Tigers v Saints (A) - Premiership - Saturday 20th April 2024 - KO: 15-05

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints (A) - Premiership - Saturday 20th April 2024 - KO: 15-05

Post by sapajo »

Scuttle wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:24 am Apologies in advance if what I am about to say upsets anyone. I have heard management and coaches say things like "keeping the Tigers DNA" in how we play....strong scrum, powerful forwards, driving mauls. In fact I think AP even said DMK was hired partly because he would keep this "Tigers way". I can't remember when we had a dominant scum in a match and I think all teams have developed forward play to match Tigers. It just doesn't work anymore and other teams have developed very efficient attacking play. Even Sarries and Exeter have moved on in style.
I think we need to stop the talk of the "Tigers DNA" because it doesn't work and whilst ever we plough that furrow we won't get the fast attacking play with forwards/backs interplay we now see with other teams and it will block progress. We have heard talk of developing the attacking game, and seen flickers of it, but for me Tigers are falling between 2 stools at the moment. Its as if the players on the pitch are confused.
Someone earlier said similar, make the switch now and build for next season. And give DMK some more time in a more settled period.
Excellent post !
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

What makes it worse in watching an easy on the eye Saints team, their coach is a Tiger.

The obsession with Tigers DNA is not helpful or true, the Tigers I started watching won games by skill & speed, assisted by a quality back row, our front 5 were anonymous.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hi All,
I thought I’d visit as yesterday’s result would make for some emotional comments.
It was an excellent game to watch, competitive and but for the red card was set up for an exciting finish.
That Kata lad was playing well, it was unfortunate.
Leicester had many chances, two in particular earlier on when between them Shillcock and Steward didn’t take two easy chances, shared responsibility in my opinion.
When you’re away at the top of the table team you can rarely get away with wasting easy chances.
Apart from that the Tigers were generally good against a very good in form side.
I got pretty annoyed hearing Austin Healey bash OHC on the telly, I’ve seen plenty of speedy wingers pull a hamstring going full length at full pelt, and also I’ve seen plenty of lightweight wingers get sparked out by putting their head in places that they really should not.
Some perspective is needed, we are seeing very harsh red cards because the game has not been played in recent years with a degree of common sense, to then bash a player for using his loaf (or not) seems a bit unfair.
Don’t bash the players confidence further, and don’t bash the coaches, because experience should tell everyone that if you go down that road there is a huge danger of it spiralling out of control and finding yourself fighting to avoid being at the bottom of the table.
The Premiership is quite competitive this year, for me that’s the salary cap in its current form.
Leicester need to remain focused on bringing some more talent through mixed with the quality they already have, as showed when they won the league, and as Saints are showing right now.
Thanks.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't know how much is Tigers DNA or how much that is what the squad Borthwick built was?
Reality is Borthwick had a completely clean broom to sweep the place with and he did that. This squad is basically his and he's not a Tigers man or Tigers DNA he's a sarries man basically.

We lost
Ford
Genge
Moroni
Nadolo

and brought in
Pollard
Cronin
Gopperth
Watson

Which prob sums up a lot of issues, they are not bad players at all. But we lost 4 very clear attacking threats and the replacements are all bar Watson who is a injury problem are more what I call control players.

Now IDK if Borthwick was ever planning on adding more attack to the set up I don't think he was tbh. But it's clear we brought in McKeller because we thought he would fit best with Borthwick style but the trouble is Borthwick style in the first half of last season was found out. Now I feel McKeller has a better understanding of attack the brumbies had some very good attack play . But he needs to realise that Prem rugby has evolved a lot even in the last 2 years.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

BFG wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:45 am That Kata lad was playing well, it was unfortunate.
Exactly this! He gives his all every game, the tackle was, in my opinion, unfortunate, in as much the Northampton player was somewhat below upright, had he remained in an upright position Kata's tackle would have been around the ribs! Split seconds make the world of difference, I know I would never have been quick enough to go lower in that time frame!
tripeandonions
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by tripeandonions »

The "Tigers DNA" thing has always sounded like a creation of the marketing department.
The hiring of Borthwick worked because the playing side of the club had degenerated to such an extent that it needed a period of "going back to basics" and so this and the marketing side were aligned. This was effective and succeeded because there was a fantastic coaching setup.
But I think that, as is becoming apparent with his tenure of England, Borthwick isn't stupid and knows that in the context of the direction the game is going, standing still equals obsolescence and to move with the times he needs coaches with the skills to make that happen, but that it will require time to implement.
I do believe that, had Borthwick and his coaching team stayed at Leicester, they would have gone in that direction.
It's a shame that Wigglesworth did not stay with the club because that would have kept some continuity but it didn't happen and so the club made the "safe" choice, but it may turn out to be the wrong choice. We'll find out at this time next year
Retiredseven
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Retiredseven »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:22 am I see Mckellar has told BBC Radio Leicester that "he is not really worried about the plays offs".

