LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:56 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:39 pm Saints have signed Tom West. Poss opportunity missed for us, there.
They’ve also signed George Makepeace-Cubbit at 10 too, he looked very promising in the U20 games and can play across the backline as well as strongly at 10.

With us letting go Meredith, Wilkinson and not having much depth at 10 at all, feel like he would have been a strong signing at 10 and versatile. Hey ho!
Tom Threlfall is meant to be extremely highly rated. He should be moving up into our Senior Academy and suggestions seem to be we want minimal barriers to stop him developing.

I wonder if Joe Woodward was a 10/12 breaking through initially, it may be he may cover 10 a bit too going forwards

I think we need to sign one more 2nd choice 10 who is a competent starter, and we may be ok at 10.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:02 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:56 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:39 pm Saints have signed Tom West. Poss opportunity missed for us, there.
They’ve also signed George Makepeace-Cubbit at 10 too, he looked very promising in the U20 games and can play across the backline as well as strongly at 10.

With us letting go Meredith, Wilkinson and not having much depth at 10 at all, feel like he would have been a strong signing at 10 and versatile. Hey ho!
Tom Threlfall is meant to be extremely highly rated. He should be moving up into our Senior Academy and suggestions seem to be we want minimal barriers to stop him developing.

I wonder if Joe Woodward was a 10/12 breaking through initially, it may be he may cover 10 a bit too going forwards

I think we need to sign one more 2nd choice 10 who is a competent starter, and we may be ok at 10.
Fully appreciate Tom Threfall is a talent and highly regarded, but at 18 has very little senior rugby exposure. Also agree Woodward has played 10 before, but not for a long time and has possibly not been kicking as regularly either.

For me I’d want at least another quality 10 coming in who can be that 2nd choice.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Could do with a Zak Henry-esque signing. Would solve the backup for a year or two til Thredfell develops a bit more
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

Just announced that Ollie Devoto is leaving Exeter. Would love to see him at Tigers
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

George Ford came out of nowhere to make his Tigers debut at 16, maybe Threlfall is deemed good enough to have a breakthrough season next year and will be understudy to Pollard.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about him....
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Tiglon wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:53 pm George Ford came out of nowhere to make his Tigers debut at 16, maybe Threlfall is deemed good enough to have a breakthrough season next year and will be understudy to Pollard.

Could be argued to be splitting hairs about "nowhere" but Ford had played for England U-18s at 15 and was quite widely flagged as the best young player since Wilko. It was considered a big coup to get him to join at 16.

I can't recall ever seen Threlfall play, but would say the only fly halves to have even semi-regularly played as teenagers were Goode and Ford. If we rate him that highly then fair enough.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sk 88 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:20 pm
Tiglon wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:53 pm George Ford came out of nowhere to make his Tigers debut at 16, maybe Threlfall is deemed good enough to have a breakthrough season next year and will be understudy to Pollard.

Could be argued to be splitting hairs about "nowhere" but Ford had played for England U-18s at 15 and was quite widely flagged as the best young player since Wilko. It was considered a big coup to get him to join at 16.

I can't recall ever seen Threlfall play, but would say the only fly halves to have even semi-regularly played as teenagers were Goode and Ford. If we rate him that highly then fair enough.
You're right, Ford didn't come out of nowhere. I suppose it's actually impossible to come out of nowhere, so it was asking for someone to correct me.

As I say, I know nothing about Threlfall, for all I know he could also have been playing U18 at 15. I knew nothing about Ford either, until he ran out in a Tigers jersey.

I'm not saying Threlfall is that good (see disclaimer) or that we do rate him that highly. It was just a thought, a possibility, a musing if you will.
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

rich1576 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:45 pm Just announced that Ollie Devoto is leaving Exeter. Would love to see him at Tigers
Devoto is more of a 12 I think, so would have thought this was unlikely.
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

Seems to be some whispers that Jasper will be playing for the Bulls next season, has anyone else heard this?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

albany wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:57 pm Seems to be some whispers that Jasper will be playing for the Bulls next season, has anyone else heard this?
Would not be surprised as it was reported that he wanted to return to SA so that the grandparents can enjoy time with him, his partner and there first child.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:44 pm
sk 88 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:20 pm

You're right, Ford didn't come out of nowhere. I suppose it's actually impossible to come out of nowhere, so it was asking for someone to correct me.

As I say, I know nothing about Threlfall, for all I know he could also have been playing U18 at 15. I knew nothing about Ford either, until he ran out in a Tigers jersey.

I'm not saying Threlfall is that good (see disclaimer) or that we do rate him that highly. It was just a thought, a possibility, a musing if you will.
I may be wrong but think Threlfall was picked for England U18's when he was U17 age group
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

albany wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:57 pm Seems to be some whispers that Jasper will be playing for the Bulls next season, has anyone else heard this?
I heard Japan.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I am getting a little worried about player depth at certain positions. In contrast to Saints who were thin at 10 and have just recruited two good players to compete with Smith and Furbank, we seem to be heading in the other direction...and at present, we seem to be losing more backs than we are recruiting. As others have noted, 10 now looks thin. Hopefully someone can correct me, especially as I have lost track of who is now in the development team...maybe we have some up and coming youngsters?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

.. only half the story thus far - who is leaving.
Come the time, when present obligations and commitments are ended the other half of the story will be known to all...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Tigersunited wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:46 am
I heard Japan.
Can’t remember which podcast it was but it was discussed that it was possible to do both. It was suggested the times made it possible to go to Japan as a stopgap/earner then back home