Sam Carter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tjs10inOz

Sam Carter

Post by tjs10inOz »

Any truth in rumours that he is returning to Australia and has signed with Western Force?
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Sam Carter

Post by ay2oh »

Wouldn’t surprise me as won’t get much game time when Chessum, Martin and Henderson are available + Chessum jnr coming through
A2O
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I hope so
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

On paper it made sense as a signing IMO.

Just not needed past this one I feel.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

It made sense signing him as we were short of 2 second rows at the world cup.

Now it doesn't make sense retaining him
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Carter was a reasonable signing: a good squad member but not a player that would get into many of the Premiership teams.
Sadly I’m not expecting young Chessum to get into the first team squad as, having watched him last season and a couple of times this season he hasn’t progressed and for me he really needs to work on his line out skills, ball retention and defence.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I actually suggested Carter before the rumour and announcement. One of my rare wins there. I rated him in the past and he had the McKellar link. I was happy when it announced, made sense for the squad.

Then LI went boom and I suddenly went, "Ahhh, it'd be nice to have a squad space that Chunya Munga would fit in right now". 20/20 hindsight there though.

I've largely been underwhelmed with Carter if I'm being brutally honest. He's a decent lineout operator but not in the Calum Green sort of impact there. He's shown some smart rucking at times. Many players stopped trying to use their feet in rucks after the rules about kicking it through changed. Carter does it smartly to disrupt without getting pinged. That's about it though. I just feel he's lost a bit of physicality with age, whilst the game has just got more physical in general.

I'd be very happy if Carnduff and Stump step into that squad place. It'd help the EQP numbers too.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

Understandable as wasn't he also here for the year to help bed in Dan as the coach so there was someone Dan could rely on to follow and explain his way and style etc and help gel with the lads and get things across, and now hes in and its time to move on
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

Well Carter was fully kitted up, warming up with Force pre-game vs Reds yesterday, with his legs strapped etc, so has clearly been granted an immediate release!

He wasn't named in the matchday 23 but certainly seemed to be familiarising himself with the lineout calls and his new team mates in Perth.
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

tjs10inOz wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:20 pm Well Carter was fully kitted up, warming up with Force pre-game vs Reds yesterday, with his legs strapped etc, so has clearly been granted an immediate release!

He wasn't named in the matchday 23 but certainly seemed to be familiarising himself with the lineout calls and his new team mates in Perth.
Wouldn't surprise me if he was only contracted till the end of the 6 nations. He was brought in to add depth to the fact that our 3 leading locks were all in the International reckoning (though Henderson missed WC squad) in a World Cup season.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

tjs10inOz wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:20 pm Well Carter was fully kitted up, warming up with Force pre-game vs Reds yesterday, with his legs strapped etc, so has clearly been granted an immediate release!
The club ought to be able to get a statement out to fans about a player leaving before he gets his new kit on!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:12 am
The club ought to be able to get a statement out to fans about a player leaving before he gets his new kit on!
Done now.... guessing they didn't expect him to be pictured this weekend...

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/lo ... rts-tigers
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Another example of Tigers top quality communications.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:12 am
Clearly not a priority when it comes to mushrooms
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean, maybe he went for a medical first. Can't really announce a player until it's all done and dusted.
Let's say he arrived in Aus Monday. Had medical Wednesday and signed the contract that night. From a marketing POV we are announcing a player Thursday, playing a game Friday night, then it's the weekend.

The club makes a lot of mistakes but not everything is to spite the supporters despite what some think.