Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Post by Rugbygramps »

wardy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:05 am Ah, OK many thanks for that Rg. Let's hope you're right.
I’m going on what has been put on Instagram this morning and what was said during the commentaries at the weekend. I believe they said TNT 5 which depends on who your provider is. Through Virgin I think it’s a separate channel, some you may need to go through the red button
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Probably Discovery+ - haven't tried that channel yet so can't comment on its performance.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:36 pm https://www.rugbypass.com/news/diamond- ... -activity/

I see Mr Diamond is trying to suggest things to the referee already... If you can't coach a team to defend the rolling maul, why not just get the ref to ping them on it...

At least we know what's worrying him atm...
If this were to come about with him saying that driving mauls would still be allowed anywhere else on the pitch then there would need to be a return to side going forward gets the put in at the scrum if the maul is stopped legally.

Looking at driving mauls too often we see tries scored by a player not at the back of the maul. I thought the ball had to be transferred to the rearmost player and if there is a breakaway and a new maul forms the ball often is in the hands of a player not at the back of the new maul.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 am
wardy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:05 am Ah, OK many thanks for that Rg. Let's hope you're right.
I’m going on what has been put on Instagram this morning and what was said during the commentaries at the weekend. I believe they said TNT 5 which depends on who your provider is. Through Virgin I think it’s a separate channel, some you may need to go through the red button
This is spot on.. It is on TNT Sports 5 which is a red button channel :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Its interesting that the only aspect of our game that Diamond is concerned about is the drving maul and to be honest its our most effective weapon due to our poor attack. I can remember seasons past when the likes of Saints and Chiefs were like us now relying on the driving maul for the main source of their points. Fast forward, the game has moved on as have Saints and Chiefs game and so their respective attacks are now their main source of points whereas we remain stuck in a driving maul time warp which we still continue to cling onto for many seasons whilst our competitors move on and leave us behind in their wakes.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

is that what they mean when they say its in tigers dna??
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

eastyorkstiger wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:42 pm is that what they mean when they say its in tigers dna??
"Do Not Attack"

or "Defence not Attack"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

eastyorkstiger wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:42 pm is that what they mean when they say its in tigers dna??
Exactly, and perhaps Mckellar has been told that it is non negotiable and must remain our main attacking weapon by his Employer :smt022
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Pellsey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:50 pm
"Do Not Attack"

or "Defence not Attack"
More like no attack its not in the Tigers DNA :smt009
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Funny because the DNA of Tigers when I started watching them was based around getting the ball our to our 2 exceedingly rapid wingers, against any semi competitive opposition the result often depended on whether a certain D.Richards was available, those days also involved a FH who never tackled anyone.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Figure image
Leicester Tigers have named their team for Friday night’s Gallagher Premiership round 14 fixture against Newcastle Falcons at 7:45pm at Kingston Park in Newcastle.

Jack van Poortvliet will partner Handré Pollard in the halves for the first time this season, with Will Hurd coming into the starting front row in-place of the injured Joe Heyes.

England international locks Ollie Chessum and George Martin also miss out through injury while veteran prop Dan Cole is on mandatory leave after his extensive Guinness Six Nations campaign.

Tigers are also without Welsh international backrow Tommy Reffell.

Elsewhere Leicester academy graduate James Whitcombe will make his 50th appearance for the club if required off the bench.

There’s also a place for England U20 captain Finn Carnduff in the finishers.

Leicester Tigers head coach, Dan McKellar said: “Off the back of any disappointing loss the only option you have is to fly into the next challenge with energy and enthusiasm and the boys have done that. “

“While it’s disappointing to lose Heyesy to injury, it’s great to see Will Hurd back in the side and Jack (van Poortvliet) starting.

“We’ve trained really well with the right intent and we’re going up to Newcastle to put in a performance that the group and our supporters can be proud of.”

STARTING XV

15 Freddie Steward [82]
14 Josh Bassett [14]
13 Matt Scott [76]
12 Solomone Kata [14]
11 Ollie Hassell-Collins [16]
10 Handré Pollard [28]
9 Jack van Poortvliet [67]

1 James Cronin [29]
2 Julián Montoya [54]
3 Will Hurd [37]
4 Harry Wells [193]
5 Kyle Hatherell [17]
6 Hanro Liebenberg [102]
7 Olly Cracknell [110]
8 Jasper Wiese [73]

REPLACEMENTS

16 Charlie Clare [89]
17 James Whitcombe [49]
18 Dan Richardson [17]
19 Finn Carnduff [9]
20 Emeka Ilione [20]
21 Tom Whiteley [25]
22 Jamie Shillcock [22]
23 Phil Cokanasiga [14]
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Still no George Martin
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Interesting selection of Carnduff do tiger see him long term as a 2nd row. Really hope to see both him and Ilione get good minutes in this game.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The 29-year-old Northumbrian starts at outside centre in Steve Diamond’s first home game in charge, with the consultant director of rugby making six changes to the side which travelled to Exeter Chiefs last weekend.

Guy Pepper and Freddie Lockwood are both ruled out with head knocks picked up during the Devon clash, with Ben Stevenson sidelined after injuring his knee during a game which saw him scoring a try in the opening minute.

