Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bristol (H) - Premiership - Saturday 27th April 2024 - KO: 15-00

Post by sapajo »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:29 pm
Stephen18 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:16 pm
fortysix wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:09 pm Dont want to get involved in politics , dont know a Tigers woman player's name , but do we spend money on them at the expense of quality men, under the guise of'diversity??'
I’d have thought we only have 1 pot of money that everything has to come from. The idea of running a women’s team is a great one and I think it’s probably the biggest growth area in the game. But you have to be able to afford to do it, and I don’t think we can.
If Andrea has stated that we are spending up to the cap, then the presence of a Women’s team has absolutely no impact on that!
Indeed she has stated that. but I fail to see the evidence of it given this seasons comings and goings and the fact that we were paid handsomely by the RFU for Borthwick and Sinfield. Where has this money gone and why has the quality and depth of our squad been so denuded for next season ? Fact is we shall be paying more to watch whats left
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I feel it’s pretty clear we spend up to the cap tbh

During the premiership winning season we got lucky in that you had a decent amount of experience players all with no contracts anywhere
Wigglesworth
Murimurivalu
Taute
Montoya
Moroni
Ashton
Saumaki
Socino
Burns
All either had no other contracts, playing for a second tier 2 in another country or their club had just dissolved.

Then you had the unknowns like Wiese, Potter, Porter

Add into all the young players on their first contract.

Prob the one true big budget spending signing was MVS who was arguably not worth it in the end with hindsight.

But I guess the question is this McGinty v Wilks in terms of finding the value? Or is it potentially there isn’t the same experience on the market atm? Is there any Wigglesworths or Ashtons about? Was it genuinely a very lucky season?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:44 pm
I’d have thought we only have 1 pot of money that everything has to come from. The idea of running a women’s team is a great one and I think it’s probably the biggest growth area in the game. But you have to be able to afford to do it, and I don’t think we can.
If Andrea has stated that we are spending up to the cap, then the presence of a Women’s team has absolutely no impact on that!
Indeed she has stated that. but I fail to see the evidence of it given this seasons comings and goings and the fact that we were paid handsomely by the RFU for Borthwick and Sinfield. Where has this money gone and why has the quality and depth of our squad been so denuded for next season ? Fact is we shall be paying more to watch whats left

I mean not much point in talking about the comings and going for next season until we know what is the actual squad surely?
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

fortysix wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:09 pm Dont want to get involved in politics , dont know a Tigers woman player's name , but do we spend money on them at the expense of quality men, under the guise of'diversity??'
:smt017

We have a womens team because we are a top flight rugby club and representing women as well as men matches our ambition (and also the demographic of our supporters, unsurprisingly). Take the culture war nonsense elsewhere.
Ellie
Tiger Cub

Post by Ellie »

Agreed, but it does impact the finances of the club. If the women’s team/game doesn’t cover its cost (which I doubt it does at the moment) then it has to be financed from revenue elsewhere. I think the comment about “diversity” is irrelevant, women’s rugby is a massive growth area and Tigers were late to the party, they are now playing catch up when finances are tight, but having the team is the right move in my opinion. If the men’s prices keep on going up I’ll switch to only watching the women’s team and as many Red Roses games as I can get to.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:56 pm

I mean not much point in talking about the comings and going for next season until we know what is the actual squad surely?
Well its not as if the signings of Perese and Smith are not known and all the leavers are unknown?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The worrying thing is the deterioration since we got or internationals back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:54 pm I feel it’s pretty clear we spend up to the cap tbh

During the premiership winning season we got lucky in that you had a decent amount of experience players all with no contracts anywhere
Wigglesworth
Murimurivalu
Taute
Montoya
Moroni
Ashton
Saumaki
Socino
Burns
All either had no other contracts, playing for a second tier 2 in another country or their club had just dissolved.

Prob the one true big budget spending signing was MVS who was arguably not worth it in the end with hindsight.

But I guess the question is this McGinty v Wilks in terms of finding the value? Or is it potentially there isn’t the same experience on the market atm? Is there any Wigglesworths or Ashtons about? Was it genuinely a very lucky season?
You make your own luck !
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:09 pm

Well its not as if the signings of Perese and Smith are not known and all the leavers are unknown?
Historically we usually announce like 2/3 or so signings at the end of season

May onwards time
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:11 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:54 pm I feel it’s pretty clear we spend up to the cap tbh

Wigglesworth
Murimurivalu
Taute
Montoya
Moroni
Ashton
Saumaki
Socino
Burns

You make your own luck !
to an extent that’s true
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:27 am Regrettably I have seen nothing recently to suggest that under this coach we will improve. Witness the same comments by supporters after every game. I don't blame the players. The way they play is an indication of how they are being coached - not very well from what I can see.
I really think some people need to show a bit more patience and give Mckellar a fair crack. This is not an O'Connor or even Murphy situation IMO. We have been in the fight most games this season, including against some very good teams that have had a long time to build.

We have core of a good squad. Get an attack coach in, a pre-season with the new coaching team and a few new personnel and let's see how we go.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Lot of talk about the officials and some of their decisions. We were lucky they disallowed the Oghre try - looked a flat pass to me.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:14 pm

May onwards time
Your right. So that accounts for Perese and Smith and perhaps a 3rd unknown?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:19 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:27 am Regrettably I have seen nothing recently to suggest that under this coach we will improve. Witness the same comments by supporters after every game. I don't blame the players. The way they play is an indication of how they are being coached - not very well from what I can see.
I really think some people need to show a bit more patience and give Mckellar a fair crack. This is not an O'Connor or even Murphy situation IMO. We have been in the fight most games this season, including against some very good teams that have had a long time to build.

We have core of a good squad. Get an attack coach in, a pre-season with the new coaching team and a few new personnel and let's see how we go.
I sincerely hope your right. An attack coach who can actually coach an attack is badly needed ! Preseason Montoya is never here nor Pollard and I guess the likes of JVP, Martin, Chessum, Steward and Heyes will be away in NZ on England duty.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:22 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:14 pm

May onwards time
Your right. So that accounts for Perese and Smith and perhaps a 3rd unknown?
I meant additional 2/3

Historically at least espcially any Premiership or players that are likely to be involved in a play offs