Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 pm The replacements today just added nothing for me. You can blame Whiteley all you want but it was obviously the instructions he’d got. So don’t blame the player.
I think he probably slices the kick. If it goes deep into the Bristol 22 with Steward in pursuit then it's an aerial battle and Bristol can't afford to make a mistake. As it was it barely went 10m and Steward had to check his run which limited his height. He still gets to the ball but has to palm it back instead of catching. Whiteley maybe following instructions but the execution is poor.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:43 pm Final time I'll mention it, but just saw the second yellow again on Twitter - not a single Bristol player appeals. None of them even flinch, they just carry on with the game. It's a bonkers decision. I don't think it's even a penalty.
They have to review it, van Rensburg was leaving the field for a HIA. Brown gets it wrong and makes head contact, he's always upright. Yes, it is on the soft end of the scale but he put himself in that position and the yellow in the first half was completely unnecessary.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 pm The replacements today just added nothing for me. You can blame Whiteley all you want but it was obviously the instructions he’d got. So don’t blame the player.
I think he probably slices the kick. If it goes deep into the Bristol 22 with Steward in pursuit then it's an aerial battle and Bristol can't afford to make a mistake. As it was it barely went 10m and Steward had to check his run which limited his height. He still gets to the ball but has to palm it back instead of catching. Whiteley maybe following instructions but the execution is poor.
Whitley miskicks a lot of his box kicks, there is a reason at his age he's never been more than a journeyman 3rd choice at best 9
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Mckellar did say post match that he would be having words with Whiteley as it was the players decision,
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Whatever the refs shortcomings and/or errors,
please tell me what is worse ,the ref or our discipline ?
Gotta start learning....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop »

That was abject. TW should be fired right now. Utterly inept. There is no way that the players are being coached to play this poorly. These are supposed to be professional and experienced players, so how can they consistently make such outright stupid decisions? Tigers have no given right to win every game, but the supporters expect far more than we are being subjected to. We have coughed up far too many defeats from winning positions.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 pm
Mckellar did say post match that he would be having words with Whiteley as it was the players decision,
That sums it up then. Happens a lot, we gift possession back to a dangerous side in the final stages. Not good enough decision making at this level. And Edwards has just been let go!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

keeping Joe Powell as bad as he was playing would have been a better call than Whitley
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:07 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 pm

That sums it up then. Happens a lot, we gift possession back to a dangerous side in the final stages. Not good enough decision making at this level. And Edwards has just been let go!
Whether it sums it up or not, a Head Coach chucking players under the bus is not a good thing in my book. To be fair, didn’t see or hear the interview so missing context but those kind of things should be handled behind closed doors IMO, even if the cover phrase of “we’ll discuss it within the group” implies the same thing when reading between lines.

Agree with your points though OakhamTiger32
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

As ever, many people are fixating on the last 10 (or even last 2) minutes.

For me, the first 70 minutes contained some of the most cohesive periods of our entire season. In attack, we maintained field position and thus pressure until they had a player binned. We then capitalised on that period and followed it up with a great defensive set to keep them scoreless, despite us going down to 14 men.

As discussed at length, Kelly looked like he was returning to some good form, and Hassell-Collins responded well to last week’s performance by finishing a couple of tries. Chessum and Martin are a lock pairing that has the potential to go down in Tigers history.

On another day, with higher levels of fitness, stronger (front row) replacements (and possibly a different set of officials), I could genuinely see us keeping them scoreless.

Sort out the fitness, which has lead to capitulations against Gloucester, Northampton, and Bristol, and we’ll definitely be in the mix next season.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The biggest gripe with the Mike Brown take is that I see Jasper get hit like that 10 times a game. But no punishment is given because he’s a hard git.

The end result shouldn’t be a determining play. It needs to be reffed equally
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:29 pm As ever, many people are fixating on the last 10 (or even last 2) minutes.

For me, the first 70 minutes contained some of the most cohesive periods of our entire season. In attack, we maintained field position and thus pressure until they had a player binned. We then capitalised on that period and followed it up with a great defensive set to keep them scoreless, despite us going down to 14 men.

As discussed at length, Kelly looked like he was returning to some good form, and Hassell-Collins responded well to last week’s performance by finishing a couple of tries. Chessum and Martin are a lock pairing that has the potential to go down in Tigers history.

On another day, with higher levels of fitness, stronger (front row) replacements (and possibly a different set of officials), I could genuinely see us keeping them scoreless.

Sort out the fitness, which has lead to capitulations against Gloucester, Northampton, and Bristol, and we’ll definitely be in the mix next season.
The result truly reflects the 80min performance and I see no excuses for that meltdown whatsoever
Last edited by sapajo on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm The biggest gripe with the Mike Brown take is that I see Jasper get hit like that 10 times a game. But no punishment is given because he’s a hard git.

The end result shouldn’t be a determining play. It needs to be reffed equally
Van Rensenburg milked that penalty to perfection and acted like he had been shot in the head until Carley came over to see him
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:29 pmAs ever, many people are fixating on the last 10 (or even last 2) minutes.
Today the last 10, or 2, are so standout they deserve the focus IMO.

To compare to football, if a goalkeeper makes 5 fines saves and keeps a team in the game but drops a monumental clanger in the last minute and they lose 1-0 no-one remembers the earlier saves - even though without them the game was long gone - they may not be given due credit until long after the dust has settled. Such is the nature of sport.

It could be said that the earlier possession and pressure we had that wasn’t fully exploited (maybe) was wasted possession and pressure. In the long run there are slight glimmers of hope popping through that some things can come together and be better in future but in the here and now…....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

16. FTT
17. Whitcombe
18. Hurd
19. Hatherall
20. Cracknell
21. Youngs
22. Shillcock
23. Cokanasiga

And imo we win that game.

Clare, FVW, Hurd, Wells, Cracknell are all just solid players. No dynamism between at all.
If the front row isn’t going to win scrums might as well bring something else.

FTT should be trusted now, he’s like an extra flanker

Even taking away the way we player McKeller management selection is worrying, I just don’t think he gets how important impact is off the bench.