Tigers vs Gloucester (H) - Premiership - Friday 22nd March 2024 - KO:19.45

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester (H) - Premiership - Friday 22nd March 2024 - KO:19.45

Post by Big Dai »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:50 pm Like the majority I was not too chuffed with last night's performance.
I left with 2 key points;

1- Glos looked/were sharper, and
2- Oh those missed kicks!

The only pos was 2 league points (4 tries & within 7).

Saints beaten, Quins are being thumped; we are not alone in a crowded small league.
Mr Teeth. I suffer from a similar affliction, possibly derived from a similar cause, being one of life's pushers and shovers rather than the catch it, run and fall over brigade.

Missed kicks. That's what you get when the accursed backs haven't got the wit or imagination to cross the line near the posts and leave it to the pushers and shovers to cross from a line out drive, invariably out wide. Thus making the kick difficult.

No imagination and a reliance on the rolling maul = kicks out wide and a bigger chance of a miss.

Nuff said!

Harrumph.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:00 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:50 pm Like the majority I was not too chuffed with last night's performance.

Saints beaten, Quins are being thumped; we are not alone in a crowded small league.
Mr Teeth. I suffer from a similar affliction, possibly derived from a similar cause, being one of life's pushers and shovers rather than the catch it, run and fall over brigade.

Missed kicks. That's what you get when the accursed backs haven't got the wit or imagination to cross the line near the posts and leave it to the pushers and shovers to cross from a line out drive, invariably out wide. Thus making the kick difficult.

No imagination and a reliance on the rolling maul = kicks out wide and a bigger chance of a miss.

Nuff said!

Harrumph.
That's the fault of the forwards, their first instinct is to drive to the corner, think about the kicker and make that first drive more in field. :smt052 :smt045
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

LE18 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:16 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:00 pm

Nuff said!

Harrumph.
That's the fault of the forwards, their first instinct is to drive to the corner, think about the kicker and make that first drive more in field. :smt052 :smt045
That's because most rolling mauls come from a line out near the corner so you have to maul less and beat less defenders as opposed to coming in field where the majority of defenders are spread along the goal line and you have to maul further and beat more defenders. Suffice to say if your rolling maul is your only source of points it goes with the territory that goal kicks are invariably out wide and more difficult.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

A certain Maverick" AB 10 in a Super Rugby game deliberately scored right by the corner flag...then banged the conversion over.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:31 pm A certain Maverick" AB 10 in a Super Rugby game deliberately scored right by the corner flag...then banged the conversion over.
Let's sign him and our problems shall be over :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

A couple of thoughts from me. I thought we did try to play a more attacking game, I saw some pace down the right wing in the first half but I think our attack is based on flat passing and we give too many flat man and ball passes resulting in dropped balls. I think we need to pull the ball back sometimes and then change the direction and create a gap that way like many other sides do. (sarries)?
We did continue to try to attack but we do need an attack coach, sorry but Matt Smith was only a decent winger, not a decent centre, very faithful player but his style could never translate to being a prem attack coach.
We have to stop this dreadful box kicking from everywhere on the pitch, yes kick in your own 22 but get it into touch.
I thought Weise and Montoya tried very hard, not sure they warranted the criticism?.
One last point I thought Gloucs put in a couple of very crucial tackles when we were steaming down that right wing.
Overall I was very disappointed to lose with all our stars returning, I would have rested Chessum after his 2 stingers and played Martin who has not had too many games, why didnt we?
I still think Martin would make a great No 8.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:40 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:31 pm A certain Maverick" AB 10 in a Super Rugby game deliberately scored right by the corner flag...then banged the conversion over.
Let's sign him and our problems shall be over :smt003
One Flu over the cuckoo's nest?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:54 pm We have to stop this dreadful box kicking from everywhere on the pitch, yes kick in your own 22 but get it into touch.
Most sides in rugby will kick from their own half unless they've got first phase or turnover ball. Modern defences tend to be to good and goal kickers to accurate to risk playing out from your own half unless the opposition defence isn't aligned properly.

