Black Lions fixture

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Black Lions fixture

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:55 pm The we will sort it out @ Oval Park & Manu will be fit next week became rather boring in the end.

When he became the genuine top of the coaching tree he couldn't/wouldn’t see past the next game.

The above doesn't or shouldn't cloud his achievements as a player & coach, much like we should all split GM the player from GM the coach (although the academy renaissance was on his watch).
I think that's right. He's a good coach but not a good director of rugby. Paired with the right DOR he'd have been ideal for us.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Cockerill was a top bloke. He once turned up to coach about 150 school children when 3-4 other England players suddenly didn’t turn up. “ No problem,” he said, then told a few of us what he needed setting out equipment wise and for a whole afternoon had the children enthralled by his coaching. Afterwards I asked him if the rumours were true about Keith Barwell offering him “ silly money” to play for Saints!
“Yes, but I d never leave Tigers for Saints no matter what they paid me!” He then returned to my school to take a couple of Assemblies and then came along to a few area tournaments to promote Tag Rugby which was just being introduced!
Like many fans I also remember he was the one player who win or lose when playing away would go round the pitch and thank us for turning up!
Yes, things didn’t go well at the end but Tigers wanted him to do too much and like Murphy he couldn’t say no to the club he loved.
There are fans who still blame him for Thomas The Tank leaving! I was lucky enough to meet Thomas a few days after it was announced he was leaving for Exeter: I thanked him for his time at Tigers and he said,” Thanks, I’m sorry to be leaving but Exeter have offered me far more than Tigers will ever be able to.”
In other words, welcome home Richard. In my eyes one of the best Tigers as a player and with Pat Howard, Deano and Wells and Chalkie White,one of the best coaches. Thanks.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Will always be a club legend for me also.

I tend to feel that it was just his time generally, I feel most coaches have a shelf life at anyone club. Shame it happened how it did. The club played some amazing rugby under his watch it just became harder and harder to keep players
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I don't need to defend Cocker, his record speaks for itself. After O Connor left as backs coach and the following season all our centres were injured for long periods, Paul Burke was sacked as M.OC's replacement having been given no real chance. In my opinion the club should have promoted Anthony Allen to the job but instead Aaron Mauger was brought in thinking he was in charge of coaching and tactics. I think that decision was taken over Cockers head and was a mistake.
I look forward to seeing Richard and his team back at Welford Rd
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Are the Black Lions the Georgia national team, without their French players and a couple who play over here
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:02 am Are the Black Lions the Georgia national team, without their French players and a couple who play over here
In a word 'yes'.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
SASCOkid
Tiger Cub

Post by SASCOkid »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm Cockerill was a top bloke. He once turned up to coach about 150 school children when 3-4 other England players suddenly didn’t turn up. “ No problem,” he said, then told a few of us what he needed setting out equipment wise and for a whole afternoon had the children enthralled by his coaching. Afterwards I asked him if the rumours were true about Keith Barwell offering him “ silly money” to play for Saints!
“Yes, but I d never leave Tigers for Saints no matter what they paid me!” He then returned to my school to take a couple of Assemblies and then came along to a few area tournaments to promote Tag Rugby which was just being introduced!
Like many fans I also remember he was the one player who win or lose when playing away would go round the pitch and thank us for turning up!
Yes, things didn’t go well at the end but Tigers wanted him to do too much and like Murphy he couldn’t say no to the club he loved.
There are fans who still blame him for Thomas The Tank leaving! I was lucky enough to meet Thomas a few days after it was announced he was leaving for Exeter: I thanked him for his time at Tigers and he said,” Thanks, I’m sorry to be leaving but Exeter have offered me far more than Tigers will ever be able to.”
In other words, welcome home Richard. In my eyes one of the best Tigers as a player and with Pat Howard, Deano and Wells and Chalkie White,one of the best coaches. Thanks.
Well said he is one of the Tigers greats. After he was sacked it took us years to get back to anywhere close to the success he achieved. We don't honour our past servants enough. I hope his tenure with Georgia brings more games like this at all levels.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Personally i think Cockers will be well-received and that is a good thing, as has been stated he is a club legend and deserves a great recognition for what he did with the club.

Time is a great healer and it is now 7 years on from when he left the club, i think enough time has passed for people to remember the positives of Cockers' time at the club. In any case, the 3 years from when he left to when Borthwick came in, showed that there were more problems at the club than Cockers, and in any case Cockers was probably holding it all together given how quickly it fell apart once he left.

As for the game itself - really good chance to get some minutes into some young lads and use it as an opportunity to aid their development.

Just as a rough thought to a possible XV - Whitcombe, Clare, Heyes, Wells, Hatherall, Carnduff, Illione, Cracknell, Whiteley, Wilkinson, OHC, Woodward, Scott, Bassett, Shillcock/Brown. Would then like to see the likes of Van der Flierr, Vanes/FTT, Hoyt, Lewis Chessum (if fit), on the bench with more senior boys to keep that balance.

Feel that could be a nice blend of youth and senior players, and gives the Black Lions respect too. Given it is a friendly, it could be tempting to use Kata on the wing to see how he looks there. Nothing lost by doing so.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Or try out Freddie in the centre :smt005
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:39 am Or try out Freddie in the centre :smt005
And George Martin to number 8
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

SASCOkid wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:32 am
Ian Cant wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm Cockerill was a top bloke. He once turned up to coach about 150 school children when 3-4 other England players suddenly didn’t turn up. “ No problem,” he said, then told a few of us what he needed setting out equipment wise and for a whole afternoon had the children enthralled by his coaching. Afterwards I asked him if the rumours were true about Keith Barwell offering him “ silly money” to play for Saints!
Well said he is one of the Tigers greats. After he was sacked it took us years to get back to anywhere close to the success he achieved. We don't honour our past servants enough. I hope his tenure with Georgia brings more games like this at all levels.
I would dispute this with the legends walk way and many past players attending games and being involved with match day experiences.
Interesting that the 2 most successful Head Coaches/DOR, Cockers and Richards are the 2 of the most acrimonious partings
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Neither Bob Dwyer nor Matt O'Connor were exactly reticent in expressing their feelings about Tigers dispensing with their services.
Deano was unfairly sacked after his aging and tired team couldn't regain former form following the England World Cup win, he did sign Ramiro Pez though. There were people in the club that wanted him gone but couldn't t make their move whilst the team was winning.
Cocker's sacking was just unfair.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:31 pm Neither Bob Dwyer nor Matt O'Connor were exactly reticent in expressing their feelings about Tigers dispensing with their services.
Deano was unfairly sacked after his aging and tired team couldn't regain former form following the England World Cup win, he did sign Ramiro Pez though. There were people in the club that wanted him gone but couldn't t make their move whilst the team was winning.
:smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:31 pm Neither Bob Dwyer nor Matt O'Connor were exactly reticent in expressing their feelings about Tigers dispensing with their services.
Very one eyed view John, always 2 sides to every story.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:50 pm
Very one eyed view John, always 2 sides to every story.
The other side is the club's refusal to spend any money on the players RC wanted?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.