Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Champions' Cup Quarter finals 2024

Post by Robespierre »

Saturday 13th:

Bordeaux/Bègles v Harlequins - For B/B, Damian Penaud may not be fit, prop Jefferson Poirot (a splendid name!) is definitely out but fly half Matthieu Jalibert is available for selection.

Leinster v La Rochelle - no selection news yet

Northampton v Bulls - ..

Sunday 14th:

Toulouse v Exeter - Thomas Ramos will be available for Toulouse. Romain Ntamack came through last Sunday's match against Racing unscathed and is also available for selection. The forecast is warm (26C) and sunny, so shirtsleeves and sunglasses for my seat in the stand! Can't wait!
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Champions' Cup Quarter finals 2024

Post by Rugbygramps »

If your Toulouse and Bordeaux both win, where would the semi final be held Robes
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:47 am If your Toulouse and Bordeaux both win, where would the semi final be held Robes
I think that that match would be in Toulouse as Toulouse were seeded 1st after the pool matches.
Semper in excretia
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Apparently there are rumours that Bulls are leaving a lot of their stars at home for the QF.

Shame if true.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:17 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:47 am If your Toulouse and Bordeaux both win, where would the semi final be held Robes
I think that that match would be in Toulouse as Toulouse were seeded 1st after the pool matches.
I think that semifinals are only home country advantage. So home match for Leinster only home country otherwise
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:17 pm
I think I’m right in saying they have played games at the other stadium in Toulouse that isn’t their normal home ground
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Just read this on Midi Olympique:

All the possible scenarios for the semi finals on April 3/4/5:

Toulouse v Bordeaux/Bègles or Harlequins at the Toulouse Football Stadium (capacity 33,150)
Leinster v Northampton or Bulls at Croke Park (82,300)
Northampton v La Rochelle at Stadium MK Milton Keynes (30,500)
Bordeaux/Bègles v Exeter at Matmut Bordeaux (42,100)
Harlequins v Exeter at Ashton Gate Bristol (27,000)
Bulls v La Rochelle tbc somewhere in the UK
Semper in excretia
Flash

Post by Flash »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:38 pm Apparently there are rumours that Bulls are leaving a lot of their stars at home for the QF.

Shame if true.
I saw a story that the team have to travel over on about 8 different flights, all at different time
Not ideal prep.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Flash wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:48 pm
Tiglon wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:38 pm Apparently there are rumours that Bulls are leaving a lot of their stars at home for the QF.

Shame if true.
I saw a story that the team have to travel over on about 8 different flights, all at different time
Not ideal prep.
Yes, Bulls from Pretoria that just confirms the lunacy why Saffer sides are in this European tournament, so if they’re eliminated - too bad!
Semper in excretia
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Does anyone else feel that one of the best sports in the world is run by idiots? I just look at so many competitions and think- what on earth are you doing?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:26 pm
Flash wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:48 pm

Shame if true.
Not ideal prep.
Yes, Bulls from Pretoria that just confirms the lunacy why Saffer sides are in this European tournament, so if they’re eliminated - too bad!
It's because they had to book the flights after their game but until Saints Vs Munster had finished didn't know where to fly to. That and they wanted to fly everybody business class.

If the Bulls are leaving that many internationals at home then they should be fined. Bringing the competition into disrepute.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Tigers86asw wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:51 pm Does anyone else feel that one of the best sports in the world is run by idiots? I just look at so many competitions and think- what on earth are you doing?
See the thread on the World Club Championship for confirmation.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rozza
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rozza »

On the Lenny/Dan podcast Dan sad that if the quarter final had been Stormers v Tigers, Tigers would have to fly Dublin - Birmingham - Bordeaux - Doha -Cape Town. What a nightmare that would have been!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rozza wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:24 pm On the Lenny/Dan podcast Dan sad that if the quarter final had been Stormers v Tigers, Tigers would have to fly Dublin - Birmingham - Bordeaux - Doha -Cape Town. What a nightmare that would have been!
This is where the tournament organisers need to be involved. If they want SA teams in the competition and short turnarounds, they need to take the bull by the horns and have pre-arranged flight options in place to and from SA. They may not be perfect in that it may involve some internal travel first but they cannot expect clubs to be able to move an entire operation to another country so far away at short notice.

The alternative would be to give the SA teams bases in Europe for the Tournament.