LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Tiglon »

PAW2 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:43 am https://westernforce.rugby/news/force-c ... ly-2024418

Nic Dolly officially confirmed (again) to Western Force. As he joins Carter and Potter back in bis homeland.
Sounds like a good move for Nic. Sorry to see him go, but going home to a place with familiar faces around him, must be appealing.
Not exactly home, I think he is from Sydney, which is a similar distance from Perth as Leicester is from Aleppo...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RagingBull »

Just spit balling but if Sharks paid 500K to get Andre from Quins would they pay similar to get Pollard? Espcially given Bosch is really not setting the world alight at 10 for them.

and if so should we take it?
IDK but like if Dmack is being approach by Leinster for post Jordie Barrett I would feel Pollard salary would be good enough for any 10 including Mackenzie. Would he be the right fit?
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:18 pm Just spit balling but if Sharks paid 500K to get Andre from Quins would they pay similar to get Pollard? Espcially given Bosch is really not setting the world alight at 10 for them.

IDK but like if Dmack is being approach by Leinster for post Jordie Barrett I would feel Pollard salary would be good enough for any 10 including Mackenzie. Would he be the right fit?
Biggest factor for me is how McKellar wants the squad to play. If it’s ‘traditional Tigers’ with big gnarly pack, good kicking game and clinical in attack then Pollard is the right man. We just need the others around and the right backs moves to strike - plus the right forwards to play that way.

If he wants a more open game with running options, playing at pace and more of a running threat at 10, then Pollard could be good (he started out as a more running 10 with the Bulls and at the end of last season showed he still had that in his locker), but do we need someone who’s here all season round? If so someone like McKenzie wouldn’t be in AB frame were he to play in the UK. Pellegrini would be a cheaper option probably in the middle of the two mentioned, but with much less top game experience.

I feel like the game plan is too muddied at the moment with no attack coach and players are almost hopping between 2 plans mid game. Why we seem to play some decent attack, and then decent to kick it away at random moments.

Idk - just my thoughts - but get the game plan right and make sure the players are the right fit for that.

I can almost see Pollard going back to the Bulls too rather than the Sharks. Goosen isn’t getting younger and Chris Smith isn’t going to take Jake Whites men to the top of Europe and winning the URC. I can see Pollard going home there more than the Sharks - personally. Though not disputing the Sharks’ wallet…!!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

I have no idea if we are even looking at 10 options and if Pollard would leave (and I hope he doesn’t as I think he could have a good legacy here when we get the game plan right), but should he decide to, here are some the I think we might be smart to look at for different reasons around the world: (whether they are available and would come is another matter)

- Damian McKenzie (Chiefs) - say no more
- Harry Plummer (Blues) - solid operator, good kicking game and passing game, can play 12 very comfortably to offer that 2nd distributor
- Stephen Perofeta (Blues) - more attacking than Plummer, and can play in the back 3 at 15. Probably more in the Shillcock mould but NZ.
- Tiaan Falcon (formerly of the Chiefs now plays in Japan) - always looked a strong, smart operator, wouldn’t cost the bank having been playing in Japan and could be tempted to try a different league?
- Boeta Chamberlain (Sharks) - good kicking game and a massive boot
- Jurrie Matthie (Stormers) - was very impressed with him in the game vs Stormers at WR. Composed, good kicking and passing game.
- Joe Simmonds (Pau) - playing well in France might be tempted to come back to England? (Esp if we are interested in Sam)
- Sam Costelow (Scarlets) - good attacking 10 and decent kicking game, ex academy could he be tempted home with the Scarlets in disarray?
- Ross Byrne (Leinster) - with his brother and Sam Prendergast and others could he be tempted to now abroad for game time and the starting shirt?
- Jacob Umaga (Benetton) - similar to Costelow, chance to come back to the UK?
- Patrick Pellegrini (Coventry) - Tonga test player, good attack and footwork, nice short kicking game - would he have aspirations to play at the top level?
- Jeronimo Portela (Portugal) - had nice touches at the World Cup and could be tempted to a big club?
- Fernandez (Chile) - same as Portela?
- Will Hayden-Wood (Exeter) - highly rated at Newcastle and then at Wasps, does he want to be sat behind Skinner at chiefs?
- are the Notts 10s worth bringing in in the prem cup to see if they could make the step up?

Do we give Kieran Wilkinson a proper shot? - played England U20s, played in the Premiership for Sale and looked pretty good whilst not a stand out in the prem cup.

Do we throw our trust in Meredith? Ford and others have done it before, do we back Meredith and see what he’s got?

