LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sk 88 »

Let's put it this way. There are three states for a coach to be in:

1) Going so badly a change is needed immediately.
2) Going so well that you are actively trying to extend their contract.
3) Going middling, and nether looking to change nor extend.

McKeller has two years left on his initial contract. He's very solidly in camp 3) for me. Things are not going so well that I want us to commit longer at this stage. They are not going so badly we must change immediately.

He has to get a grip on his coaching staff as that excuse has worn totally through for me. I have no interest in any whinging and excuses over who is, or isn't, on his staff any more. He needs to make the best of it, that's literally his job.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:16 am Let's put it this way. There are three states for a coach to be in:

McKeller has two years left on his initial contract. He's very solidly in camp 3) for me. Things are not going so well that I want us to commit longer at this stage. They are not going so badly we must change immediately.

He has to get a grip on his coaching staff as that excuse has worn totally through for me. I have no interest in any whinging and excuses over who is, or isn't, on his staff any more. He needs to make the best of it, that's literally his job.
Think this sums my thoughts too.

Not great, not bad. Excuses time running out.

Unless he turns it round and wins the league this season, just hold off any decisions on changing/extending till we see how next season goes.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:16 am Let's put it this way. There are three states for a coach to be in:

I would say that is a fair assessment. Imo the unrest the situation with Dickens caused can not be overstated, and personally I would like to judge him after a season with an attack coach and no World Cup.
Tbf to McKellar he has complained or whinged but said they are trying to make the best of a less than ideal situation.

Looking at the other 9 premiership clubs other than Falcons, they have all had at least the core of their senior coaching team in place for over 3 years.
Tigers have been called the Manchester United of rugby because of their support and worldwide appeal, let’s not get like them with the coaches too
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Looking at how long if has taken Saints to really click with an excellent attack coach, but maybe less overall coaching experience, I think next year could be too early for real flowing attack. Certainly the all court game play we saw from the successful teams in Europe this weekend needs real team cohesion and everyone on the same page. I think that requires more coaching skill than we have currently in the attack and possibly all coaching roles.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Agree with most of the above. Way to early to judge McKellar absolutely - there's been some good and some bad this season, next year is where we will see if he is the future.

Of course you would get rid of a coach who is "not good enough", the difference of opinion comes in how we decide whether he is good enough or not. I really don't see what has gone so horrifically wrong under McKellar and to sack him now would be extraordinary, and completely reckless.

I like to think Tigers isn't run by spoilt, child-like oligarchs, so I suspect McKellar is 100% safe at the moment.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Offside wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:34 am Looking at how long if has taken Saints to really click with an excellent attack coach, but maybe less overall coaching experience, I think next year could be too early for real flowing attack. Certainly the all court game play we saw from the successful teams in Europe this weekend needs real team cohesion and everyone on the same page. I think that requires more coaching skill than we have currently in the attack and possibly all coaching roles.
The point was made that all 4 games were won by sides with an all court game and excellent attacking shape.
Re Saints Dowson and Vesty have been there for 3 seasons initially under Boyd who still consults
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree that we cannot judge McKellar until next season at the earliest when he has got a full coaching staff and some of his own signings. He has inherited this squad and will no doubt have 3 or 4 players that he wants to bring in once current contracts have expired.
A2O
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:00 am Agree that we cannot judge McKellar until next season at the earliest when he has got a full coaching staff and some of his own signings. He has inherited this squad and will no doubt have 3 or 4 players that he wants to bring in once current contracts have expired.
I am somewhat bored with this argument as we have had it for every coach since Cockers. Coaches know what they are getting into when they sign their contracts they will never ever inherit anything but the status quo. At the end of the day its all about expectation and I believe you can judge a Head Coach at any stage otherwise you may as well just right off the first season of every new head coach.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

De Bruin has signed for Newcastle, can tick him off the list of potential signings
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

I believe and to an extent know that The Club are committed to and will back Mckellar at this time...

The question - and I stress that this is my concern and my own alone - is whether Mckellar will show the same commitment and backing to The Club. He is a long way from home and human nature suggests that he will both want and fell the necessity of being surrounded by and working with those he has both trust and faith in....

Time ,as always, will tell....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:22 am I believe and to an extent know that The Club are committed to and will back Mckellar at this time...

The question - and I stress that this is my concern and my own alone - is whether Mckellar will show the same commitment and backing to The Club. He is a long way from home and human nature suggests that he will both want and fell the necessity of being surrounded by and working with those he has both trust and faith in....

Time ,as always, will tell....
Surely he has shown that commitment by moving his family lock stock and barrel lover to the UK.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Like others have said happy to almost write this season off with a new coach, WC year etc. Think that’s fair as SB basically had one season to bed in new systems / players and we were no better then in that first season than we are now.

I think it should also be said that with three clubs going under, the playing squads of rival clubs have definitely gotten better and the standard in the league a higher level.

However, really don’t want any excuses next season. We’ll have the UK internationals from the get go and arguably a better squad, especially in the backs. Top 4 should be an absolute minimum with top 2 the main priority.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:16 am De Bruin has signed for Newcastle, can tick him off the list of potential signings
https://twitter.com/FalconsRugby/status ... VoUsA&s=19

Good signing for them. He was good for us, think he's a very Steve Diamond type player, and fits with their ethos of smaller squad size to fit under their financial restrictions.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:22 am

Think this sums my thoughts too.

Not great, not bad. Excuses time running out.

Unless he turns it round and wins the league this season, just hold off any decisions on changing/extending till we see how next season goes.
Maybe i'm misreading this but I haven't seen him use any excuses on the whole.
He's mentioned it's not ideal the situation with coaches but that's hardly an excuse
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:35 am
kpj tiger wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:16 am De Bruin has signed for Newcastle, can tick him off the list of potential signings
https://twitter.com/FalconsRugby/status ... VoUsA&s=19

Good signing for them. He was good for us, think he's a very Steve Diamond type player, and fits with their ethos of smaller squad size to fit under their financial restrictions.
If he stays fit he should def be an improvement on their current options at TH or LH