LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:39 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:27 pm And a few matches previously some were suggesting Whitely had moved ahead of Youngs. I do regret losing Edwards as I regret losing Ben White in my opinion due to the unnecessary signing of Wigglesworth, but we fans can have opinions without having to make decisions, I can imagine the club thinking we need more experienced back up to JVP and Youngs than Edwards & Allen so could only keep one of them.
John, sadly I think Ben has become very poor, he looks jaded, he should retire now whilst he is still of a decent standard, he is not getting any younger, and as for Whitely, well enough has been written on him, I hope Allen moves up very soon, also his replacement last night was impressive..
Regarding Ben White I was more in favour of Simmons, but again enough has been written abour that comparison.
Personally I think it’s too early to be writing Lenny epitaph based on a couple of sightings in a pub.
Very difficult time for him with him not being involved in the England set up for over a decade and all the adjustments that takes.
Let’s see how he is after a full club pre season for the first time in ages
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Tiglon »

I've heard that even Ben Youngs' critics think he's still "of a decent standard" so I reckon he's got plenty left in him.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

a summer off and a full pre season and Lenny will be firing again next season
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Youngs is now a total liability. he is far far too slow, doesnt look fit, rounded in body and all he can do is kick. Badly. Time to retire.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

For the first time in many seasons Ben Youngs will have a proper Summer to first enjoy being with his family then a full preseason with Tigers.
He has been a great player for us and England and I for one would like to see him play like Manu always does, with a smile on his face, giving his all as back up to Jack VP!
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Agreed! He’s still got skills and experience that will be needed to help settle in new team players next season.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:40 pm For the first time in many seasons Ben Youngs will have a proper Summer to first enjoy being with his family then a full preseason with Tigers.
He has been a great player for us and England and I for one would like to see him play like Manu always does, with a smile on his face, giving his all as back up to Jack VP!
He had a full pre-season with us in 2021 & 2022.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

sk 88 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:02 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:40 pm For the first time in many seasons Ben Youngs will have a proper Summer to first enjoy being with his family then a full preseason with Tigers.
He had a full pre-season with us in 2021 & 2022.
But given why he was at 'home' - Tiffany's illness and death - I doubt that you could say that he fully 'enjoyed' being with his family either year.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Ben spent a good bit of that preseason supporting Tom and the family.
It wasn’t in my eyes a pre season.
Thanks Ben for what you’ve done and will do for us.
And great to see Tom on the Crumbie v Bristol.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:16 pm Ben spent a good bit of that preseason supporting Tom and the family.
Agree with all of that, and it's a pity Tom's team can't catch.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:16 pm Ben spent a good bit of that preseason supporting Tom and the family.
As a past near neigbour my wife and I had a lovely chat with him on the night v Bristol, but No he assures me I didnt see him in a Porshe in Norfolk, he doesn't have one. I was wrong giving way to someone else. :smt005
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Watson on Instagram with boots saying “thank god” - looks like he’s back running. Will we see him vs Chiefs maybe ?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:41 pm Watson on Instagram with boots saying “thank god” - looks like he’s back running. Will we see him vs Chiefs maybe ?
No chance.

Season is gone there is zero point risking him.

Give him a full preseason without England sniffing.

Let him build up to rugby and hopefully have next season injury free
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Kieran Wilkinson leaves to join Falcons

Wouldn’t be surprised if Falcons came in giving him a pathway to starting 10, shame as he should a lot of promise v the Black Lions but never got game time outside that.

He isn’t what I call a starter though so if Falcons is giving him that pathway I can understand why he would want to take it.

Guessing we have a 10 lined up with him and Meredith gone
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:04 pm Kieran Wilkinson leaves to join Falcons

Wouldn’t be surprised if Falcons came in giving him a pathway to starting 10, shame as he should a lot of promise v the Black Lions but never got game time outside that.

He isn’t what I call a starter though so if Falcons is giving him that pathway I can understand why he would want to take it.

Guessing we have a 10 lined up with him and Meredith gone
This leaves us with just Pollard as an out and out 10 so there must be somebody coming in now