LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by ABClub »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 pm Freddie is pretty much the best player on the planet under the high ball. Why would you negate that by putting him in the centres. The boy should play FB every week, because he's a superb full back

because no one kicks near him?

Its about what makes us the best attacking side possible for me, that could mean Freddie in the centres, on the wing or at 15, that's for the new attack coach to work out
I keep banging on with that point, but, yes yes yes. It's unavoidably an easy way to negate someone being that good in the air. Just don't kick the ball his way.

There is some worth in that still. If you're playing a team that usually kicks to compete and they kick longer, then Freddie's excellence under the high ball has changed their tactics. Realistically though, good teams have more than one kicking strategy in their locker anyway. So it shouldn't force them to adopt something alien. Whilst many excellent teams largely kick long these days anyway. Look to drag the back field out of position, then get a net gain when a weaker kicker has to put it out.

If someone's brilliant at getting over the gain line like Jasper, then he can carry lots every game. That's an option every time his team has the ball. Same with a jackal like Tommy being able to target lots of breakdowns. It's valuable every defensive set. A tackler like Martin being able to smash stuff. Always useful. A SH such as JvP being able to kick the ball further than many SHs. Etc etc. These players can utilise those standout skills lots of times every game. If the opposition just decide to not put high balls on Freddie for 80 minutes, then Tigers can't box kick it backwards to him just to show it off.

That's a gigantic issue if a players skillset is so weighted towards that skill. There's a reason that Warburton was basically laughing at Wales kicking to contest on Freddie so much during the Six Nations. Better teams have figured out not to.

Plus, final bit of my diatribe, you can still use his high ball work as a centre. Just use it proactively as a chaser, rather than reactively by waiting for box kicks that good sides increasingly wont hang on him as he's so good under them. If anything centre is a better position to chase from, as him chasing doesn't then mean your FB isn't in the back field for the next phase.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I must have missed it but Mullins and Goode suggesting an attack coach has been appointed for next season.

Leftfield but has anyone seen Joe Ford’s name thrown about?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 pm I must have missed it but Mullins and Goode suggesting an attack coach has been appointed for next season.

McKeller all but confirmed it was the ex-Brumbies chap previously mentioned on the RL tigers pod.

It'll be a better judgement next season but I am starting to wonder if we should let Handre leave when his deal is up and bring in a more creative 10, especially for the money he will be getting he is far too limited in that respect.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

It's been reported by the Telegraph as already sorted. Peter Hewat. A really good appointment to be fair. I've largely been negative recently but Hewat took a Brumbies attack that was diabolically bad after Jake White's efforts and turned them into an attacking force. He's also won two Top League titles as a backs coach and has head coach experience. Whilst he knows the Prem from his time at LI as a player.

No offence to him, but if our solution to this years back play had been Joe Ford after a few seasons coaching at Donny then I might've thrown up.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

is it too late to rescind the contract for next season for Whiteley?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Unless Tigers have made substantial recruitments in the pack next season I'm not sure a new attack coach will make much difference because they will never have the ball.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

ABClub wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 pm It's been reported by the Telegraph as already sorted. Peter Hewat. A really good appointment to be fair. I've largely been negative recently but Hewat took a Brumbies attack that was diabolically bad after Jake White's efforts and turned them into an attacking force. He's also won two Top League titles as a backs coach and has head coach experience. Whilst he knows the Prem from his time at LI as a player.

No offence to him, but if our solution to this years back play had been Joe Ford after a few seasons coaching at Donny then I might've thrown up.
It’s where my expectations are currently!

Glad it’s someone with a proven track record 👍
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 pm is it too late to rescind the contract for next season for Whiteley?
I desperately hope not
Last edited by sapajo on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 pm is it too late to rescind the contract for next season for Whiteley?
I desperately hope so
so you want to keep him then :smt003
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I thought Dan Palmer came highly rated but he massively needs to sort the scrum out for next season. It’s so inconsistent and the replacement front row always seem to leak penalties regardless of who comes on.

Hope we get a new S&C coach too. The longer matches go on for the more our levels drop off.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 pm
I desperately hope so
so you want to keep him then :smt003

Silly me no I do not :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:14 pm I thought Dan Palmer came highly rated but he massively needs to sort the scrum out for next season. It’s so inconsistent and the replacement front row always seem to leak penalties regardless of who comes on.

Hope we get a new S&C coach too. The longer matches go on for the more our levels drop off.

FVW was terrible at the scrum prior to this season. We haven’t been standouts since Genge left with Leatigaga
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 pm I must have missed it but Mullins and Goode suggesting an attack coach has been appointed for next season.

Joe Ford does coaching session for our masterclass courses for kids been about it
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Next season we really need to be planning Cole and Youngs replacements

Youngs especially, as we need a proper back up to JVP now.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

A lot of forwards imo are in their last contact now, too many players who don’t bring impact or have lost their old impact.