TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Preseason fixtures confirmed - 2024/2025

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/hi ... -gp13-2324

Nottingham home 31st Aug
Scarlets home 7th Sept
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Preseason fixtures confirmed - 2024/2025

Post by sk 88 »

Interesting if they are the only two, or if there will be a couple more after.

If season starts on September 28th the England players will miss the first game of the season, and the two "training weeks" mid season. If the season starts on September 14th they'll miss the first 3, and it will depend on the date of the Prem final whether they're will be games on the training weeks.

If there are then we'd be missing players for 5 of 18 league matches, which is almost as bad as the 7 from 22 which used to be the standard in a 12 team league!
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

From this I think we can review how much impact the Rugby Championship will have on the likes of Montoya, Pollard and Perese...

Last week of the Rugby Championship is 28th September.

So if the league starts immediately after the friendlies they will miss a minimum of 3 league games...

However IF they split the PRC groups into two and have some of those then rather than just over the Autumn international window it may be that they are missing a couple less rounds.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Preseason fixtures confirmed

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sk 88 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:21 am Interesting if they are the only two, or if there will be a couple more after.

If season starts on September 28th the England players will miss the first game of the season, and the two "training weeks" mid season. If the season starts on September 14th they'll miss the first 3, and it will depend on the date of the Prem final whether they're will be games on the training weeks.

If there are then we'd be missing players for 5 of 18 league matches, which is almost as bad as the 7 from 22 which used to be the standard in a 12 team league!
I suspect the PRC groups may be split this season to cover that, so there's only 3 of the group games in the AI period....

Or we just have announced the home friendlies and have some away ones to come
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

You mention Perese I thought I read that his contract with Rugby Australia was ending, if this is the case will he still be selected ?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:29 am You mention Perese I thought I read that his contract with Rugby Australia was ending, if this is the case will he still be selected ?
Not sure how the Australian eligibility/contracts work, it may be he's eligible until he joins us or it may be he's ineligible from the 1st July
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Hopefully the gap between pre season friendly matches and the start of the Premiership will be bridged by Premier Cup.games. We may also find that England players can return a little earlier as long as they have an early rest week. The rules were relaxed last season to enable Ellis Genge to make his debut in the first match for Bristol and Umbro.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I wonder if they'll try and expand the cup, to pad the season out a bit more?
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Just realised its a Lions tour next summer so my assumptions were a bit off. The Lions first match is 20th June, so the Premiership final will be 14th June at earliest.

That means season starting 21st September latest.

So I'm anticipating:
Sept 21th to 26th October: Premiership Rounds 1 to 6.
October 26th England training week.
Nov 2nd to Nov 23rd England interantionals. Prem cup group stage to be played in three of these weekends.
Nov 30th Premiership Round 7.
Dec 7 & 14 European Round 1 & 2
Dec 21, 28, Jan 4 Premiership round 8,9,10.
Jan 11 & 18 European Round 3 & 4.
Jan 25 Prem Round 11. Also Jan 25 England Training Week.
Feb 1st through to 15th March 6N. Prem Cup final 2 group stage & semi & final to be in this period, Prem Cup semi to be March 1st, Final March 15th weekend.
22 & 29 March Prem round 12 & 13
5 & 12 April: European R16 & QF
19/26 April: Prem rounds 14 & 15
3 May: European Semi
10/17 May: Prem rounds 16 & 17
24th May: European Final
31 May 18 Prem
7 June Prem Semi
14 June Prem Final

That means England guys will be missing likely 4 matches plus more.

It is basically impossible to co-exist with international rugby, why taking them on with the long game in mind is the only viable option.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

I think that you missed this:

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/conte ... -australia

Which includes this:

"A strong partnership and a common goal between The British & Irish Lions, Premiership Rugby and the United Rugby Championship has resulted in the Lions having a two-week preparation period before the Tour commences, giving the Lions the best chance of regaining the Series on Australian soil, a country where they enjoyed their last tour win in 2013. Further detail around pre-tour activities, including a pre-tour warm up fixture, will be announced at a later stage."
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

So basically the England internationals are missing more games than this season, and we've deliberately clashed our season with the Rugby Championship more than needed to, just to satisfy a bunch of hooray tourists going on a jolly to a team ranked below Italy.

The international beast cannot be satisfied. Linked to the rumours thread we need quite a lot more squad cover then!

Edit: Thanks for the link though, I had clearly missed it!
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Realistically how many Tigers are going to be Lions. If he stays fit JVP would be a probable as would George Martin, presently Chessum and Steward are only possibles
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It will be interesting to see how many potential Lions playing their rugby in France are actually released for the tour by their clubs.and how many that do travel will have a job to go back to.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:38 am It will be interesting to see how many potential Lions playing their rugby in France are actually released for the tour by their clubs.and how many that do travel will have a job to go back to.
Not that many spring to mind. Willis, Kinghorn, will Farrell gamble on taking his son, not sure he will.