We go further than most because we redeveloped our game plan under Borthwick who was risk averse and lacking an attack coach we've kept that crutch. Until we've got a quality attacking structure in place operating with cohesion we'd be suicidal to run more from our own half.
INTHESINBIN

Post by INTHESINBIN »

Terracetiger4 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:56 pm I am yet to feel confident the decision to let Charlie Atkinson leave to keep brown and play shillcock at 10 full time was the right decision. Shillcock was next to useless tonight. And the last few times he’s played at 10 he’s missed crucial tackles. I was once told by a fan having a 10 like Atkinson is pointless cause he can’t kick from the tea. Well other than the bath kick I’ve not seen much from shillcock to prove he can as well.
Do you think that is a fair assessment? Atkinson and Pollard have missed plenty of kicks this season too, as did Ford & F.Smith in the 6N, and yes, if Shillcock had got those kicks and all other factors remained the same, we would’ve won. However, nobody seems to mention that if he had got all of those kicks but had not scored the try & converted that kick, that we would’ve still lost anyway.
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

We would have won if Shilcock hadn’ t come in too fast and missed two tackles that led to two of their tries.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

PJM wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:40 pm We would have won if Shilcock hadn’ t come in too fast and missed two tackles that led to two of their tries.
Seems a lot of blame being put on shilcock, he wasn’t great but who was, I personally thought for Harris try Raffell had come up way to fast living everyone behind and in order to try and then close that dog leg Shilcock then had to come up quicker out of the defensive line. People also have to remember he’s a fullback and 3rd choice 10, most of his Worcester games where fullback and he then played a bit of 10 in Japan.
INTHESINBIN

Post by INTHESINBIN »

PJM wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:40 pm We would have won if Shilcock hadn’ t come in too fast and missed two tackles that led to two of their tries.
I can only assume that you didn’t watch the game and therefore are unaware of the other missed tackles by numerous other players, that subsequently led to us conceding a try. The blame game really is boring.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

If we'd have won on Friday night it would have been the classic "papering over the cracks" scenario. Let's be blunt, we're not going to win anything this season. I get the club/coaches have to say that we're still in 2 competitions, but we're not. This isn't a new thing, we've been banging on about the attack for a couple of seasons now. I watched the Bath v Sale game and it's night and day in terms of attack. Not just the back line, it's forwards cutting lines, using footwork, offering themselves up. We are one dimensional. The ball goes out to the edges in hope rather than with any purpose. Poor OHC an Bassett are either chasing kicks of getting the ball with a defensive wall in front of them. Admittedly, was it twice when Bassett got the ball in space and made considerable metres ? When both Bath and Sale got turnover ball, they "came alive", trying to exploit the space. If they kicked, it was intelligent kicking into space, not aimlessly kicking it straight down the throat of the full back/covering player.

It's all very worrying to be honest. Newcastle away is never easy. You'd hope that they'd be a reaction to the Gloucester game, but we said that about the Prem Cup Final and it didn't happen. If the players are tired...why are they ? Are we over-training ? Not a clue but this can't go on for much longer. I never turn a Tigers game off/over on TV, but that's the closest I've been.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:39 am
It's all very worrying to be honest. Newcastle away is never easy. You'd hope that they'd be a reaction to the Gloucester game, but we said that about the Prem Cup Final and it didn't happen. If the players are tired...why are they ? Are we over-training ? Not a clue but this can't go on for much longer. I never turn a Tigers game off/over on TV, but that's the closest I've been.
Maybe Aled was a bigger loss calculated. We may not recover from having the coaching team ripped out from under us for ages. It's not just Borthwick. Infact I think he was the smallest contributor. Wiggly, Sir Kev and Aled were irreplaceable as a unit.
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

Stephen18 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:31 am
Seems a lot of blame being put on shilcock, he wasn’t great but who was, I personally thought for Harris try Raffell had come up way to fast living everyone behind and in order to try and then close that dog leg Shilcock then had to come up quicker out of the defensive line. People also have to remember he’s a fullback and 3rd choice 10, most of his Worcester games where fullback and he then played a bit of 10 in Japan.
Yeah your right I wasn’t watching the game it must have been a replay of the week before. So it must have been Pollard with the missed tackles, missed kicks and general lack of attack play from the team.