LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:37 am Koroiyadi, Cusick and Edwards are off I’m hearing, along with Dolly.
Edwards & potentially Cusick will come back to bite us on the backside.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:46 am With Kelly I think people are writing him off too soon...

For me I think our starting 12/13 next season will probably be Kelly & Perese with Kata changing games against tired shoulders...

Kelly had a tough start to the season, since then he's been slowly rediscovering some form, till last week against Gloucester where he looked poor...

It's when you see it confirmed he's been given this week off, not because he'd been dropped but rather that he played 80min last week with a bug - I expect had Kata not got injured that Cokanasiga would have replaced Kelly rather than Kata.

I think we'll see how he is towards the end of the season, but IMO he has a greater ceiling than Kata in terms of capability so I want to see him back in the mix.
Ditto. Also, if Kelly does go my 7 year old will be distraught as Dan is his favourite player.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:52 am
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:37 am Koroiyadi, Cusick and Edwards are off I’m hearing, along with Dolly.
Dolly is an odd one - should be 2nd choice but I guess the club see Clare as a cheaper option and that FTT will come through to challenge Montoya in the next 18 months or so
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Whatever did happen to the rumours of us bringing in Spink?
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:18 pm Whatever did happen to the rumours of us bringing in Spink?
Think he’s signed for Sarries.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:18 pm Whatever did happen to the rumours of us bringing in Spink?
Going to Sarries apparently
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Koroiyadi is an odd one too as I’m sure he looked good in the game vs Bedford. Edwards and Cusick also confuse me a little as both have looked good when given the chance and could develop nicely, we don’t have a lot of other youth coming through in those positions either…

Dolly I fear his injuries have almost signed his fate here. I think he’d be a great fit for a McKellar attack but his injury history is just a little patchy. Shame as I think Montoya, Dolly then FTT and Vanes is a good age crop to work through. I like Clare and think he’s been great for us, but he hasn’t got much of a point of difference. If Dolly goes I can see him going to Sale to replace Creevy.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Dolly is a shame but we have 3 young hookers, him Vanes & Theobald-Thomas... Dolly is the one who has played about twice in 2 years.

Koroiyadi, it's tough we have a lot of talent in the back row in the Senior Academy, with him, Josh Manz, Carnduff and Ilione, probably need to back one...

Edwards, yes losing him is a shame but Allan when fit has impressed.

Cusick is a disappointment but Woodward is a special talent, but if Cokanasiga is leaving you think there's chances for them both
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Obviously we can't keep everybody but there is something wrong with a system that cannot provide a game of decent standard rugby for 19/20 year-olds they have to.make the leap from from Under 20's or Academy rugby to the Premiership in one go. I am also not in favour of signing foreign players that are no better than what we already have, give our youth a chance to develop and when they are good enough play them if they are not good enough release them, don't gamble on an imported player that you are then stuck with it he does not measure up to expectations.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

The club have difficult decisions to make with both the salary cap and reducing numbers and sometimes you let a player go that you would sooner keep. Like Dolly but do we want to be blocking Vanes and Theobald-Thomas progress .
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Dolly cap wise we haven't missed him this season, FTT and Vanes with another season under their belts should step up fine. Shame but it is what it is. Clare is a solid cheap hooker who seems very reliable from a injury POV. Dolly will be on a good wedge of cap after his last contract renewal.
Koroyardi interesting potential, Josh Manz looked fantastic in the Prem cup, Carnduff looks special and hopefully Ilione can make a mark. Beets coming in prob the nail in his coffin
Edwards is unlucky him and Whiteley are prob 50/50 cap POV would've made more sense with Edwards really
Cusick disappointing BUT I do think Woodward and Myall are our future at centre and I don't know which centre I would drop for him in the seniors?

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:57 pm Obviously we can't keep everybody but there is something wrong with a system that cannot provide a game of decent standard rugby for 19/20 year-olds they have to.make the leap from from Under 20's or Academy rugby to the Premiership in one go. I am also not in favour of signing foreign players that are no better than what we already have, give our youth a chance to develop and when they are good enough play them if they are not good enough release them, don't gamble on an imported player that you are then stuck with it he does not measure up to expectations.

Ok which players is that the case with ATM?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The hope I guess if Cokanasiga and Cusick are off would be that the rumoured second centre coming in isn't for Porter.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Sounds like the cap is only going up a season then back down potentially.

If so it does make you wonder if this player limit will actually come in.
Last edited by RagingBull on Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Feel very sorry for Dolly - he’s shown real Tigers’ attitude when he has played.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I’d be sad to see Dolly go. Obviously, his most recent injury has been a massive blow but don’t remember him being particularly fragile prior. He’s also excellent around the park.