Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigersunited

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Post by Tigersunited »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm Seriously worried. How on earth do we manage to have half the pack out injured!
Could be a long night and will Kata and Pollard play??
Even with some of the pack missing this team is more than good enough to take 5 points, and, has to.
Let’s see what yer made of, Dan.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm Aside from Watson is that about our strongest back line?

Pack should be a match for theirs too and with 9 internationals on the field we should have more than enough to win comfortably.

Unfortunately the way we are playing suggests it’ll be he who makes the least mistakes that will win, just hoping that is us after two poor performances.

Weather looks okay but no doubt we’ll be looking to minimise risk after those two glocs performances and the neutrals will find it a tough watch!
Need to forget Watson for at least this season. Bassett was fine last week
Agreed but if he was fit then he’s a starter for me.

TBH - accepting the game plan wasn’t great for a winger to shine, I just don’t see either OHC or Bassett being a player the opposition fear.

Neither has much X factor with OHC in particular not showing that extra pace he’s had historically and neither carries into or offloads out the contact to any great degree.

IMO - accepting a limited game plan isn’t helping - I’m not convinced either are that threatening ball in hand.
OHC has shown enough quality ball in hand when given the opportunity, Quins and Gloucester away in the league are 2 examples. Bassett is a hard running winger who chases and defends well.
IMO the problem is the lack of a consistent midfield selection, as well as different fullbacks, not the wings.

IMO we will win with a bonus point. There is more than enough firepower to beat Falcons. We have more options of power runners up front and with JVP sniping round the fringes he will bring Hatherall, Cracknell and Wiese into the game more
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

As a team is has far more attacking threats than last weekend
Just if we use them or not

Hatherell looked fantastic carrying against quins, a lot because Wiese helped share the load and gave him a chance to have one on ones.
Wes

Post by Wes »

It was reported in the times this morning that Ollie Chessum was in the top 3 most minutes played this season (along with itoje, Slade and Freeman in 4th) so he has to be rested. In reality, he looked knackered last weekend and shouldn't have played 6 days after an international.
I only live there to wind up the population!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

if Borthwick keeps injuring Martin we should threaten the RFU for the medical costs and his wages whilst unavailable its getting beyond a joke now they keep sending him back broken
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wes wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm It was reported in the times this morning that Ollie Chessum was in the top 3 most minutes played this season (along with itoje, Slade and Freeman in 4th) so he has to be rested. In reality, he looked knackered last weekend and shouldn't have played 6 days after an international.
With a bug in camp we may have had very little choice but to play him last week. Our internationals were less likely to be affected then...

Also in Chessum's case he had an extended layoff before this season due to injury so although he's clocked up the minutes this season, end of last one he had more time off than most.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm As a team is has far more attacking threats than last weekend
Just if we use them or not

Hatherell looked fantastic carrying against quins, a lot because Wiese helped share the load and gave him a chance to have one on ones.
I know Hatherall hasn’t got the size of some of the gigantic French locks but I do wonder if he can do a similar job as a mauling secondary carrier type player, I certainly don’t see him as weakness when he plays.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm
Old Hob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm Carnduff has played lock for u20s but will primarily be a 6. I would imagine we’re triennial to bare bones fit the back 5 but that selection gives more carrying and line out options
Sorry. Perhaps a translation?
So sorry about down to bare bones of fit players for the back 5
I think we must be, given that Tom Manz has just been registered for the Champions Cup knockout games:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/bath-add ... riff-john/
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm if Borthwick keeps injuring Martin we should threaten the RFU for the medical costs and his wages whilst unavailable its getting beyond a joke now they keep sending him back broken
Posts like this are the joke. You don’t appear to be living in the real world
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No6_Flanker wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm
Old Hob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

Sorry. Perhaps a translation?
So sorry about down to bare bones of fit players for the back 5
I think we must be, given that Tom Manz has just been registered for the Champions Cup knockout games:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/bath-add ... riff-john/
Hoyt as well. It may be that Manz is just replacing Carter no point in not having the max squad size
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm if Borthwick keeps injuring Martin we should threaten the RFU for the medical costs and his wages whilst unavailable its getting beyond a joke now they keep sending him back broken
tell me who pays him the most money us or the RFU? he is contracted to Leicester Tigers yet dues to England playing him when he is clearly carrying an injury he will likely play more England games than Tigers games, this is unacceptable his treatment isn't cheap, England aren't paying those costs, the clubs have a deal with the RFU to release players, this clearly needs to be renegotiated.

