Other European games - 05-07th April 2024

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Other European games - 05-07th April 2024

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:20 pm Cannot see anyone stopping Leinster this year.

Still not a fan of being able to use the Aviva as a home and neutral venue. I know why they can do it but I would like to see a rule whereby a ground where you have played any of the previous rounds as the home team could not then be classed as a neutral venue.
Totally agree and a point I’ve made before. Leinster v Toulouse at The London Stadium would be a heck of a game and a very close call
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

It’s funny. I feel the opposite about Leinster. Their lineout creaked at times, their scrum certainly did. Look, Tigers aren’t European contenders (yet). None of us thought so before the game and it came to pass, despite an encouraging performance from us. I think Leinster might struggle against a slightly better defensive side that ar e a tad more clinical than we were. They definitely seemed off it to me (Leinster that is). We will see.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:35 pm It’s funny. I feel the opposite about Leinster. Their lineout creaked at times, their scrum certainly did. Look, Tigers aren’t European contenders (yet). None of us thought so before the game and it came to pass, despite an encouraging performance from us. I think Leinster might struggle against a slightly better defensive side that ar e a tad more clinical than we were. They definitely seemed off it to me (Leinster that is). We will see.
Agreed, I think the remaining French teams are all very capable of beating Leinster. They were underwhelming against us despite the fairly comfortable victory, and the likes of Toulouse, La Rochelle and Bordeaux are a huge step up from Tigers at the moment.

I do think the Leinster/Ireland gameplan has been found out somewhat and most teams know exactly how to beat them. Still not easy to do, but I think they need to vary their style a little to achieve the success that they think they deserve.

No World Cup, no grand slam this year, no Champions Cup for a few years. That's not bad luck, it's proof that they are very beatable by good teams who are able to follow a plan accurately.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Northampton may be rivals of Tigers, but I was delighted with the manner in which they beat Munster and I sincerely hope they'll beat Bulls in the Quarter final, aSouth African side that has no place in the Champions' Cup.
Semper in excretia
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Leinster clearly a good side...but sheer power can negate ability as we have observed with Leinster in the last couple of seasons or so.
French brute force mixed with not inconsiderable skill and game plan to suit will triumph....In my opinion
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Indeed, and they said that about Ireland, that with McCarthy in the row, it was the missing link in terms of increasing their physicality, in order to compete with the Boks and others. Look how that turned out.Same with Leinster. Toulouse, Bordeaux or La Rochelle to win it for me. O'Gara will have something up his sleeve.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:52 pm Leinster clearly a good side...but sheer power can negate ability as we have observed with Leinster in the last couple of seasons or so.
French brute force mixed with not inconsiderable skill and game plan to suit will triumph....In my opinion
Can’t help but feel Leinster have a clear advantage in this game their at home in the aviva le Rochelle fan with only a week to get tickets, travel and hotels sorted, as well as le Rochelle having to travel to Dublin from South Africa, absolutely crazy to the quarters week after the last round with teams having to travel from South Africa. Apparently they bulls have had to split their team across 4 separate flights to get to Northampton.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Stephen18 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:31 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:52 pm Leinster clearly a good side...but sheer power can negate ability as we have observed with Leinster in the last couple of seasons or so.
Can’t help but feel Leinster have a clear advantage in this game their at home in the aviva le Rochelle fan with only a week to get tickets, travel and hotels sorted, as well as le Rochelle having to travel to Dublin from South Africa, absolutely crazy to the quarters week after the last round with teams having to travel from South Africa. Apparently they bulls have had to split their team across 4 separate flights to get to Northampton.
Totally agree with you. This is what happens when you try and schedule in games involving teams from 3 different competitions. It is, as you say, it has a lot to do with the South African teams. Apparently whoever was responsible for booking their flights, I read SARFU, wouldn’t even book provisional flights until it was confirmed who they were playing, hence the 4 flights, so it’s not just the teams travelling to South Africa it affects.
I read that they thought all of this would be a thing of the past when they joined the URC, as they would be able to base themselves up here for 3 or 4 weeks, while playing that number of games.
They didn’t realise that playing in the URC meant also champions cup that has alternate home and away fixtures.
Even if the Bulls were seeded to get a home semi the rules state that semis have to be played in Europe