Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship Clubs Promotion

Post by Hot_Charlie »

GB72 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:17 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:10 am
LE18 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:03 pm My advice to Ealing is:- go ahead and apply for planning permission, this wouldn't be at a massive cost and it would show the RFU they are serious. It may also attract extra fans knowing this and wishing to see Prem rugby.
If the RFU stil lsay no, but the Planning Permission is granted, then the club dont necessarily have to go ahead with the development, but at least thr RFU would have to take their application much more seriously.
They need both the PP and the evidence of available funding to complete the work.

There's obviously a reason they aren't doing it, be it they think it will be unsuccessful at a local planning level or they don't have the concrete medium to long-term funding in place.

There's no apparent external hurdle from either of the villainous RFU or Prem Rugby to stop them doing it.

Again, as I've said before, the evidence suggests they aren't serious under the current ownership, be it through not wanting to commit to the above, or because they are just trying to be disruptors.
Just biding their time, let the media uproar grow about them not being promoted and about the 10 team prem then just wait until rules are relaxed enough to get the promotion irrespective then start taking that TV money without having to make any capital expenditure.
I think they are worried about any capital expenditure and what the post Trailfinders future is. Unlike some other "owned" clubs, there isn't necessarily anything to eventually sell on to a new owner.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

The Ealing bums on seats argument falls down when you take into account their attendance against Tigers wasn’t much bigger.
Also there are a number of championship clubs who average larger crowds. Even Ampthill and Caldy regularly have 100s in for their home games
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

mol2 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:46 am Ealing might not put many bums on seats in their league but that also reflects that they are playing in the Championship. The Championship doesn't fill anyone with excitement and I suspect that if any Premiership sides dropped down their attendances would fall, especially after more than one season.
This is where i have a bit of an issue in that the Championship should be developing a product that can attract a reasonable crowd and aim to have a product worthy of its own TV deal. At the moment it is not and is overly reliant on RFU funding to continue.

Perhaps it needs to take the bull by the horns and work on increasing the public interest and work out how to bring its own product closer to that of the Prem and develop of product that people want to watch. Again, if Ealing had spent a third of that player budget on marketing and increasing their presence and getting people through the doors they may be in a stronger position overall.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:03 pm My advice to Ealing is:- go ahead and apply for planning permission, this wouldn't be at a massive cost and it would show the RFU they are serious. It may also attract extra fans knowing this and wishing to see Prem rugby.
If the RFU stil lsay no, but the Planning Permission is granted, then the club dont necessarily have to go ahead with the development, but at least thr RFU would have to take their application much more seriously.
They need both the PP and the evidence of available funding to complete the work.

There's obviously a reason they aren't doing it, be it they think it will be unsuccessful at a local planning level or they don't have the concrete medium to long-term funding in place.

There's no apparent external hurdle from either of the villainous RFU or Prem Rugby to stop them doing it.

Again, as I've said before, the evidence suggests they aren't serious under the current ownership, be it through not wanting to commit to the above, or because they are just trying to be disruptors.
One step at a time, get PP then work on money guarantee, like I said you dont necessary have to go ahead, a bird in the hand!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:42 pm

One step at a time, get PP then work on money guarantee, like I said you dont necessary have to go ahead, a bird in the hand!
They've had years. Their owner is now in their late 80s and appears as rich as he ever was. They need both the PP and the evidence of finance to fulfil the stadium criteria; if they got promoted they would be expected to go ahead.