Saracens - Harlequins TMO

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

shanghaitiger
Tiger Cub

Saracens - Harlequins TMO

Post by shanghaitiger »

Wild story coming out of the Saracens - Harlequins game.
https://twitter.com/bencoles_/status/17 ... 5509513700
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Saracens - Harlequins TMO

Post by Tigers86asw »

This is the referee version of bloodgate- we know it’s been going on for ages, it’s undermining the game and now they’ve been caught. Not surprised at all- is anyone else?

News flash- the TMO is being influenced by tv commentators!

Question then arises- what about international matches? Europe? Other leagues- hornets nest has been kicked.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/ego-go ... ly-ignored

A bit more on planet rugby. I think the TMO having access to the commentary is pretty crazy. No need for it
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/177 ... RIY3A&s=19

Worth pointing out that the TMO has in the past confirmed they can hear the commentary...

Though never said they can't refer something because of "bad optics" eesh. This will roll on!!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I remember there were many on here too who said the TMO couldn’t hear Austin when quite clearly others were pointing out that he was at fault for decisions being reviewed against us that were missed,it’s scandalous! There should be absolutely NO commentary feed at all!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:22 am I remember there were many on here too who said the TMO couldn’t hear Austin when quite clearly others were pointing out that he was at fault for decisions being reviewed against us that were missed,it’s scandalous! There should be absolutely NO commentary feed at all!
There shouldn't...

However this is WAY worse... given the fact they can hear the commentary, refusing to even look at possible foul play because it "looks" bad is horrendous. If the TMO is aware of foul play (however awkwardly they found out) the fact they refused to look at it because it may look bad on them is horrific!!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:28 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:22 am I remember there were many on here too who said the TMO couldn’t hear Austin when quite clearly others were pointing out that he was at fault for decisions being reviewed against us that were missed,it’s scandalous! There should be absolutely NO commentary feed at all!
There shouldn't...

However this is WAY worse... given the fact they can hear the commentary, refusing to even look at possible foul play because it "looks" bad is horrendous. If the TMO is aware of foul play (however awkwardly they found out) the fact they refused to look at it because it may look bad on them is horrific!!
It’s bad however way you look at it and shouldn’t have been allowed to happen,the simple way is to just cut the feed. If incidents are missed then we have to hope that the citing commission pick them up after,but we cannot have a situation where
commentary is affecting the game,either way!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I actually feel sorry for the TMO. He goes ahead and reviews it and everyone comes out of the woodwork along the lines of “but what about when X was in the studio and pointed out Y but Z never looked at it”. This is of its own doing I’m afraid and should NEVER have been allowed to happen. Hopefully now this spurs the powers that before to rectify it,and quick! For me the TMO made the right decision,he cannot be influenced by outside interference. The foul play has been highlighted and if deserving of a red and ban I’m sure it will be punished accordingly. I believe some good will now come out of this
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Probably the best thing that could have happened really. Now it can get sorted out.

Loving Healy's ego comment!!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We have always been told that the TMO is unable to hear match commentary, if that is not the case why have we been lied to? If course we always knew that TMO's would see repeated viewings of an incident and maybe influenced by that but for them to ignore an incident on the grounds that the commentator saw it first is pretty bad. I am beginning to think we should just get rid of the TMO anyway, on Friday night early in the match there was a clear Gloucester knock on, a Gloucester player in front of the knock.played the ball, offside and kicks, should be a penalty to Tigers but no a 40 yard gain for Gloucester, TMO informs the ref who says too late carry on. What relevance is the man in the van if his observations are dismissed by the ref, or discounted because the commentator has also seen it.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The TMO is in the truck with the Director but does not have direct commentary feed into his headphones. The commentary is on in the background in the van so is picked up indirectly.
All commentary feeds are cut when there is a review taking place so that it does not influence the decision.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:21 am The TMO is in the truck with the Director but does not have direct commentary feed into his headphones. The commentary is on in the background in the van so is picked up indirectly.
All commentary feeds are cut when there is a review taking place so that it does not influence the decision.
So he can hear other commentary in the back ground even with his headphones on or are you saying that someone else pointed it out to him? Either way not buying it
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I thought it was common knowledge that the TMO could hear the commentary? I wasn't surprised by this at all. The only thing that is a surprise is that we heard the comment about not going back to a previous incident because of something Austin said. I thought TMOs had always had access to commentary to assist with decisions?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:27 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:21 am The TMO is in the truck with the Director but does not have direct commentary feed into his headphones. The commentary is on in the background in the van so is picked up indirectly.
So he can hear other commentary in the back ground even with his headphones on or are you saying that someone else pointed it out to him? Either way not buying it
Some headphones are single earcup with a microphone, certainly the Timekeepers ones are.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
shanghaitiger
Tiger Cub

Post by shanghaitiger »

I think I knew that the TMOs could hear the commentary. To me it is awful that he is refusing to review something because Austin Healey picked-up on it. It brings Stuart Terheege's integrity in to question, and by association the refereeing of the sport.