Well I am !
What he actually said was that he was more worried about the standard of performance.

Context is everything
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Y'know all views should be welcome on a discussion forum like our own - without the need for vitriol or smart reply's ...
In a way I am fortunate because of who I know at The Club and grew up with - so whether anything I say is believed or not really matters not to me....
The Club have faith in McKellar as of now , he will be bringing in his own people - we must respect that the season is not over for ourselves and other clubs/parties involved and believe it or not there are still negotiations being carried out behind the scenes with possible signings.
This however is now - what follows as we know from history is still to be written. Things can change - even my friend states this as we are in a results driven situation.

My own thoughts are these...
McKellar must be given time to succeed with his team and his people around him - just as Steve B was.
Personally though I do have misgivings - Borthwick's great strength was his attention to detail - every detail. I have yet to see anything like this during the season.We cannot just write off a World Cup year as a does not matter - tell that to Saints - and for me our prep both at the start of the season and post international breaks has been off.
DMK has undoubtedly been hamstrung by a number of factors this season and I want him to succeed - but he is a long way from home and effectively on his own. His family are here , but working environment and home environment are two different things.
I don't know his character , but it need to be strong, because just as The Club can quickly lose faith in a Head Coach so a Head Coach can quickly lose faith in his employer - especially if he sees his hands tied or feels isolated.
Again , believe or not , should McKellar depart my own friend at Tigers (despite his longevity) is somewhat in trepidation for his own position.
As always ,I hope The Club succeeds and prospers together with Dan McK.....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’ve never really understood the Tiger’s DNA talk, or when you hear about it in the media it’s massively misunderstood.

The best ever Tigers team 01/02 yes had an amazing forward pack, strong set piece etc. But we played an all round 15 man game with the likes of Healey, Howard, Lloyd, Murphy in the backs.

Our second most successful period, 07/13, we scored some amazing tries in backs. I’ve just never understood this rewriting of history that back in the day every try was from a rolling maul 5m out. It’s just not true and stifles us nowadays in trying to go back to a forward oriented gameplan which in reality never was the case.

Saying that the exact same thing is said about the Eng 03 team. Again massively misunderstood team, especially the attacking quality and backs.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:12 am I’ve never really understood the Tiger’s DNA talk, or when you hear about it in the media it’s massively misunderstood.

The best ever Tigers team 01/02 yes had an amazing forward pack, strong set piece etc. But we played an all round 15 man game with the likes of Healey, Howard, Lloyd, Murphy in the backs.

Our second most successful period, 07/13, we scored some amazing tries in backs. I’ve just never understood this rewriting of history that back in the day every try was from a rolling maul 5m out. It’s just not true and stifles us nowadays in trying to go back to a forward oriented gameplan which in reality never was the case.

Saying that the exact same thing is said about the Eng 03 team. Again massively misunderstood team, especially the attacking quality and backs.
Agreed, but watching Neil Back getting dragged over the line - again - was always a joy.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Retiredseven wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:24 am
sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:22 am I see Mckellar has told BBC Radio Leicester that "he is not really worried about the plays offs".

Well I am !
What he actually said was that he was more worried about the standard of performance.

Context is everything
I merely stated what BBC Radio Leicester tweeted Mckellar actually said !

https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... 2762667343

So who is telling porkies? Because I am demonstrably not!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I just hope those that said we gave up yesterday have had word with themselves. That’s an insult to the players.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am on holiday so had to listen on RL and when the Kata incident happened they at first were saying it was an ok tackle and then gradually changed their opinion, haven’t seen it yet but they sounded in the end to agree that it was a red card. It certainly was a changing point in the game.
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:54 am

Well I am !

Context is everything

I mean he is right you deliberately avoided the context on purpose. You couldn't even be bothered to quote the whole sentence.
Focusing on one performances and one game at a time is prob what he should be doing.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:43 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:54 am

Context is everything

I mean he is right you deliberately avoided the context on purpose. You couldn't even be bothered to quote the whole sentence.
Focusing on one performances and one game at a time is prob what he should be doing.
I dont know what your on but your talking rhubarb and need to read what I actually posted! I only quoted precisely what BBC Radio Leicester posted on X if you have a problem with what they actually reported take it up with them not me !