LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Rugbygramps »

Depends on the definition of significant. One definition puts it as noteworthy or sufficient importance.
By that definition you could say our last significant signing was Pollard, I wouldn’t say any of the 3 signings so far have been particularly noteworthy, though all 3 are good signings imo.

With the increase in cap how much of that has been taken up ensuring our young internationals aren’t tempted away
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by GB72 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:46 pm Find that very strange as Andrea stated that we would spend up to the cap. We must have knocked at least £1M off the wage bill with those departures and even if the 3 new signings + contract renewals amount to the same the cap has gone up by £1.5M so either Andea has mislead us or their are more signings to come.
OR we have to keep some money in reserve for new contracts during next season plus signings and injury cover as the season goes on. Spending up to the cap does not mean necessarily going into day one of the season with every penny spent.

Or, as was suggested on here before, we have been a bit tricky and are going without a marquee player so are spending more of the cap without any more players (that I would not be happy with, would be very sneaky).

We have less games and no World Cup to contend with next year so i would not be suprised with a smaller squad plus we are losing a ton of cash every year and have cut back on everything we can so would not be surprised if player salary cuts became necessary especially if we do not make top 4 and lose income from 2 more potential matches.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:46 pm Find that very strange as Andrea stated that we would spend up to the cap. We must have knocked at least £1M off the wage bill with those departures and even if the 3 new signings + contract renewals amount to the same the cap has gone up by £1.5M so either Andea has mislead us or their are more signings to come.
The re signings apparently put a big dent in the cap increase and we have spent up to the new limit as I understand it.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Blimey they must have had a hell of an increase then.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:26 pm Blimey they must have had a hell of an increase then.
Liebenberg, Heyes & Martin (especially) could all have had decent wage increases
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Even at 100K increases each that should count for 300K extra off.

I struggle to see us just signing 3 players, I don't expect any more obvious starters for next season but depth wise centres will be bare bones.
I don't see realistically how we could afford to buy out Simmonds and Marchant and if any talks are happening it's most likely for the season after next.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:45 pm Even at 100K increases each that should count for 300K extra off.

I struggle to see us just signing 3 players, I don't expect any more obvious starters for next season but depth wise centres will be bare bones.
I don't see realistically how we could afford to buy out Simmonds and Marchant and if any talks are happening it's most likely for the season after next.
Agreed its all very fishy to me
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:18 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:45 pm Even at 100K increases each that should count for 300K extra off.

Can I ask why you think it’s fishy when not all signings have been announced and this has come off the back of one posters supposed good source
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I agree there must be more signings still to be announced but we are perhaps waiting for a good time to announce them.

At least one more centre must be incoming.

There may also be more renewals to announce which might account for more of the cap.

We could also be taking on the Bath plan of going into the season with a little cap space left unused with a view to covering injuries or certain players becoming available. Worked for Bath very well last season.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:33 pm

Can I ask why you think it’s fishy when not all signings have been announced and this has come off the back of one posters supposed good source
Very good source TBH and we all know when the proof of the pudding is!
I understand a huge frustration for clubs recruitment and retention while the cap goes up, is agents and players all recognise there is more money so want much better contracts - the cap has gone up nearly 30% so I presume they expect something comparative.
As for the likes of Martin, for example, I don’t know when his previous contract was? Probably academy or early break through? His wage could be up by a multiple of 5 so if that was say £60k = £300k
Anyway, let’s see….
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

So you’re saying that our wage bill is £1.5M more for next season for 10 fewer players . If this is the case it’s no wonder we are struggling to make a profit.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigersunited wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:42 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:33 pm

Very good source TBH and we all know when the proof of the pudding is!
I understand a huge frustration for clubs recruitment and retention while the cap goes up, is agents and players all recognise there is more money so want much better contracts - the cap has gone up nearly 30% so I presume they expect something comparative.
As for the likes of Martin, for example, I don’t know when his previous contract was? Probably academy or early break through? His wage could be up by a multiple of 5 so if that was say £60k = £300k
Anyway, let’s see….
You know your source. As I said earlier it depends on your definition of significant
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://westernforce.rugby/news/force-c ... ly-2024418

Nic Dolly officially confirmed (again) to Western Force. As he joins Carter and Potter back in bis homeland.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

We're still a bit early days to be comparing business and squad sizes.

I know various people like the soundbites about stuff being done so far in advance but it's only the case for a few of the bigger pieces.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
PAW2
Tiger Cub

Post by PAW2 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:43 am https://westernforce.rugby/news/force-c ... ly-2024418

Nic Dolly officially confirmed (again) to Western Force. As he joins Carter and Potter back in bis homeland.
Sounds like a good move for Nic. Sorry to see him go, but going home to a place with familiar faces around him, must be appealing.