LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:09 pm
ABClub wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:07 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:14 am

Smith seemed to hit his ceiling. He's was mobile and aggressive but didn't quite have the physicality his style demanded for Prem rugby.

Lavin could have been an excellent player for us but that horrific injury that kept him out so long seemed to do for him. He's been doing well at Uni level and Saints have used him as a guest player on a few occasions so there's obviously something still there.
Is that Kit Smith? I'd maybe agree. Academies tend to have lots of back row talent. From the same age group you had Tebbatt (briefly with Sale, now in Poland), Muncaster (Edinburgh) and Smith. Bobby Singer was playing lock but probably had the build for back row in senior rugby.

Ollie Smith v2 on the other hand. He looked a brilliant talent at a time when I watched the U18s regularly. That was maybe the most surprised I'd been at someone not getting a dev squad contract. He just stopped playing AFAIK. A shame.

As AW says, there will always ben what ifs. Whenever these discussions happen my mind still goes back to Ed Milne. His desire to study as well as play rugby probably wasn't as well catered for then as it might've been now. He had most the skills you want in a 6 or 8.
Thom Smith. Now at Coventry iirc.
Don’t think he’s with anyone atm
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by ABClub »

Thom had honestly slipped my mind entirely!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:09 pm Thom Smith was the one I had in mind he has had impressive showings for Doncaster but no one has signed him higher yet
He signed for Jersey in the summer and doesn't appear to be playing anywhere at the moment, which is a massive shame. The kind of solid player who should be able to build a career in the second tier and have a few seasons at his peak in the Prem later on.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I watched the second half of the Waratahs vs Chiefs game yesterday. Parese came on and was the Tahs best player. Direct, physical, quick. Excellent post contact meters, very hard tackler. I was really impressed.

Given we are losing 3 centres I was encouraged that the two we have left seem to be very good ones!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tigers86 I am encouraged by your comments, for some reason my tv did not record that match, I am still.hoping to pick it up.on a repeat showing. I have seen previous Waratahs matches and have not been excited by what I saw from Perese, he always looked ok but nothing special and did not play for 80 minutes. I look forward to seeing more from him. We are going to need at least one other centre either a signing or someone as yet unheralded from our Academy, frankly I hope for the Academy product.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:28 am Tigers86 I am encouraged by your comments, for some reason my tv did not record that match, I am still.hoping to pick it up.on a repeat showing. I have seen previous Waratahs matches and have not been excited by what I saw from Perese, he always looked ok but nothing special and did not play for 80 minutes. I look forward to seeing more from him. We are going to need at least one other centre either a signing or someone as yet unheralded from our Academy, frankly I hope for the Academy product.
It was the first time I watched him for more than a few minutes. He is a 13, definitely. Tigers need at least two more centres if Kelly leaves, one of those should be a playmaking 12 to allow us options that don’t involve moving Steward from his best position of 15.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:28 am Tigers86 I am encouraged by your comments, for some reason my tv did not record that match, I am still.hoping to pick it up.on a repeat showing. I have seen previous Waratahs matches and have not been excited by what I saw from Perese, he always looked ok but nothing special and did not play for 80 minutes. I look forward to seeing more from him. We are going to need at least one other centre either a signing or someone as yet unheralded from our Academy, frankly I hope for the Academy product.
It was the first time I watched him for more than a few minutes. He is a 13, definitely. Tigers need at least two more centres if Kelly leaves, one of those should be a playmaking 12 to allow us options that don’t involve moving Steward from his best position of 15.
Kelly leaving and Steward moving to centre are both without foundation. One is a groundless rumour and the other is a suggestion muted on here by people who have no coaching nous.
A2O
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:11 pm
Kelly leaving and Steward moving to centre are both without foundation. One is a groundless rumour and the other is a suggestion muted on here by people who have no coaching nous.
I’m not talking about steward to centre. I mean playing Shillcock at 15 and moving Steward to the wing to get in another playmaker.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

We have 4 good wingers in OHC, Watson, Bassett and Simmons who just need to be given the ball occasionally which hopefully our new backs coach will sort out.
A2O
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

2 page interview with Freddie in todays DT, he is very disappointed at losing England place and not happy with mooted discussions about playing centre. To me last week at Saints he looked unhappy at having to play on the wing and I think he has made his feelings known, hense his return to FB today.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Good interview with Mike Brown on RugbyPass: https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/rugbys-f ... ndividual/

He’s looking to play on past the end of his current contract and thinks that Tigers is a better fit for his personality!
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

As I mentioned on here before, Freddie to 12 was suggested and written about by Sam Warburton earlier on in the year. A move on a par with Jamie Roberts. Sam does have some coaching experience and has played and captained at the highest level so can speak with some authority. As I have no coaching nous, I (legitimately) can't comment personally. Speculate? possibly :smt004
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:18 pm

As I mentioned on here before, Freddie to 12 was suggested and written about by Sam Warburton earlier on in the year. A move on a par with Jamie Roberts. Sam does have some coaching experience and has played and captained at the highest level so can speak with some authority. As I have no coaching nous, I (legitimately) can't comment personally. Speculate? possibly :smt004
Roberts is a different situation, he converted after 5/6 International games, at the end of his first season of senior rugby. Similar age to Freddie, but much less experienced and established.

Warburton is paid to say interesting things that will cause others to comment, not necessarily to come up with genius ideas that will actually work out well. Same with all pundits, you have to take their "opinions" with a pinch of salt.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Freddie is pretty much the best player on the planet under the high ball. Why would you negate that by putting him in the centres. The boy should play FB every week, because he's a superb full back
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 pm Freddie is pretty much the best player on the planet under the high ball. Why would you negate that by putting him in the centres. The boy should play FB every week, because he's a superb full back
because no one kicks near him?

Its about what makes us the best attacking side possible for me, that could mean Freddie in the centres, on the wing or at 15, that's for the new attack coach to work out