LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just throwing this out there with no basis in fact but could Manu Vunipola be looking for a new challenge with his cousins on the move too
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:04 pm Kieran Wilkinson leaves to join Falcons

Wouldn’t be surprised if Falcons came in giving him a pathway to starting 10, shame as he should a lot of promise v the Black Lions but never got game time outside that.

He isn’t what I call a starter though so if Falcons is giving him that pathway I can understand why he would want to take it.

Guessing we have a 10 lined up with him and Meredith gone
They've got Brett Connon as their first choice but then have Josh Thomas now as the other option & I'd bet they don't rate him. Wilkinson got his Sale debut in Diamond's last year too I think so he might particularly rate him.

Given Pollard will, likely, be at the Rugby Championship for Rounds 1,2,3 next season we certainly need some more cover at 10. What if Shillcock got a rogue red card in the first game of the season for an unlucky head clash!
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

We must have someone lined up surely
A2O
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Even with Shillcock as a covering 10 I still would hope for another prem quality backup 10 to be signed. Someone of Wilkinson’s quality/potential to replace. As others say with him and Meredith going and no obvious other candidate in the development squad we are lacking in 10s.

Say Pollard got injured in the Rugby Championship and Shillcock got a knock, who plays 10?

Shame for Wilkinson. He had potential but was never given any opportunities. Felt that when Atkinson left Wilkinson would then be given a few games to show what he could do but never got that shot. Good luck to him at Falcons.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Any bears players that look good?
Callum Sheedy (164 apps) – Cardiff Rugby
Dan Thomas (144 apps)
Piers O’Conor (131 apps) – Connacht
Ed Holmes (102 apps)
Kyle Sinckler (59 apps) – RC Toulon
Magnus Bradbury (43 apps) – Edinburgh
Charlie Powell (17 apps)
Jono Benz-Salomon (14 apps)
Fred Davies (13 apps)
Jay Tyack (12 apps)
Harry Ascherl (9 apps)
Oscar Lennon (9 apps)
Aristot Benz-Salomon (3 apps)
Confirmed departing Academy players:

Macenzzie Duncan (9 apps)
Charlie Rice (6 apps)
Tom Sims (4 apps)
Matty Jones (3 apps)

Dan Thomas would be a great Tommy back up
Oscar Lennon looks good
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So we need a centre (outside) and a 10 at a minimum.

I know the talk is of Lozowski replacing Farrell, but maybe if they have a replacement lined up he could be a nice target.

This is me just wondering no factual basis at all...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Kinda hoping we might have Isaac Lucas lined up
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Some interesting comments from Mckellar today regarding our S & C and overall fitness. The rumour that I have heard on very good authority, is that we're binning off the Head of S & C, who we brought in last Summer to replace Aled. So wouldn't be surprised if there is an announcement soon.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

who was the other young 10 at Wasps with Atkinson, I remember he was highly rated, where has he ended up?
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

Dickens - gone
Richardson - gone

You wonder how much input Mckellar had in to these appointments and how much better things will be when he has people of his own choosing around.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

albany wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:47 pm Dickens - gone
Richardson - gone

You wonder how much input Mckellar had in to these appointments and how much better things will be when he has people of his own choosing around.
Richardson and Dickens were two of the appointments we made who didn't work with McKellar in the past.

Really hope if Ollie Richardson leaves that we'll go for a high quality S&C lead! Our style of play needs it
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
albany
Tiger Cub

Post by albany »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:27 pm Dan Thomas would be a great Tommy back up
Oscar Lennon looks good
Would rather keep the path clear for Ilione & Ollie Allan respectively, both look like they have higher ceilings than Thomas & Lennon.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:46 pm who was the other young 10 at Wasps with Atkinson, I remember he was highly rated, where has he ended up?
Do you mean Jacob Umaga? If so he is at Benetton
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I know that clubs are reducing squad sizes but we look really thin on the ground now so hope we still have one or two to announce coming in.
A2O
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

No idea if this is practical or possible, but with Jonathan Davies leaving Scarlets, I'd be tempted to have a look at him for us. We need a centre, especially at 13. Could be a pretty good option to bring in as back up to Perese and help bring young Charlie Myall on. We have lost several of our "golden oldies" in Nemani, Ashton, Gopperth etc, losing a hefty amount of rugby IQ with it, so I'd be keen to have someone with that level of experience come in.