Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) - Premiership - Friday 29th March 2024 - KO: 19-45

Post by Old Hob »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm Carnduff has played lock for u20s but will primarily be a 6. I would imagine we’re triennial to bare bones fit the back 5 but that selection gives more carrying and line out options
Sorry. Perhaps a translation?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

According to the team announcement Cracknell has made 110 appearances for Tigers...that looks like Reffell's figures so it's either copy & paste or a "latish" change. (Illione should be starting but that leason is being ignored it would appear)

At this rate George Martin will make more appearances for England this season than Tigers.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Aside from Watson is that about our strongest back line?

Pack should be a match for theirs too and with 9 internationals on the field we should have more than enough to win comfortably.

Unfortunately the way we are playing suggests it’ll be he who makes the least mistakes that will win, just hoping that is us after two poor performances.

Weather looks okay but no doubt we’ll be looking to minimise risk after those two glocs performances and the neutrals will find it a tough watch!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm Carnduff has played lock for u20s but will primarily be a 6. I would imagine we’re triennial to bare bones fit the back 5 but that selection gives more carrying and line out options
Sorry. Perhaps a translation?
So sorry about down to bare bones of fit players for the back 5
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm Aside from Watson is that about our strongest back line?

Pack should be a match for theirs too and with 9 internationals on the field we should have more than enough to win comfortably.

Unfortunately the way we are playing suggests it’ll be he who makes the least mistakes that will win, just hoping that is us after two poor performances.

Weather looks okay but no doubt we’ll be looking to minimise risk after those two glocs performances and the neutrals will find it a tough watch!
Need to forget Watson for at least this season. Bassett was fine last week
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No Lenny on the bench, interesting call unless he picked up a knock
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

No Heyes, Martin, Chessum due injury is a concern but good to have Kata fit after going off last week and Pollard too..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm Aside from Watson is that about our strongest back line?

Need to forget Watson for at least this season. Bassett was fine last week
Agreed but if he was fit then he’s a starter for me.

TBH - accepting the game plan wasn’t great for a winger to shine, I just don’t see either OHC or Bassett being a player the opposition fear.

Neither has much X factor with OHC in particular not showing that extra pace he’s had historically and neither carries into or offloads out the contact to any great degree.

IMO - accepting a limited game plan isn’t helping - I’m not convinced either are that threatening ball in hand.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Diamond “ You’d expect a reaction coming up to little old Newcastle, and we’ll have to be at our best to stay close to them.

“They’ll turn to their mauling game, and it must be a new Australian technique or something with their head coach Dan McKellar because they’ve got blockers in all over those driving mauls, so they’re quite illegal. I’m hoping the refereeing department are having a look at them this week, but we’ve got to learn to defend it because they scored three against Gloucester last Friday.”

Little old Newcastle! Blockers! Illegal.. :smt015

Just hope the officials are swayed by his drivel!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm Diamond “ You’d expect a reaction coming up to little old Newcastle, and we’ll have to be at our best to stay close to them.

“They’ll turn to their mauling game, and it must be a new Australian technique or something with their head coach Dan McKellar because they’ve got blockers in all over those driving mauls, so they’re quite illegal. I’m hoping the refereeing department are having a look at them this week, but we’ve got to learn to defend it because they scored three against Gloucester last Friday.”

Little old Newcastle! Blockers! Illegal.. :smt015

Just hope the officials are swayed by his drivel!
So now what we want is to run all the tries in (big ask) and then see Diamond say your not allowed to run the ball inside of the 22, you can only score from open play from outside that area.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Seriously worried. How on earth do we manage to have half the pack out injured!
Could be a long night and will Kata and Pollard play??
INTHESINBIN

Post by INTHESINBIN »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm Seriously worried. How on earth do we manage to have half the pack out injured!
Could be a long night and will Kata and Pollard play??
They were both at the open session yesterday so I would expect to see them both running out.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Steve Diamond - comedy value right up there, absolutely hilarious. Maybe he should concentrate on what his side are doing, or rather not doing. It's a test for Dickson as it will be in the back of his mind for sure. Whilst Newcastle are missing a few key names with injury, I'm not overly confident, especially with the Tigers forwards. One thing Dimes is right about, is that we'd expect a reaction to losing at home last week. There again, we said that after the Prem Cup Final. As a fan, my confidence levels are low, so I just hope the boys can put in a winning performance. At last Carreras isn't playing this time.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I’m also worried a bout the future of the club as how many fans will renew season tickets( we have renewed) and others turn up to see Tigers when in a must game win we again have been hit by injuries to our internationals! Reffel, Cole, Martin, Chessum, Heyes! Maybe we are just unlucky or are we doing something wrong as we hardly ever see anything like a settled side.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm I’m also worried a bout the future of the club as how many fans will renew season tickets( we have renewed) and others turn up to see Tigers when in a must game win we again have been hit by injuries to our internationals! Reffel, Cole, Martin, Chessum, Heyes! Maybe we are just unlucky or are we doing something wrong as we hardly ever see anything like a settled side.
Cole has been given the week, been widely mentioned so not injured. Last update 9000 plus season ticket renewals more than the majority of most clubs average attendance