Phil Brantingham and Richard Palframan slot in at props for Friday’s 7.45pm kick-off, with Philip van der Walt sliding back to the blind-side flank in a move which sees Tim Cardall come in at lock.

Ben Redshaw starts on the left wing after scoring a length-of-the-field try for England Under-20s a fortnight ago in France – the Leeds native recovering from a head knock he sustained during the Six Nations title decider.

Cameron Hutchison starts at inside centre following an impressive cameo from the bench at Exeter last weekend, while Sam Cross comes in to start on the open-side flank.

England Under-20s backs Oliver Spencer and Ben Douglas are both included on the bench, with Newcastle out for a repeat of the 45-26 victory they enjoyed the last time Leicester Tigers visited Kingston Park.

Relishing the prospect of his first home game at the helm, Diamond said: “I’ve come here plenty of times as a coach down the years, and it’s an absolute shocker playing a Friday night away game at Kingston Park.

“All I will say is we’ve got a really committed bunch of lads playing for us, a lot of them from the North East, and I’d urge the public in the area to come along and watch a proper spectacle of collision sport.

“One of those local lads is Tom Penny who plays his 100th game for the Falcons on Friday, and it’s a great honour for him.

“No matter what anyone says I think it always means that little bit extra to lads who are from the locality, and I’m very pleased for Tom. He was outstanding for us last weekend down at Exeter, he puts his body on the line every time he plays and he’s someone who has given a lot of blood for this club.”

Expecting a stern test against the Tigers, the Falcons boss added: “Leicester are one of the super clubs, and losing at home like they did last weekend is hard for them to take. You’d expect a reaction coming up to little old Newcastle, and we’ll have to be at our best to stay close to them.

“They’ll turn to their mauling game, and it must be a new Australian technique or something with their head coach Dan McKellar because they’ve got blockers in all over those driving mauls, so they’re quite illegal. I’m hoping the refereeing department are having a look at them this week, but we’ve got to learn to defend it because they scored three against Gloucester last Friday.

“They’ll also kick the leather off the ball through Handre Pollard, they’ll have a massive back row chasing it and we know we’ve got a really tough game on our hands.”

Diamond’s charges were within a whisker of a bonus point in last weekend’s trip to Exeter, with the consultant director of rugby pleased by a lot of what he saw.

“I’m more disappointed about the two yellow cards and 17 penalties than anything else, because all we’d talked about during the week was being disciplined,” he said.

“We’d won away at Sale in a friendly in our previous game, and a big part of that was down to our low penalty count. At Exeter we conceded far too many penalties, and some real soft ones as well, but outside of that I thought we were really competitive and showed lots of positive signs.

“The skill level was good and I thought lads like Ben Stevenson did enough to show why they should be starting on a regular basis. Unfortunately he got injured during the game and will be out for a little while, but I’m learning about the players and about how I can move the thing forward.

“I wasn’t too distressed after the Exeter match because I don’t think we’re far away, and if we keep working the way we are then results will come. The players are working really hard and I can’t fault them on that score, but the next step is getting the momentum that comes with winning one of these tight games.

“The lads are doing a lot of the things that me and the coaches are asking of them, and that last couple of per cent that we need is down to some of the intangible things like belief and having the confidence to close out a result. I’m sure we can nail it, and I’m really positive about things.”

Supporters are also advised of engineering works on the Tyne & Wear Metro. which may mean adjusting your travel plans.

Newcastle Falcons team v Leicester Tigers (Friday, 7.45pm, Kingston Park, live on TNT Sports red button and Discovery+)

15 Elliott Obatoyinbo, 14 Adam Radwan, 13 Tom Penny, 12 Cameron Hutchison, 11 Ben Redshaw, 10 Brett Connon, 9 Sam Stuart; 1 Phil Brantingham, 2 Jamie Blamire, 3 Richard Palframan, 4 Tim Cardall, 5 Sebastian de Chaves, 6 Philip van der Walt, 7 Sam Cross, 8 Callum Chick (captain).

Replacements: 16 Bryan Byrne, 17 Murray McCallum, 18 Eduardo Bello, 19 John Hawkins, 20 John Kelly, 21 Ben Douglas, 22 Rory Jennings, 23 Oliver Spencer.

Not available for selection: James Elliott, Freddie Lockwood, Kiran McDonald, Hugh O’Sullivan, Guy Pepper, Pedro Rubiolo, Ben Stevenson, Michael van Vuuren.

Leicester Tigers: 15 Freddie Steward, 14 Josh Bassett, 13 Matt Scott, 12 Solomone Kata, 11 Ollie Hassell-Collins, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Jack van Poortvliet; 1 James Cronin, 2 Julián Montoya (captain), 3 Will Hurd, 4 Harry Wells, 5 Kyle Hatherell, 6 Hanro Liebenberg, 7 Olly Cracknell, 8 Jasper Wiese.

Replacements: 16 Charlie Clare, 17 James Whitcombe, 18 Dan Richardson, 19 Finn Carnduff, 20 Emeka Ilione, 21 Tom Whiteley, 22 Jamie Shillcock, 23 Phil Cokanasiga.

Referee: Karl Dickson.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Carnduff has played lock for u20s but will primarily be a 6. I would imagine we’re triennial to bare bones fit the back 5 but that selection gives more carrying and line out options