LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:01 am I think if the club have any more signings ready they really could do with rolling them out soon.

Most especially an attack coach announcement for next year...

The club needs to get ahead of some of the negativity and give the fans a shot in the arm and a boost.
Agree with this as we need to give the fans something positive which may also help season ticket sales.
A2O
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Pellsey »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:53 am
Pellsey wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:49 am
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:53 pm ….and for Healey to question if he’s going fast enough is just inaccurate and frankly, wrong. I see on social media everyone is now questioning OHC - funny that - well done Austin.
To be fair, it didn't need (Mr Healy) to realise that he is not playing as well or running as quickly as he did previously. He is just not backing himself. Last week, he was outpaced by a fly-half, something an international winger should never be. To me it looks more like a confidence thing or maybe he is just not happy, neither of which is helped by putting him down. The general opinion though is IMHO correct, as harsh as it may be.
It’s last years 6N to be fair but:

FASTEST SIX NATIONS PLAYERS:
BRONZE MEDAL: OLLIE HASSELL-COLLINS (ENGLAND) — 11.9 (100m)

Personally I would like to see more of his pace. Injuries set you back there’s no question but when he was at Irish I think their style of play suited him far more. Standing around getting cold on the wing while we maul and keep it tight I the forwards doesn’t really give him the chance to display his skillset. Then when he does get the ball it all seems a bit forced. I would like to see him given the chance to show what he can do. He is rapid. You can’t expect him to be hitting top speed if he rarely touches the ball then gets sent on a length of the field footrace.. that’s exactly how the hamstring goes. I like him, I don’t think he is lazy I just think we don’t use him properly or give him the ball enough

https://www.ruck.co.uk/if-you-entered-e ... would-win/
Agreed! With his pace, this is kind of my point :smt040 Last year he was very fast. This year he isn't... whether that is because he has slowed down (which seems rediculous!) or that his heart is just not in it, for whatever reason. In any case, he needs some help to get to where we all know he can be. He really can be a great player, but he is just not on form at the moment, IMHO.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

A player running flat out at a man with the ball is to a certain extent out of control, he is easily sidestepped leaving a large space behind him that the ball carrier can take advantage of. A more measured approach with the ability to change direction can see the ball carrier elect to kick handing possession albeit further up field to the other team. Obviously the ideal.is to arrive in time to tackle the man whilst still.In possession of the ball deep in his own 22, the judgement of which is the most achievable alternative.lies with the player on the pitch not with a former great now acting as a pundit.
I loved Austin as a player, there were times when his decision making was questionable but you could never question his commitment and I don't think he should do that about a current player without more evidence or knowledge of what the Head Coach has demanded of his players in certain circumstances.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

A combination of all of the above. Confidence probably gone, given every week you're stood out on the wing wondering if you'll ever get the ball and if you do, is it from Kelly, Kata, Scott or someone else. Like I said, I would guess he's a player that needs an arm around him and being told how good he is. At Irish he would get his hands on the ball regularly, at Tigers it doesn't happen and you're bound to start doubting your ability if you're not putting it into practice. You can back yourself all you like but if you don't get the opportunity to show it - when you do get a chance, there's probably a tendency to over think etc
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

11.9 for 100m? That's slow. International wingers are under 11, some closer to 10.5. He wouldn't have made the 1960s Welsh team with that speed. Might be a typo TBH.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:41 pm 11.9 for 100m? That's slow. International wingers are under 11, some closer to 10.5. He wouldn't have made the 1960s Welsh team with that speed. Might be a typo TBH.
10.5 with boots on, in winter and on a grass field? I think that is optimistic - Bryan Habana's best time on a track was 10.4 by all accounts.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:41 pm 11.9 for 100m? That's slow. International wingers are under 11, some closer to 10.5. He wouldn't have made the 1960s Welsh team with that speed. Might be a typo TBH.
The way OHC was running on Saturday I reckon half that Welsh team could still beat him :smt005
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:25 pm
10.5 with boots on, in winter and on a grass field? I think that is optimistic - Bryan Habana's best time on a track was 10.4 by all accounts.
Under 10.5 seconds would have you start moving towards the realms of professional sprinters. That's incredibly quick.

Tom Varndell was one of the fastest wingers to play in the game and he was clocked at 10.8 though not in spikes.

OHC looks like he's carrying a knock to me. Pulling out of the breakdown and then getting caught sprinting for the line. He didn't look super comfortable. Still beat defenders and played better than people are giving credit for.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

1960's would have been 100 yards :smt017
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:01 am I think if the club have any more signings ready they really could do with rolling them out soon.

The club needs to get ahead of some of the negativity and give the fans a shot in the arm and a boost.
Totally agree with all of this. Some hope for next season would be great. This season has been a non-event and we're losing our best player at the end of it.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I would like the club to publicly set out their goals for next season and their vision as to the style of rugby we aspire to? Also what are the clubs plans to ensure this shall happen?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Remember when we were linked with Rassie, Townsend, Chieka etc, and then many of us (it's fair to say) were slightly underwhelmed when DMK was announced? I wonder if the players felt similarly disappointed?

Just a thought.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:04 pm

I would like the club to publicly set out their goals for next season and their vision as to the style of rugby we aspire to? Also what are the clubs plans to ensure this shall happen?
Publicly they'll always say they plan to compete on all three fronts.

The addition of an experienced attack coach, a physical centre and an additional breakdown threat in the forwards would go a long way towards giving me more confidence.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Munster’s Gavin Coombes is out of contract in 2025. Plays 8 or 6 and can cover lock, a bit like Hatherall. Could he be worth it?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LekkerTigers wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:56 pm Munster’s Gavin Coombes is out of contract in 2025. Plays 8 or 6 and can cover lock, a bit like Hatherall. Could he be worth it?
What's he like over the ball? We need more breakdown threat across the pack. Our defence is not excellent when we can target the breakdown, slow the opposition down then go hard on defence and repeat. When the opposition can repeated phases of quick ball the momentum stops us going up hard in defence and we will give ground and eventually break. Can't keep having Reffell and Montoya being our only breakdown threats.