reffell won’t be available having failed his HIA vs Saints. Would have played Kata at 14 and Steward at 15 but clearly his red card rules that out. I much prefer Steward at 15 but with most of our winger options unavailable I think he will start at 14. I really hope for a big performance but this won’t be easy. Bristol have just put 85 points on Newcastle so this one could be a cracker!
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Post by sapajo »

Think you can rule out Kata following his red card.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:04 am Think you can rule out Kata following his red card.
Oh yes how could I forget that! :smt012 will edit..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:54 am I think the chance of making top 4 is sadly no longer a reality so I’d like to see us play without the pressure, perhaps use these remaining games as a chance to look at things ahead of next season.

15 Brown
14 Steward
13 Kelly
12 Cokanasiga
11 Hassell-Collins
10 Pollard
9 van Poortvliet
1 Whitcombe
2 Montoya
3 Cole
5 Chessum
6 Carnduff
8 Wiese

REPLACEMENTS

16 Clare
17 Cronin
18 Hurd
20 Cracknell
21 Ilione
22 Youngs
23 Shillcock

No sure about fitness of Liebenberg or Martin but that’s what I would go for. Reffell won’t be available having failed his HIA vs Saints. Would have played Kata at 14 and Steward at 15 but clearly his red card rules that out. I much prefer Steward at 15 but with most of our winger options unavailable I think he will start at 14. I really hope for a big performance but this won’t be easy. Bristol have just put 85 points on Newcastle so this one could be a cracker!
If we are trying things for next season I’d rather give Woodward a shot at 12 with either Kelly/Scott outside him as opposed to Cokanasiga. If it’s not quite working then bring him off the bench but why not give Jo a start?

Otherwise I largely agree with the team. Defence will be sternly tested vs Bristols attack much like Saints’ - discipline will be key.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:30 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:54 am I think the chance of making top 4 is sadly no longer a reality so I’d like to see us play without the pressure, perhaps use these remaining games as a chance to look at things ahead of next season.

15 Brown
14 Steward
13 Kelly
12 Cokanasiga
11 Hassell-Collins
10 Pollard
9 van Poortvliet
1 Whitcombe
2 Montoya
3 Cole
5 Chessum
6 Carnduff
8 Wiese

REPLACEMENTS

16 Clare
17 Cronin
18 Hurd
20 Cracknell
21 Ilione
22 Youngs
23 Shillcock

If we are trying things for next season I’d rather give Woodward a shot at 12 with either Kelly/Scott outside him as opposed to Cokanasiga. If it’s not quite working then bring him off the bench but why not give Jo a start?

Otherwise I largely agree with the team. Defence will be sternly tested vs Bristols attack much like Saints’ - discipline will be key.
Woodward is a good option and with Cokanasiga off next season it would make sense. I guess it’s a balancing act with going as strong as we can to be competitive but also a chance to try a few things ahead of next season. Personally I’d like to see Carnduff and Ilione starting at some stage but I don’t think DMK will go for that.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Time to give a few of the youngsters more minutes, it's a rare opportunity with 3 games and nothing to lose.

Carnduff should start all 3 games, Hanro should play at 8 when fit if that's the plan for next season. Ilione needs a lot more minutes. FTT and Vanes, if fit, should be in squads. Woodward paired with Kata or Kelly (if not going to Munster).

As long as the likes of Wiese etc who are leaving get on the pitch in the final home game.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

At the risk of being the harbinger of doom, i can see this one getting messy - we are massively out of form and seemingly struggle against teams that attack from all angles.

We need to slow their ball down and have pace throughout to cope wiht their attacking threats. Without Reffell I fear we'll struggle to slow their ball down and as we are saying on other threads, we don't really have that many options pace wise. Ilione has to start IMO but probably won't but that is more out of hope than expectation that he can suddenly start and find a way to make an impact having barely played all season.

I imagine it will be more the same with an emphasis of keeping 15 men on the field and forcing them to play from deep. Therefore lots of box kicks, little risk and try and make the game and breakdown as physical and slow as is possible. Force some mistakes and play some rugby ball in hand in their 22 if our forwards can get on top.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re:Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Post by RunTigerRun »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:44 am Time to give a few of the youngsters more minutes, it's a rare opportunity with 3 games and nothing to lose.

Carnduff should start all 3 games, Hanro should play at 8 when fit if that's the plan for next season. Ilione needs a lot more minutes. FTT and Vanes, if fit, should be in squads. Woodward paired with Kata or Kelly (if not going to Munster).

