Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Post by westwinds31 »

Great to see JVP back on form, but Wiese was player of the match in my eyes. Superb in the carry, some massive hits and great work in the tight. We’re really going to miss him next season.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

I give Kudos to the defensive effort at the end, YCs or not, we tried at least to stick with it - and finally got something.

I despair, more than slightly, that we let ourselves get into that position though.

Wins a win. If there was (or still is) a sickness bug going around camp, it may still be lingering a bit (seeking some solace here) and that last stand was gargantuan.

Will have taken a lot out of players though and we don't need that before Leinster - a match I was not expecting much from in the first place (please, please surprise me and make me eat my words).
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:02 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 pm

Why?! :smt005
Long story mate - mainly wife driven 😂
My Wife is Irish too,Waterford/Dublin parents
Wife is of Jamaican origin - wants to get into rugby (as I love it) and watched Kin and wants to go to the Aviva…… and I stupidly disclosed we were playing Leinster there and the rest is history to my wallet!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Well, we withstood the siege of Mafeking (pt2) but we shouldn't have been in that position. Far too many errors and poor decisions. When it clicked - for Hassell-Collins' try for example - we looked really good but there are far too few moments like that.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Harley1850
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Harley1850 »

Yep just give Leinster a bye and save the players
I think you enjoy the game more if you don't know the rules. Anyway, you're on the same wavelength as the referees.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 pm I feel we need to start a back 3 of
11. OHC
14. Steward
15. Shillcock
Now
Couldn’t agree more. Give Shilly the chances to come into the line take some of the pressure off polly and actually play with the ball in hand.

Feel like next week is almost a free hit - I hope the lads get given the license to play and try some attack out. If we actually have any ideas
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 pm I feel we need to start a back 3 of
11. OHC
14. Steward
15. Shillcock
Now
Depending on what the issue is with Bassett I suspect we may see that next week...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Saints are going to marmalise us I am so frustrated over how poor we play. Newcastle like Gloucester are in a different attacking stratosphere and Smith great servant that he is clearly is not an attack coach. We were badly struggling at scrum time against nobody's and that is a massive concern. Whiteley is unfit to be a Tigers XV
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

What a load of absolute carp, two moments of inspiration - JVP in the first half, and Shilcock/OHC in the second, apart from that, utter rubbish. :smt019
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 pm Saints are going to marmalise us I am so frustrated over how poor we play. Newcastle like Gloucester are in a different attacking stratosphere and Smith great servant that he is clearly is not an attack coach. We were badly struggling at scrum time against nobody's and that is a massive concern. Whiteley is unfit to be a Tigers XV
what are you on Newcastle couldn't score against 12 men lol .

I agree with Smith though.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

sapajo wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 pm Saints are going to marmalise us I am so frustrated over how poor we play. Newcastle like Gloucester are in a different attacking stratosphere and Smith great servant that he is clearly is not an attack coach. We were badly struggling at scrum time against nobody's and that is a massive concern. Whiteley is unfit to be a Tigers XV
Have you ever enjoyed rugby?
Baz

Post by Baz »

"Tigers hold on for historic win"? Is that because of the 100 minutes, the 23 penalties, the 3 yellow cards, or the 5 lost lineouts? There is something wrong with our coaching.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Notable that we moved Carnduff to the flank for the last few scrums (the ones there wasn't a penalty from)

I wasn't sure but think we left Liebenberg on the other flank so Jasper was in at lock doing the big shoves that stopped the penalties
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Well that was quite something! Another strange old game.. once again we seem to enjoy making life hard for ourselves. About a minute to go.. personally I would have liked to see us try for the TBP but worst case I'd say keep the ball, recycle it and kick it out but like last week we decided to gift them back possession.. cue 20 minutes of comedy that I really really can't wait to hear Mr Diamond's view on :smt002 :smt005

I like Dickson, I think he has improved massively and has been pretty decent in his last few Tigers matches but tonight was dire. Swayed by the home crowd, ignored his touch judges and the TMO didn't seem to arrive at the game until the final 10 minutes! I reckon there was a Newcastle elbow, shoulder to head, boot to face, 2 high tackles on Wiese and a swinging arm on Shilcock that weren't even mentioned let alone looked at. Newcastle shoved early time after time and got away with sooo much.. we had some luck too so it wasn't all one sided bad officiating but wow that was pretty dire tonight from the officials.

We certainly need to improve. In most departments. Last 3 weeks hasn't been good enough. A decent team wins all 3 matches but somehow we have made very hard work of all 3 and were it not for the grace of God we would have handed Newcastle their first win in 18 matches! What was brilliant from Mr Dickson was how he managed to drag that final passage of play on long enough for our sin bins to expire and us to be back up to 14! Genius.. I bet old Steve Diamond was fuming about how his 'little old Newcastle' had lost an arm wrestle at the death in such a manner.. to be honest.. I am kind of glad we didn't simply kick the ball out at 80 because after all the drivel chatted by the Newcastle DOR prior to the game this is a little pay back :smt003

I though Scott had a decent run out, Carnduff put in a shift at the end and Wiese was solid as always.. to be honest.. with that much momentum behind them the entire team did well to hold out there at the end.. yes any decent side would have put 40 or 50 points on Newcastle tonight but take the positives.. we showed some attack intent, rolling maul was decent once again, Scott, Wiese and Carnduff had good games for me, Kata looks lively again, JvP had a good game and some valuable minutes back after injury and we won! Mr Diamond will be left trawling through the book of excuses to try and find a new one as to how they lost again..

Onwards and upwards and here's hoping we see the mountain that we have to climb ahead of next season and get this all sorted...
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:19 pm Notable that we moved Carnduff to the flank for the last few scrums (the ones there wasn't a penalty from)

I wasn't sure but think we left Liebenberg on the other flank so Jasper was in at lock doing the big shoves that stopped the penalties
Yeah, Jasper was in the row. Good adjustment on pitch from the boys.