LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Tiglon »

I was expecting to see more of Whitcombe this year, but when he has come on he really hasn't impressed. He seems to struggle in the scrum and doesn't add much in the loose.

If he wants more game time he needs to start taking his chances when he gets them.

I'd actually say Cronin has been good in recent weeks. The handling errors of earlier in the year have gone and he's made a lot of good contributions - with ball in hand, at the breakdown, and the scrum looks stronger with him on the pitch.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RagingBull »

I struggle to see what games you have really watched him in? He comfortable been a better scrummager than Van Wyk IMO, and he's a better carrier than Cronin.
IMO he's one of the few front rowers that seem to be a decent trucking carrier.
PeteK
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PeteK »

TTRITH wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:50 am
LekkerTigers wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:53 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:57 pm
Them bringing in Smith at loosehead is a clear sign that the scrum is not good enough at the moment.

I’ve been really disappointed with Whitcombe’s development - I thought he would have improve a lot more.
He’s barely been used this season. Thrown on against Newcastle with the scrum down a player or two (can’t remember which order we got the yellow cards at the end). For me, he’s a much better scrummager than Cronin has been this past season.
Evidently, McKellar doesn't rate him.

He'll get less game time next season behind Smith and Cronin, who has been very disappointing this season.

Whitcombe will be another academy graduate out to pasture next season, and I think will come to bite us on the backside.

He is one, along with Ilione, who has been woefully underused this season, and who's lack of selection actually annoys me.
Dont think you can comment on Ilione as hes had his medical exams this year to contended with so how much has he been available for to be able to be selected, no point picking unless he can get a string of games and the fixture list hasn't really helped on that.
Whitcombe i sort of agree on i thought he would be pushing harder but dont really see it either, love to be proved wrong. When Genge was here he was coming through behind nicely but its stalled?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:12 am I struggle to see what games you have really watched him in? He comfortable been a better scrummager than Van Wyk IMO, and he's a better carrier than Cronin.
He's made 15 appearances this season...

Van Wyk's scrummaging is hardly a high bar, and I've seen nothing from Whitcombe in carrying other than I to contact and straight ground which is on a par with Cronin/Cole and the rest.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:32 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:12 am I struggle to see what games you have really watched him in? He comfortable been a better scrummager than Van Wyk IMO, and he's a better carrier than Cronin.

Van Wyk's scrummaging is hardly a high bar, and I've seen nothing from Whitcombe in carrying other than I to contact and straight ground which is on a par with Cronin/Cole and the rest.

Yet he has 3 times the games minutes

He has 15 appearances but only 386 minutes.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:38 am

I'm not sure if you're mistaking me for Mr McKellar, but I didn't pick him. You'll need to take that up with Dan...

Personally I would have given Whitcombe more, but at the same time when he has had opportunities I don't think he's really shown enough to push his case and force his way in.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:41 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:38 am

I'm not sure if you're mistaking me for Mr McKellar, but I didn't pick him. You'll need to take that up with Dan...

Personally I would have given Whitcombe more, but at the same time when he has had opportunities I don't think he's really shown enough to push his case and force his way in.
I’m just merely countering that whilst you think Whitcombe hasn’t taken his chances, I feel that a worse player has been given a lot more chances than him. It’s hard to prove yourself when you can’t build form.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Whitcombe generally impresses me when he gets chances. I think he's the best carrier amongst our props. When Montoya is genuinely the only notable carrier in the front row, it's something we should be utilising more.

I'm hoping we see Whitcombe and FTT on the bench for the final couple of rounds. FTT is such a dynamic hooker, good at the breakdown and hits hard in the tackle. Whilst Whitcombe has the bulk to get over the gain line off 9. Bring them on with simple instructions. "Carry as many times off 9 in 20 minutes as you can James". "Make as many tackles in 20 minutes as you can Finn". Clearly defined roles that could add some impetus in the final quarter where we have currently so poor.

Our bench has frequently lacked impact for most the season.
Bouncyben

Post by Bouncyben »

A lot of people here seem to have extremely rose tinted glasses. All because someone is young and in the academy doesn’t mean that 1) they will want to stay at Leicester for their entire careers, 2) are automatically better than the players we have currently playing in that position, 3) will automatically succeed and improve because they simply “get game time”.

The coaches see these players on a day to day basis and know their strengths better than we as supporters ever will. Claiming some 18 year old should get first team reps over more established players
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Well he's starting against Georgia
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

MCC1964 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:37 pm Well he's starting against Georgia
Fear I’ve kicked a hornets nest with my Whitcombe comment! I would like to see how he goes in a first choice front row, then we can make a more informed comment.

Hope he goes well on Friday.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Tigers86asw wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:15 pm
Fear I’ve kicked a hornets nest with my Whitcombe comment! I would like to see how he goes in a first choice front row, then we can make a more informed comment.

It's a fair comment. Our LH props have all had decent (if unspectacular) patches this season but none of them have cemented the #1 jersey the way their predecessors did.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:12 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:15 pm

It's a fair comment. Our LH props have all had decent (if unspectacular) patches this season but none of them have cemented the #1 jersey the way their predecessors did.
I agree about Whitcombe. Granted he should’ve had more chances over FVW. But whenever he’s played he’s been solid but nothing spectacular. He’s hardly put in performances which have meant he should be being picked every week. At the moment he’s looking like he could be Balmain esque. Solid premiership squad player but nothing more.

Cronin has been decent and probably slightly underrated by most fans. Think he’ll be better next season being more of a bench player.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

If we're looking to increase our frontrow stocks on a budget then Argentina U20's might be worth a look, they played Australia in horrific conditions yesterday and some of their props looked like units
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I’m surprised we’ve not used Montoya’s expertise, knowledge and persuasive powers to encourage the odd promising young Argentine prop over lured by a few quid and an opportunity to improve their game against top opposition.
If only we could find the new Marcos Ayerza …. Now that was a LH who commanded his starting position for ever … but then a again he was one of the greatest Looseheads ever and one of the greatest Tigers ever and possibly my favourite Tiger ever!
Gallo would be nice … not Marcos exactly.. but very handy all the same .. and still young!!