RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saints (A) - Premiership - Saturday 20th April 2024 - KO: 15-05

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:04 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:43 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:54 am

I merely stated what BBC Radio Leicester tweeted Mckellar actually said !

https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... 2762667343

So who is telling porkies? Because I am demonstrably not!
I mean he is right you deliberately avoided the context on purpose. You couldn't even be bothered to quote the whole sentence.
Focusing on one performances and one game at a time is prob what he should be doing.
I dont know what your on but your talking rhubarb and need to read what I actually posted! I only quoted precisely what BBC Radio Leicester posted on X if you have a problem with what they actually reported take it up with them not me !

You quoted literally half the sentence didn't even bother to put an ellipsis at the end.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:20 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:43 pm

I mean he is right you deliberately avoided the context on purpose. You couldn't even be bothered to quote the whole sentence.
Focusing on one performances and one game at a time is prob what he should be doing.
I dont know what your on but your talking rhubarb and need to read what I actually posted! I only quoted precisely what BBC Radio Leicester posted on X if you have a problem with what they actually reported take it up with them not me !

You quoted literally half the sentence didn't even bother to put an ellipsis at the end.
I precisely quoted what BBC Radio Leicester reported on X so do yourself a favour and actually click on the link I posted and you will actually read what they reported in full. As for only quoting half the sentence this is because its the only element I disagree with the rest I do! If you are incapable of understanding these facts then that is your problem not mine.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:39 pm

I precisely quoted what BBC Radio Leicester reported on X so do yourself a favour and actually click on the link I posted and you will actually read what they reported in full. As for only quoting half the sentence this is because its the only element I disagree with the rest I do! If you are incapable of understanding these facts then that is your problem not mine.
My take on this is:

"This game means a lot to everyone at both clubs but we were well beaten today."

True, its a derby - no-brainer. After 40mins the cards etc the wheels came off

"We executed our plan well but ultimately, discipline and execution in the attacking 22 killed us."

True. IMO the execution in the 22 has been a long standing problem

"I'm not really worried about the play-offs,

Well I would be worried for the reasons why the Tigers won't be there.

I just want to worry about our performance.

See above 'execution in the 22'

We've got 3 games to go and we'll just focus on Bristol now."

True. cos that is what is left of the season
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The precise quote was
""I'm not really worried about the play-offs, I just want to worry about our performance."
That's literally the sentence, if you want to quote something directly then at least give context or eclipse it. Cause how is Retired7 telling Porkies??

and in all reality it's the right thing to say because we are out the play-offs what's point of worrying about it. If we get into it it will be down to other results out of our hands, he should def be worried about the performances because it reflects him and the performances suck ATM
SETiger

Post by SETiger »

If Radio Leicester attributed the bare quote "I'm not worried about the play-offs" (I don't know if that's what they did, I don't do Twitter) then they have kind of stitched him up, because, as mentioned, context is everything, and I would imagine the Tigers press office having a word.

If every single word Dan McKellar utters is going to be picked apart minutely then he doesn't stand a chance. I would hope anyone reading the full quote would clearly understand that he means he's not planning beyond the next game, and that thinking about the play-offs is secondary. Steve Borthwick repeated that kind of sentiment ad nauseum. We can rightly bemoan the likely failure to qualify, but the head coach's next job is clearly to get a good performance against Bristol regardless of whether we eventually qualify.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Borthwick-like levels of dead-batting with the media next season, if Dan is capable of that (he may not be).

I'm sure he's "worried" about the play-offs, but as the kids may still say these days - well, duh.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

No matter how you spin it the words ""I'm not worried about the play-offs" as well as other reported quotations came from Mckellar.

His complete sentence ""I'm not really worried about the play-offs, I just want to worry about our performance."

does not magically make the first six words he said disappear, as in my opinion he needs to worry about both !
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:06 pm No matter how you spin it the words ""I'm not worried about the play-offs" as well as other reported quotations came from Mckellar.

His complete sentence ""I'm not really worried about the play-offs, I just want to worry about our performance."

does not magically make the first six words he said disappear, as in my opinion he needs to worry about both !
From this point on in the season I'm not really worried about the playoffs either.

We need to be focusing on fixing the things that are going wrong.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm

My take on this is:

"This game means a lot to everyone at both clubs but we were well beaten today."

"We executed our plan well but ultimately, discipline and execution in the attacking 22 killed us."

I agree with your excellent summary :smt023
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:24 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:06 pm No matter how you spin it the words ""I'm not worried about the play-offs" as well as other reported quotations came from Mckellar.

From this point on in the season I'm not really worried about the playoffs either.

Fair point your are entitled to express your opinion
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

If you focus on the performance and get results, the play offs may be achieved.
Primary focus needs to be on the performances.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:28 am What makes it worse in watching an easy on the eye Saints team, their coach is a Tiger.

The obsession with Tigers DNA is not helpful or true, the Tigers I started watching won games by skill & speed, assisted by a quality back row, our front 5 were anonymous.
Rowntree, Cockerell, Garforth, a chap called Johnson and Van Heerden and later Kay. Anonymous? Hmmmmmm!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:39 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:28 am What makes it worse in watching an easy on the eye Saints team, their coach is a Tiger.

The obsession with Tigers DNA is not helpful or true, the Tigers I started watching won games by skill & speed, assisted by a quality back row, our front 5 were anonymous.
Rowntree, Cockerell, Garforth, a chap called Johnson and Van Heerden and later Kay. Anonymous? Hmmmmmm!
That's later on for me, there was a Tigers team pre Professionalism.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm

My take on this is:

There's an element of reading between the lines here surely. It's similar if he were asked a question like "you're 5 points off the Top 4, you must feel like you can make it" and the answer being "we're focusing on the next game and not where we finish in the table" - I mean, I'm sure he's aware of where we are but as a coach you can't look ahead further than the next game.

I know that the above is out of context, but I'd put good money on him not meaning that he doesn't care about the club reaching the play-offs.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:26 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:24 pm

Fair point your are entitled to express your opinion
I think his point was right that they couldn’t focus on the playoffs they have to focus on the performance and if you get the performance right you win and that takes care of the play offs, and that what id like to see from them 1 consistent performance where they look like they could get to the playoff but they’ve never looked like they could. I think as has been pointed out that to all on mckellar and there’s no point getting rid of him to bring in someone who then has to rebuild again, and who else is out there who could do the job and turn this team around. Mckellar inherited this team from Murphy, Borthwick and wigglesworth and hasn’t bought players in to play his way, he has no attack coach he’d didn’t get his scrum coach until about November, and tiger haven’t built any strength depth in some of the most critical positions and have not move forward since winning the premiership where other teams have and have moved past us.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Don't forget that nobody has any patience these days, it's instant success or "get rid" and start again. I hope McKellar doesn't read this forum - if he does then he's probably on his way to the airport with his family in tow.