For me Shillcock is a 15 who can play 10, but do the coaches see different?

I’m no coach, nor am I a scout. But there are 10s out there with varying budgets and styles. We just need a clear direction and then pick and player / players and back them.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/fissler- ... ut-to-bed/

Fissler saying Kelly is maybe in "advanced" talks with Munster
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Again interesting to note his language
"Some sources believe the Leicester Tigers man is in advanced talks with the Irish Province"

IDK maybe i'm being too hopeful but the fact he used 150 words to dismiss a rumour that no one outside of him had heard in terms of Itoje going to play sevens (which is honestly the most made up rumour in the history of rumours) I really do get the feeling he's just having to write as much filler as possible.

Just going through that list
Itoje = Made rumour by himself
Slade = ironing out some more stuff in his contract (Something slade has said himself)
McHenry = A player in the pro D2 who played for Jersey
Gloucester looking to sign a injury replacement for Jordan but no names mentioned
Litterick to Cardiff who was already announced a day ago
Then some more old news and Pro D2 news
Then after all that you get the kelly bit at the end.

IDK we will see, but I just feel Fissler is running on empty with the rumours and struggling to fulfil the Rugbypass demands
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:01 pm
- are the Notts 10s worth bringing in in the prem cup to see if they could make the step up?
:smt005
Which 10’s would they be?! For about a quarter of this season we had one 10, and he was on loan from Northampton. We had to play our scrum half at 10 (I should add some scrum halves do play 10, however Strongey is not one of them) one game as we didn’t have a fly half at all! One of them bust his arm against Ampthill in February, he came back a few weeks ago and went off yesterday again holding the same arm. God only knows what’s happened to the other one as he hasn’t been seen all season.
We haven’t got any 10’s ourselves so that’s an honestly extremely bad idea.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I know I'm probably alone in feeling this way but after the Derby defeat, that's season over for me as I cannot see us getting into the playoffs, I'd prioritise some of the younger lads in team selection, honestly I'd also rather be in the challenge cup and have a chance of winning it next season that inevitably play Leinster for the 4000th time.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:18 pm Just spit balling but if Sharks paid 500K to get Andre from Quins would they pay similar to get Pollard? Espcially given Bosch is really not setting the world alight at 10 for them.

I should add I only mentioned this because on reddit their was a post asking if bulls fans could start a gofundme to bring him back lol
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I always think on the big players you want them settled down. So on Pollard (presuming his contract finishes 2025) as soon as the season finishes I'd have two offers for him.

1) A contract extension for a further two seasons (to end in 2027) on good terms.
2) A transfer to a SA franchise.

Basically we either focus on a build around you for three seasons or we move forward now. I'd be up for him staying, his poor form at the moment is a symptom of our disfunction not a cause. But we don't want another season dominated by a transfer saga over a big player.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:30 am I always think on the big players you want them settled down. So on Pollard (presuming his contract finishes 2025) as soon as the season finishes I'd have two offers for him.

1) A contract extension for a further two seasons (to end in 2027) on good terms.
2) A transfer to a SA franchise.

Basically we either focus on a build around you for three seasons or we move forward now. I'd be up for him staying, his poor form at the moment is a symptom of our disfunction not a cause. But we don't want another season dominated by a transfer saga over a big player.
Agree with this. Would also extend Montoya’s contract as he is truly world class
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I do wonder long term if we look to bring Cam Jordan back. Maybe a long term replacement for Wells or perhaps if Henderson moved up north. Last 2 games against Gloucester thought he did really well against us. Showed some good physicality.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:09 pm I do wonder long term if we look to bring Cam Jordan back. Maybe a long term replacement for Wells or perhaps if Henderson moved up north. Last 2 games against Gloucester thought he did really well against us. Showed some good physicality.
Agree he played well against us but he’s had a serious injury to his acl and is out for “sometime “.
Hehehehehehehehe
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:09 pm I do wonder long term if we look to bring Cam Jordan back. Maybe a long term replacement for Wells or perhaps if Henderson moved up north. Last 2 games against Gloucester thought he did really well against us. Showed some good physicality.
Henderson just signed a new contract. Don’t think we need another lock with Chessum x2, Martin and Henderson .
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:26 pm
Henderson just signed a new contract. Don’t think we need another lock with Chessum x2, Martin and Henderson .
I didn’t mean for next season I meant 25/26 or later when we’ll probably see some movement.

I hope L Chessum is back next season. Expecting big things and hoping for a break out season. He’s the same age as CCS and both were the only U20 players who looked physically ready for the premiership.