LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by westwinds31 »

In terms of young players coming through, there's attitude where you're supremely confident in your own ability and driven to get to the top and that manifests itself in many ways, work rate, leadership, ability etc - then there's misplaced attitude, where you think you should be playing at a higher level than you actually are and it shows in other ways, where you're a complete pain in the backside, to the opposition and to your team mates, whether that be at your club or when on loan. I'm not naming names, but others have called out at least one example, that I've also heard (but not witnessed I hasten to add). There's a couple of things here, firstly if you are driven and feel the need to shout about it, you've got to be prepared to take it back - the lower leagues are unforgiving and are full of players who were in that situation, for one reason or another didn't make it and are now getting paid peanuts whilst holding a full-time job down. Ben Earl is a classic case here, backed up if you listen to George Kruis talking about him on Dallaglio's podcast. His attitude stunk in the early days at Sarries and his age grade experience for England I've heard that he wasn't exactly the most popular player in the squad, shall we say. But senior players at Saracens obviously got hold of him, told him how to conduct himself and look at him now, he's showing how good he is on the pitch. It's part of growing up I guess, when you're in that Academy environment from a young age. Ok, there's the over-celebrating but he reached a crossroads I believe where he could have gone either way. Bottom line being, clubs/coaches don't want players who perhaps think they're better than they actually are.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RunTigerRun »

I know perhaps not what we are looking for but Craig Newby and Dave Ewers area of those rumoured to be leaving Ulster at the end of the season.

Newby has been working as skills coach and could be a new fit to the coaches and Ewers is a big 6 that might fit for a season or 2 as Carnduff and Beets develop?

I’m not advocating we sign them or that they’d be the right fit - but imo the sort of profiles we may be looking at who’s available.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Quins have let go of Matson, reading the statement he's basically on gardening leave from the men's side of things till the end of the season and is just focusing on the women's development for the remainder of the season...

https://twitter.com/Harlequins/status/1 ... 4D0jA&s=19

They have a very attractive attack and Matson has been an attack coach in his past too, wonder if the reason for the immediate seperation from the mens side is due to his next role being with a competitor
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:38 pm Quins have let go of Matson, reading the statement he's basically on gardening leave from the men's side of things till the end of the season and is just focusing on the women's development for the remainder of the season...

They have a very attractive attack and Matson has been an attack coach in his past too, wonder if the reason for the immediate seperation from the mens side is due to his next role being with a competitor
Matson and Flannery both gone
Terracetiger4
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Terracetiger4 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:38 pm Quins have let go of Matson, reading the statement he's basically on gardening leave from the men's side of things till the end of the season and is just focusing on the women's development for the remainder of the season...

Would lead to what Adam Whitty said last week on radio Leicester that’s he understands their might be some movement this week on the attack coach situation.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:51 pm

Matson was in the top job and Quins haven't improved under him. Attack does look nice but Nick Evans is mainly tasked with that.

Flannery isn't one they wanted to lose but the draw of coaching the Boks was to great to turn down it seems. They've apparently approached Sinfield about filling the defence role for next season.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:00 pm

Matson was in the top job and Quins haven't improved under him. Attack does look nice but Nick Evans is mainly tasked with that.

Flannery isn't one they wanted to lose but the draw of coaching the Boks was to great to turn down it seems. They've apparently approached Sinfield about filling the defence role for next season.
Based on last week Jordan Turner-Hall may not be in the role for long
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:00 pm

He was in the top job but that’s now Danny Wilson. Director of performance and development sounds like one of this hybrid roles and a move to attack coach may be a horizontal move
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

People saying about Harry Wells, I wonder if Cam Jordan ever returns to the club. He played well against us the last two weeks.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm People saying about Harry Wells, I wonder if Cam Jordan ever returns to the club. He played well against us the last two weeks.
It’s something I’ve mentioned. Don’t know the reason for his departure it may just be pie in the sky
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Much talk about 4th placed lock, perhaps Beets has been allocated some time there.

Regarding L. Chessum, he’s clearly the class clown type which I’ve seen in person but also on club social media etc. it’s for the coaches to work out if he’s an energy giver or energy taker.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

anz3001 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm Much talk about 4th placed lock, perhaps Beets has been allocated some time there.
At 6ft2 he'd be short and at less than 17 stone (although at his age he's likely to fill out) he'd be light for lock.

Surely the point is we'd like to upgrade Rogerson and Carter into a better lock/6 who offers another strong call carrying option. Use the development players to cover the depth we lose.

I'm not sure Cam Jordan is an upgrade on Wells. If we were looking at a Glaws player then Freddie Clark would be a good option for a couple of years. He carries well and is comfortable at lock, 6 and 8.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I thought I’d read that he’d already played a bit at lock but could easily be wrong and in any case not at Prem level obviously.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

I reckon Archie van der Flier could cover lock in a pinch. 6'4 and 120kg, obviously normally a loosehead...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Like even immediately after releasing 3 locks mid season (Williams, Carter & Carmichael), having 3 senior locks injured (Martin, O.Chessum & Henderson) and one Academy lock injured (L.Chessum). We currently have the following fit options at lock (only taking people who gave played there in the prem/super rugby/top 14)

Wells
Hatherall
Carnduff
Liebenberg (last started lock 18/19 season pre joining Tigers )

Outside that we have two genuine lock options in the development squad yet to make their prem debuts.
T.Manz - yet to play in the prem but wouldn't be overly concerned with him on the bench
O.Thomas - started lock for Wales U20's.

Let's not worry about who can cover there that's not played there...(FYI I think Miell has played every position 1-8) lets let the young lads develop in their own position and ensure we have the squad depth right for next season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.