LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm A lot of forwards imo are in their last contact now, too many players who don’t bring impact or have lost their old impact.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cull at the end of next season. Particularly around the backrow as we look to refine what we need with the next generation coming through. We have seen Carnduff already, hopefully Ilione completes the step up alongside Josh Manz and Chessum Jnr. That would give us some depth so we could redistribute some of the funds.

Dan Cole and Ben Youngs are proper club heroes but we do need some succession planning. Particularly at 9.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sapajo »

The 9 succession is currently JVP and Whiteley and the latter is a 4th choice 9 at his very best
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 pm The 9 succession is currently JVP and Whiteley and the latter is a 4th choice 9 at his very best
I actually really like the look of young Ollie Allan and think he can make an impact next season.

(Edit: IF given the chance)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:42 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 pm The 9 succession is currently JVP and Whiteley and the latter is a 4th choice 9 at his very best
I actually really like the look of young Ollie Allan and think he can make an impact next season.

I think Simmonds was a brilliant scrum half prior to injury and that put pay to him playing 9 again. For me he is a far better 9 than winger and he should be reinstated he is in a different league to Whiteley
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I tell you what Tigers comms team better have some good announcements to give us this week...

I for one am un dire need of good news...
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 pm I tell you what Tigers comms team better have some good announcements to give us this week...

Such as?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:48 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 pm I tell you what Tigers comms team better have some good announcements to give us this week...

Such as?
1 announcing an attack coach

2 announcing a centre

Hopefully some other decent signings...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 pm

I desperately hope so
so you want to keep him then :smt003

Silly me no I do not :smt003
I texted my family and said if he is selected again im giving up my season ticket.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm A lot of forwards imo are in their last contact now, too many players who don’t bring impact or have lost their old impact.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if there's a cull at the end of next season. Particularly around the backrow as we look to refine what we need with the next generation coming through. We have seen Carnduff already, hopefully Ilione completes the step up alongside Josh Manz and Chessum Jnr. That would give us some depth so we could redistribute some of the funds.

Dan Cole and Ben Youngs are proper club heroes but we do need some succession planning. Particularly at 9.
Agreed. I'm a huge, huge fan of players like Wells and Clare, but they don't seem at a high enough level any more.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:46 pm

I think Simmonds was a brilliant scrum half prior to injury and that put pay to him playing 9 again. For me he is a far better 9 than winger and he should be reinstated he is in a different league to Whiteley
Problem for me is that a sucession of coaches have not rated him at scrum half.

Pre pandemic was the last time he played there for Tigers, over 4 years ago now. After the pandemic in the covid affected season he went out on loan to Jersey supposedly as a 9, but other than a preseason game for Jersey he barely played there mostly appearing on the wing or fullback.

Last season during preseason he was heavily photographed at 9, but injured in preseason and not seen him there once since.

Scrum half is a technical position that needs practice there.

Has one of his past injuries made scrum half difficult for him to play? Or have multiple coaches not rated him there?

The ONLY way I see him coming back as a 9 is if this injury allows him to REALLY work on that side of his play.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:24 am
sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:46 pm

Problem for me is that a sucession of coaches have not rated him at scrum half.

Pre pandemic was the last time he played there for Tigers, over 4 years ago now. After the pandemic in the covid affected season he went out on loan to Jersey supposedly as a 9, but other than a preseason game for Jersey he barely played there mostly appearing on the wing or fullback.

Last season during preseason he was heavily photographed at 9, but injured in preseason and not seen him there once since.

Scrum half is a technical position that needs practice there.

Has one of his past injuries made scrum half difficult for him to play? Or have multiple coaches not rated him there?

The ONLY way I see him coming back as a 9 is if this injury allows him to REALLY work on that side of his play.
He joined the academy as a fullback and Tigers converted him. He's got pace and a step, is comfortable collecting and chasing kicks. Add to that the all round skills he gained from playing 9 for a few years and it makes him a handy winger.

I don't think he had the kicking and game management skills for 9 which would have meant he was only ever likely to play there as bench impact which would limit his opportunities.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 pm

so you want to keep him then :smt003

I texted my family and said if he is selected again im giving up my season ticket.
Wasn’t Whiteley decent in earlier games ? Seems like he’s copping the flack for a collective effort ?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 pm

Agreed. I'm a huge, huge fan of players like Wells and Clare, but they don't seem at a high enough level any more.
Two of the players I'd keep and let succession gradually do it's thing. Clare won't be expensive but he's a solid set piece hooker. Wells has had an off season but is tough and you know he'll put it all on the line. Let the young guns slowly push them down the pecking order.

The cull I was thinking of would be more in the backrow where Rogerson, Hatherall and Cracknell could swiftly be fighting for one spot as the youngsters start to come through and we maybe look at carrying less depth and turn two squad players into one more expensive but better player, plus increases for the youngsters.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:37 am
LE18 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 pm

Wasn’t Whiteley decent in earlier games ? Seems like he’s copping the flack for a collective effort ?
He's been average to date. His commitment in defence is his main plus point. The choice and execution of the box kick at the end was very poor and unnecessary. He's copping the flack for people's frustrations but it is sort of his own doing.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

He has made some bad decisions but is playing the head coaches game plan. This season started fairly badly and is going down hill, feels a little unfair to focus on him when as a team we are not the sum of our parts - in my opinion.