RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19:45

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 am
voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:18 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:56 pm
That should be enough to see off Falcons. Pace outside, experience in each area, carrying threats, breakdown threats.
The team we had out on Friday night should have been enough to see off Gloucester but it didn't. :smt003
Once Pollard dropped out last minute I had concerns. Glaws are a better team then they've been given credit for. Skivington was invited to coach the England A team for a reason.
He got it because we have hardly any english head coaches and the ones we do have (Baxter, Vesty, Sanderson) all have a league that they are still trying to win and therefore won't want to take time away from their club for a game v a Tier 2 A team.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:28 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 am

The team we had out on Friday night should have been enough to see off Gloucester but it didn't. :smt003
Once Pollard dropped out last minute I had concerns. Glaws are a better team then they've been given credit for. Skivington was invited to coach the England A team for a reason.
He got it because we have hardly any english head coaches and the ones we do have (Baxter, Vesty, Sanderson) all have a league that they are still trying to win and therefore won't want to take time away from their club for a game v a Tier 2 A team.
Vesty was the attack coach working under Skivington.

Baxter is to old to be given a development opportunity.

Not much use for Sanderson with Skivington there looking after the forwards.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Post by RagingBull »

Assistant backs is less work than head coach.

You can spin how much you want but Gloucester record under Skivington really doesn't suggest a good head coach or a good team. It's a team on it's day who can give out a :censored: nose to someone but that is every team in the league. The fact we nearly came close to winning despite being so much poorer sums it all up for me.

Like i'm a happy clapper but i'm still :censored: over that game lol
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:56 pm
That should be enough to see off Falcons. Pace outside, experience in each area, carrying threats, breakdown threats.
Agreed, we still rely on individual brillance to make things happen and are still yet to play as the sum of all our parts namely a team as all to evident in the last 2 games.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Diamond has toughened up Newcastle as Exeter found out yesterday.
I just hope our heads are in the right place for the whole game. If Pollard, Chessum, Martin aren’t playing I really do fear it could be a repeat of last season. I’ve been to Newcastle many times on a Friday night and I’m sure others who’ve been will testify, they usually get their best crowd v us and the fans and Falcons really do raise their game!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

That Falcons announcer/DJ bloke will crank it up, drowning out the commentary and belting out the tunes during every single break in play. Horrible !
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Mixture of what i would go with and what i think McKellar will go with.

Cronin, Montoya, Heyes, Martin, Wells, Hanro, Cracknell, Wiese, JvP, Pollard, OHC, Kata, Scott, Bassett, Steward

Bench of FTT, Whitcombe, Hurd, Hatherall, Rogerson, Lenny, Shillcock, Phil C

Personally i would start Whitcombe, and i would have Illione involved, but I don't think McKellar will go that way. He hasn't fancied Illione at 7 for most of the season, so I'm not sure he will change that now, sadly. He seems to prefer Rogerson or Cracknell at 7, which is a shame given Rogerson is more of a 6. That said, i can live with Cracknell at 7.

i've dropped DK. The lad looks bereft of confidence, and I would like Scott there for his defensive organisation, something we lacked last week.
Last edited by AViewFromLe2 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Is Scott fit? I'd have him as one of the first names on the team sheet if he is.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:47 pm Mixture of what i would go with and what i think McKellar will go with.

Cronin, Montoya, Heyes, Martin, Wells, Hanro, Cracknell, Wiese, JvP, Pollard, OHC, Kata, Scott, Bassett, Steward

Bench of FTT, Cronin, Hurd, Hatherall, Rogerson, Lenny, Shillcock, Phil C

Personally i would start Whitcombe, and i would have Illione involved, but I don't think McKellar will go that way. He hasn't fancied Illione at 7 for most of the season, so I'm not sure he will change that now, sadly. He seems to prefer Rogerson or Cracknell at 7, which is a shame given Rogerson is more of a 6. That said, i can live with Cracknell at 7.

i've dropped DK. The lad looks bereft of confidence, and I would like Scott there for his defensive organisation, something we lacked last week.
Cronin cant play 1 and 17.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:41 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:47 pm Mixture of what i would go with and what i think McKellar will go with.

ha good spot
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:41 pm

Need to stop focusing on what out players can't do... 🤣🤣🤣
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Hoping to get up there for the game as my brothers just moved up there. So selfishly hope mckellar experiments with a mixture of experience and youth, and just tells them to play. So I’ve put in as many different ball carriers as I can to stop weise getting marked out the game like last week.
Whitcomb
Montoya
hayes
Martin
Hatherall
Liebenberg
Ilione
Weise
Jvp
pollard
Ohc
Kata (if fit) cokanasiga (if not)
Scott
Bassett
Steward

Ftt
Cronin
Hurd (if fit) Hoyt (if not)
Wells
Cracknall
Whitley
Shilcock
Cokanasiga (if kata plays) porter (if not)
I know Newcastle sent as bad as theyre points make it look, but if mcKeller not going to try things and force it here a bit he’s not going to anywhere.
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

I’m hoping Cronin plays somewhere as my husband (his biggest fan) will spend the whole weekend sulking.
It’s bad enough that I’m being forced to watch the Falcons without my husband throwing a tantrum too :smt044
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

The team selection feels less important this week than how we approach the game.

We've got to try and find some fluency with ball in hand. We've got to find more ways to hurt the opposition than our driving maul.

After this it's Leinster and Saints and we won't beat either of them with the hyper-pragmatism we've seen recently.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:42 am After this it's Leinster and Saints and we won't beat either of them with the hyper-pragmatism we've seen recently.
Leinster we won't beat irrelevant of how we play.

Being pragmatic against Saints is a good tactic. Playing open end to end rugby against the best attack in the Prem is pretty dim when our attack is poor. Force their forwards to graft up front, they are weak at scrum time. Make them work hard, they'll find it hard to support the backs in attack then. Furbank isn't the strongest in the air, let's get him contesting kicks up against Steward. Saints also concede a lot of penalties when kept in their own half.