As long as the likes of Wiese etc who are leaving get on the pitch in the final home game.
Agree on Finn @6 for all 3 games, Hanro and Jasper rotating between 8 and 20 to keep fresh and add impact would be good. Even Hanro and Finn rotating would be a plus. Emeka starting at 7 if a Tommy is not fit. Have Julian and both of FTT and Archie rotating would also be good for minutes. Woodward and maybe even Myall a bench spot one game with one of Gourlay/Kinder perhaps? Just a chance to see the guys who will hopefully be more involved next season.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Top 8 into Champions Cup. We are 12 points ahead of Glos with 3 to play. Glos have home fixtures against Exeter and Newcastle and an away trip to Saints remaining. Can’t see them getting much against Saints and Exeter. So on that basis we should remain in the top 8 regardless of our results. Glos also have the SF of the Challenge Cup that they will be focusing on.

With that in mind perhaps we may see some of the younger lads get some minutes
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:46 am Top 8 into Champions Cup. We are 12 points ahead of Glos with 3 to play. Glos have home fixtures against Exeter and Newcastle and an away trip to Saints remaining. Can’t see them getting much against Saints and Exeter. So on that basis we should remain in the top 8 regardless of our results. Glos also have the SF of the Challenge Cup that they will be focusing on.

Agree with this. 8th position is pretty much guaranteed, so look to the future.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ads wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:10 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:46 am Top 8 into Champions Cup. We are 12 points ahead of Glos with 3 to play. Glos have home fixtures against Exeter and Newcastle and an away trip to Saints remaining. Can’t see them getting much against Saints and Exeter. So on that basis we should remain in the top 8 regardless of our results. Glos also have the SF of the Challenge Cup that they will be focusing on.

Agree with this. 8th position is pretty much guaranteed, so look to the future.
It's a difficult one to judge with 3 games still remaining. My heart says mix in the young lads my head says go for experience
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I know it's unlikely, but whilst there's still a chance of Top 4 we should be going full beans in my opinion, otherwise the "they've given up" brigade will have a stronger case. As good as Bristol have been, the small pitch doesn't really suit their game and gives our defence a better chance of shutting them down. I'd be going all out to silence the doubters and go all out for the win. I don't think you can underestimate the damage that might be caused if we throw some youngsters into the mix and get taken apart, which is what Gloucester seem to be doing occasionally. I'm not sure if it helps.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I think that Bristol v Newcastle was a result waiting to happen with a weakened Falcons team , played on a wide grass pitch which was probably soft and draining on the players. Whilst Bristol looked good, the Falcons tired (normally on a 4g pitch) and Bristol took full advantage. Saturday will be a lot tighter and Tigers are in with a shout of taking the spoils.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:26 am I know it's unlikely, but whilst there's still a chance of Top 4 we should be going full beans in my opinion, otherwise the "they've given up" brigade will have a stronger case.
This is it for me. 15 points (and keeping opposition to 0 points) 100% ensures minimum of 5th place, likely 4th place (if Saints beat Quins and Sarries beat Bristol the next week. Or if just one of those results happen, then the other one wins Bristol v Quins last week of the season.)

Do I think we can get 15 points from the last 3 games... NO

However while we are still in the mix for top 4 I want us all guns blazing. I mean there are still mathematical ways of us being top 4 with only 2 wins out of 3.

While we can still win the league we should at very least try
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:39 am
westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:26 am I know it's unlikely, but whilst there's still a chance of Top 4 we should be going full beans in my opinion, otherwise the "they've given up" brigade will have a stronger case.
This is it for me. 15 points (and keeping opposition to 0 points) 100% ensures minimum of 5th place, likely 4th place (if Saints beat Quins and Sarries beat Bristol the next week. Or if just one of those results happen, then the other one wins Bristol v Quins last week of the season.)

Do I think we can get 15 points from the last 3 games... NO

However while we are still in the mix for top 4 I want us all guns blazing. I mean there are still mathematical ways of us being top 4 with only 2 wins out of 3.

While we can still win the league we should at very least try
Agreed, being honest, i don't think we have that many options outside of the best players anyway - its a big ask to play those youngsters that haven't been in and around the 1st team squad to just play the final 3 games against decent oppositoin and find their level.

And to put a positive spin on it, we will (and should) back ourselves at home irrespective of the team. Obviously, an open fast game suits Bristol better than us so If we can get ontop physically and territorially then build some scoreboard pressure we can take the game away from Bristol.