LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Postiger2 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:06 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:56 pm The wonder back is off to Leinster...
There are others than Jordie Barrett

Lozowski plays 10 & 13

Also AViewFromLe2 pointed out on Twitter that Sam James is leaving Sale, now I think he's rumoured off to France, but he's a 13 who covers 12, 10 & 15
Sam James would be a great signing. Can't see it happening, though. He'd be ideal for Tigers. A very underrated player IMHO
CrumbieGrumbler
Tiger Cub

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by CrumbieGrumbler »

As Wilkinson was not on our original set of leavers, it would appear that we wanted to keep him and were in negotiations but the promise of more game time has tempted him away. I really hope we have someone lined up otherwise we are very short at 10 but with how other situations have been handled this year, ie attack coach, I am fearing the worst.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

CrumbieGrumbler wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:33 am ..but with how other situations have been handled this year, ie attack coach, I am fearing the worst.
You clearly must have inside knowledge about what went on and the circumstances around it to suggest that the management have handled it in an unsatisfactory and incompetent manner. Do please tell so we can all judge.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumbieGrumbler wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:33 am As Wilkinson was not on our original set of leavers, it would appear that we wanted to keep him and were in negotiations but the promise of more game time has tempted him away. I really hope we have someone lined up otherwise we are very short at 10 but with how other situations have been handled this year, ie attack coach, I am fearing the worst.
I read it the other way. We wouldn't have announced leavers unless all others had a contract before the announcement.

Therefore we're only letting him go because we're willing to have his contract bought out/released because we have a replacement lined up.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:46 pm who was the other young 10 at Wasps with Atkinson, I remember he was highly rated, where has he ended up?
Will Haydon-Wood? He’s now at Exeter and seems to have nailed down the 22 jersey.

https://all.rugby/player/will-haydon-wood
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:15 am
CrumbieGrumbler wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:33 am As Wilkinson was not on our original set of leavers, it would appear that we wanted to keep him and were in negotiations but the promise of more game time has tempted him away. I really hope we have someone lined up otherwise we are very short at 10 but with how other situations have been handled this year, ie attack coach, I am fearing the worst.
I read it the other way. We wouldn't have announced leavers unless all others had a contract before the announcement.

Therefore we're only letting him go because we're willing to have his contract bought out/released because we have a replacement lined up.
Especially as with the South African test schedule we aren’t going to see much, if anything of Pollard before December
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:40 am

Especially as with the South African test schedule we aren’t going to see much, if anything of Pollard before December
The Rugby Championship clashes with round 1 & 2 of the Premiership, there are then 4 further rounds before the Autumn release window. Presuming no injury or ban, I'd expect him on the bench in round 3 and starting round 4 (unless someone else has nailed the shirt down with great form).
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:38 pm

The Rugby Championship clashes with round 1 & 2 of the Premiership, there are then 4 further rounds before the Autumn release window. Presuming no injury or ban, I'd expect him on the bench in round 3 and starting round 4 (unless someone else has nailed the shirt down with great form).
Taking into account travel, rest, integration back into the squad, and the arrival of a new baby I think you may be being overly optimistic. I hope I’m wrong
CrumbieGrumbler
Tiger Cub

MCC1964 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:28 am
CrumbieGrumbler wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:33 am ..but with how other situations have been handled this year, ie attack coach, I am fearing the worst.
You clearly must have inside knowledge about what went on and the circumstances around it to suggest that the management have handled it in an unsatisfactory and incompetent manner. Do please tell so we can all judge.
Blimey, is there any need to be so hostile and sarcastic? I was merely sharing my own opinion and worries.
CrumbieGrumbler
Tiger Cub

That's a good point and hopefully the case!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

SA might not call him up.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:42 pm
sk 88 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:38 pm

Taking into account travel, rest, integration back into the squad, and the arrival of a new baby I think you may be being overly optimistic. I hope I’m wrong
Depends whether the Boks look to Pollard for both the summer and the AIs. They may use the AIs or some of the summer tests in order to try out a new flyhalf or give Libbok more chances.

There's the goal kicking 12 who was a flyhalf through age grade Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu from the Stomers. He's got some vocal support from the likes of Victor Matfield. Siya Masuku the Sharks flyhalf has been a bright spark in an otherwise disappointing season for them. Willemse will still be in there as well though maybe more as a 15 with le Roux now surely retired though Fassi and Green are two other options for the Boks at 15.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I agree Sam we don’t know how much he will be involved, if at all?.
The Boks do have a history of splitting their squad, only sending some to Argentina for example.
One of the interesting things will be where they play Moody, not sure they’ve found his best position yet
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Saints have signed Tom West. Poss opportunity missed for us, there.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Postiger2 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:39 pm Saints have signed Tom West. Poss opportunity missed for us, there.
They’ve also signed George Makepeace-Cubbit at 10 too, he looked very promising in the U20 games and can play across the backline as well as strongly at 10.

With us letting go Meredith, Wilkinson and not having much depth at 10 at all, feel like he would have been a strong signing at 10 and versatile. Hey ho!