Clubs should be able to block players being released if they are constantly being misused in this way, unless the RFU want to stump up the money to cover the costs, its a salary capped sport which makes little to no money save for the RFU and England, so why should clubs both lose the player and pay for the privileged when they don't get injured playing for the club?

Oh and I am living in the real world, the FA pay when a footballer gets injured, might not be the full amount due to the sheer amount of cash but they do pay a lot, its why if a player is a doubt with injury they return straight to the club, as seen in the last week or so
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ok when did he play for England obviously carrying an injury given that he didn’t come off against Ireland.
Costs of rehab etc will be covered by English insurers standard practice.

Who says he’s being misused. You seem have this huge block about players playing for England, you feel that they shouldn’t have the honour of representing their country and playing out of their skins.
I bet you’re against central contracts too, want to have your cake and eat it.

Your original quote was for a member club to threaten the sport’s governing body that’s the biggest joke of the lot
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm
tell me who pays him the most money us or the RFU? he is contracted to Leicester Tigers yet dues to England playing him when he is clearly carrying an injury he will likely play more England games than Tigers games, this is unacceptable his treatment isn't cheap, England aren't paying those costs, the clubs have a deal with the RFU to release players, this clearly needs to be renegotiated.

Clubs should be able to block players being released if they are constantly being misused in this way, unless the RFU want to stump up the money to cover the costs, its a salary capped sport which makes little to no money save for the RFU and England, so why should clubs both lose the player and pay for the privileged when they don't get injured playing for the club?

Oh and I am living in the real world, the FA pay when a footballer gets injured, might not be the full amount due to the sheer amount of cash but they do pay a lot, its why if a player is a doubt with injury they return straight to the club, as seen in the last week or so
Sadly that is the balance of power. Who would sign for a club that blocked them playing for England.

With regards football, the balance of power is with the clubs, we are more akin to county cricket and the balance of power is with the RFU. The players will not rock the boat when many probably earn more form England than they do with their clubs. To footballers, the fee is irrelevant, in fact all England footballers sign to donate international match fees to charity, to rugby players that money is vital.

I did ask that question on a thread whether players saw themselves as Tigers players who happened to play for England or England players that happen to play for Tigers and I suspect with the current generation we are starting to see a turn to the later.

That said, the league has itself to blame as well. Those internationals really should have done on a 2-3 week break after the 6 Nations but we have been sold a 10 team league with more player availability and so they play.

In all honesty, I agree, everything in rugby needs looking at from release deals to the season dates to league structures to payer payments to cup competitions. Everything needs assessing but the one certainty is the RFU will not give up fixtures, they will not limit the number of selections and the players (who are equally to blame) will lap it up because they get their club salary, a massive England payment on top and guaranteed rest periods not afforded to non internationals.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Sadly Martin, like Earle are the two England players Borthwick dreads having out.
Martin was limping a lot after 60 minutes v Ireland, was a doubt v France and played on after taking a couple of heavy knocks but had loads of strapping.
It’s a shame for us that in a shortened season we will be missing 5 of our first choice pack!
I just hope the A1 road works let us get up to support the Tigers.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm Sadly Martin, like Earle are the two England players Borthwick dreads having out.
Martin was limping a lot after 60 minutes v Ireland, was a doubt v France and played on after taking a couple of heavy knocks but had loads of strapping.
It’s a shame for us that in a shortened season we will be missing 5 of our first choice pack!
I just hope the A1 road works let us get up to support the Tigers.
Car washed Ian, tyres pumped for extra passengers....hope Tigers are too
As Good As It Gets