sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints (A) - Premiership - Saturday 20th April 2024 - KO: 15-05

Post by sapajo »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:50 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:26 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:24 pm

From this point on in the season I'm not really worried about the playoffs either.

We need to be focusing on fixing the things that are going wrong.
Fair point your are entitled to express your opinion
I think his point was right that they couldn’t focus on the playoffs they have to focus on the performance and if you get the performance right you win and that takes care of the play offs, and that what id like to see from them 1 consistent performance where they look like they could get to the playoff but they’ve never looked like they could. I think as has been pointed out that to all on mckellar and there’s no point getting rid of him to bring in someone who then has to rebuild again, and who else is out there who could do the job and turn this team around. Mckellar inherited this team from Murphy, Borthwick and wigglesworth and hasn’t bought players in to play his way, he has no attack coach he’d didn’t get his scrum coach until about November, and tiger haven’t built any strength depth in some of the most critical positions and have not move forward since winning the premiership where other teams have and have moved past us.
What you and I think does not change what Mckellar actually said. I have never advocated getting rid of Mckellar but I do have concerns over our poor performances all season.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:42 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:39 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:28 am What makes it worse in watching an easy on the eye Saints team, their coach is a Tiger.

The obsession with Tigers DNA is not helpful or true, the Tigers I started watching won games by skill & speed, assisted by a quality back row, our front 5 were anonymous.
Rowntree, Cockerell, Garforth, a chap called Johnson and Van Heerden and later Kay. Anonymous? Hmmmmmm!
That's later on for me, there was a Tigers team pre Professionalism.
I think these guys were "pre-professionals". Or at least transitioned into professionalism, probably kicking and screaming.

Certainly the bias has changed. An international selection showing Wheeler, possibly Cowling, Youngs, Cusworth, Dodge, Woodward and Hare would certainly be more backs biassed than White Cockers or Nobby, Johnno, Kay, Moody Back and Corry, the full pack minus a prop that went to world cup.....if you see what I mean. (And wig was unlucky not to go)

DNA? Certainly as soon as a league came into being Leicester were seen as a forward dominated side and I feel (memory is a funny thing) the run of success was built on that. I quite liked the fact that we "dogged out" wins against the Baths and Quins of this world with their star studded back lines!

Whether you agree with a forward dominated DNA or not the team as a whole was always stronger than the sum of its parts. That isn't there now (IMHO) That I feel is due to deficiencies in the coaching set up. These could be personnel or time based.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I may have got this wrong but in the season under SB when we won the championship didn’t SB say almost word for word what DM is saying? “The focus is now on performance in the next game, where we end up depends on how successful we are with our performance “.
Hehehehehehehehe
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:41 pm I may have got this wrong but in the season under SB when we won the championship didn’t SB say almost word for word what DM is saying? “The focus is now on performance in the next game, where we end up depends on how successful we are with our performance “.
It is an easy cliche to espouse. Actually putting it into practice by doing it is the true proof of the proverbial pudding
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The anonymous front 5 were Cowling, Wheeler, Redfern, Joyce and probably Collington

Wasn’t the worst front 5
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

I may have missed the posters who (I probably missed it when skipping the bickering) congratulated Northampton not only on the win and the manner in which they play the game, but also that they have built a winning team without any big name signings and by using an ex-player as head coach.
They are showing it can be done organically and within budget, it is galling to see but also a pleasure that they are showing what can be done with the right vision and organisation.
Well done to Northampton (spits)
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:08 pm The anonymous front 5 were Cowling, Wheeler, Redfern, Joyce and probably Collington

Wasn’t the worst front 5
It was Redfern, Tressler, Richardson, Faulkes-Arnold & Smith.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Samhorace
Tiger Cub

Post by Samhorace »

During the Borthwick period we built up a decent and I was looking forward to seeing the potential of that redevelop over the next few years. Much of that squad has moved on, Potter, Porter, Dolly and many more. The recruitment/replacements have not matched that evel of expectation, Cracknall, Hatherall, Rogerson and more recent announcements are uncertain improvements.

What has gone wtong?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Samhorace wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:25 pm During the Borthwick period we built up a decent and I was looking forward to seeing the potential of that redevelop over the next few years. Much of that squad has moved on, Potter, Porter, Dolly and many more. The recruitment/replacements have not matched that evel of expectation, Cracknall, Hatherall, Rogerson and more recent announcements are uncertain improvements.

What has gone wtong?
The 3 signings made to date for next season seem to be good to me.
A2O
Samhorace
Tiger Cub

Post by Samhorace »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:33 pm If you focus on the performance and get results, the play offs may be achieved.
Primary focus needs to be on the performances.
Well said.And that is the context that DMK was probably trying to get across
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Samhorace wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:25 pm During the Borthwick period we built up a decent and I was looking forward to seeing the potential of that redevelop over the next few years. Much of that squad has moved on, Potter, Porter, Dolly and many more. The recruitment/replacements have not matched that evel of expectation, Cracknall, Hatherall, Rogerson and more recent announcements are uncertain improvements.

What has gone wtong?
Agreed - we’ve lost Genge, Dolly, Nephi, Green, Wigglesworth, Ford, Potter, Nadolo, Van Staden, Burns, Moroni.

We are going to lose Wiese, Scott and Porter who were key players too.

All were key players either as starters or off the bench and the replacements basically aren’t as good. If our recruitment is done for next season and there isn’t anyone else it’s a sharp drop off IMO.

Being kind - Dolly for FTT could be seen as okay, Green retired but Carter wasn’t great and Handre / Ford is not too bad albeit Handre hasn’t been at his best post WC which can happen.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

BengalTiger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:32 pm I may have missed the posters who (I probably missed it when skipping the bickering) congratulated Northampton not only on the win and the manner in which they play the game, but also that they have built a winning team without any big name signings and by using an ex-player as head coach.
They are showing it can be done organically and within budget, it is galling to see but also a pleasure that they are showing what can be done with the right vision and organisation.
How dare you. How could you say such a thing. Wash your mouth out. Booooooo….

p.s. I totally agree with you (said in a whisper). I’d add that I’d wager that if OHC was with Saints he’d be one of the top scorers this season.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BengalTiger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:32 pm I may have missed the posters who (I probably missed it when skipping the bickering) congratulated Northampton not only on the win and the manner in which they play the game, but also that they have built a winning team without any big name signings and by using an ex-player as head coach.
Dowson inherited the ground work started by Boyd and was groomed as his successor as part of a long term vision for the future of their club. They have made some excellent coaching appointments with Vesty to the fore. The style of rugby that Saints now play so well was in clunky evidence under Boyd and is now finely tuned. Their recruitment of the likes of top quality young players like Smith and Pearson have been exellent and their academy has produced some excellent players like Langdon. Sleightholme. Freeman. Henley. Mitchell and Moon. That said they have brought in players from outside like Augustus and Grundahl.

Congrats to them for setting out a clear vision as to the style of rugby they want to play and planning then recruiting coaches and players who can realise their vision and are now finally reaping the seeds Boyd sewed with a young talented settled squad and coaches
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Also I think it would be fair to say Saints like Bath have managed to hoover up some very talented players with the likes of LI and Worcester going.

Langdon, Haffar, Munga, Pearson, Odendall have all added quality and depth where needed. Plus Davison who I think was a very astute signing and they’ve got a pack who isn’t as easily dominated - a weakness of theirs in the past.

They’ve always had good backs and a settled coaching team. Add in their new additions and it’s no wonder they’re doing so well.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

If Saints and Bath (who could not win a match last season) . It simply begs the question why can't we?
Last edited by sapajo on Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.