LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:39 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:22 am
sk 88 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:16 am Let's put it this way. There are three states for a coach to be in:

1) Going so badly a change is needed immediately.
2) Going so well that you are actively trying to extend their contract.
3) Going middling, and nether looking to change nor extend.

McKeller has two years left on his initial contract. He's very solidly in camp 3) for me. Things are not going so well that I want us to commit longer at this stage. They are not going so badly we must change immediately.

He has to get a grip on his coaching staff as that excuse has worn totally through for me. I have no interest in any whinging and excuses over who is, or isn't, on his staff any more. He needs to make the best of it, that's literally his job.
Think this sums my thoughts too.

Not great, not bad. Excuses time running out.

Unless he turns it round and wins the league this season, just hold off any decisions on changing/extending till we see how next season goes.
Maybe i'm misreading this but I haven't seen him use any excuses on the whole.
He's mentioned it's not ideal the situation with coaches but that's hardly an excuse
Apologies I wasn't trying to suggest he was using excuses himself, more just saying next season is the one I want him to start delivering in.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
AViewFromLe2

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:13 am
ay2oh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:00 am Agree that we cannot judge McKellar until next season at the earliest when he has got a full coaching staff and some of his own signings. He has inherited this squad and will no doubt have 3 or 4 players that he wants to bring in once current contracts have expired.
I am somewhat bored with this argument as we have had it for every coach since Cockers. Coaches know what they are getting into when they sign their contracts they will never ever inherit anything but the status quo. At the end of the day its all about expectation and I believe you can judge a Head Coach at any stage otherwise you may as well just right off the first season of every new head coach.
Pep finished 3rd in his first season at Manchester City, he is now on course to have won the league in 6 of the last 7 seasons. Using some people's ideas or thoughts on here, he would have been gone after the first season.

Head Coaches / DoR's do need time to be able to implement ideas. As others have said, McKellar is probably around the middling mark, he's doing ok I think. If he nails top 4, then i think combined with getting out of the group of death and making a final that is an okish return for his first season given the disruption.

Next season he will be judged more sharply and I don't think that is unfair. I'm more intrigued to see who the new attack coach is going to be. Almost zero rumours at this stage.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:24 am Next season he will be judged more sharply and I don't think that is unfair. I'm more intrigued to see who the new attack coach is going to be. Almost zero rumours at this stage.
Almost is not quite Zero, I'm guessing though it's too thin to share publicly what you have heard then 😉
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Is it right to assume it isn’t Matt Smith otherwise they would have announced it
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It is entertaining to guess at possible new signings, particularly with regard to perceived weaknesses in our squad, sometimes I think on this board we create our own rumours and these are echoed by The Rugby Paper or Fisler and we believe they have information not realising that we ourselves are the source.
We do have a disadvantage in our guesswork as few of us have any idea of at what stage of develolment are many of our young players. In the recent past the inclusion of Senior Academy players in the match day squad did not impress but as players like Reffell, Steward, Martin, Chessum etc transitioned into established first teamers our opinions changed. This season with the possible exception of Vanes, Illeoni and recently Carnduff we have seen little of our young players but they may have been performing well for their loan clubs and could be ripe for.promotion. I.look forward to announcements of young players retained or moved up as much as I do to the reveal of new signings of star p!ayers.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Agree with JTG and derive as much enjoyment from watching a young player break through as a new player succeed.

It is fun to guess, many reasons why new signings have yet to be announced, including related to either club or the player.

Coach wise I would Mckellar would someone who brings plenty of experience in that role, preferably with international experience, and ideally someone he has worked with before. How long a list that is I have no idea
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:24 am
sapajo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:13 am
ay2oh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:00 am Agree that we cannot judge McKellar until next season at the earliest when he has got a full coaching staff and some of his own signings. He has inherited this squad and will no doubt have 3 or 4 players that he wants to bring in once current contracts have expired.
I am somewhat bored with this argument as we have had it for every coach since Cockers. Coaches know what they are getting into when they sign their contracts they will never ever inherit anything but the status quo. At the end of the day its all about expectation and I believe you can judge a Head Coach at any stage otherwise you may as well just right off the first season of every new head coach.
Pep finished 3rd in his first season at Manchester City, he is now on course to have won the league in 6 of the last 7 seasons. Using some people's ideas or thoughts on here, he would have been gone after the first season.

Head Coaches / DoR's do need time to be able to implement ideas. As others have said, McKellar is probably around the middling mark, he's doing ok I think. If he nails top 4, then i think combined with getting out of the group of death and making a final that is an okish return for his first season given the disruption.

Next season he will be judged more sharply and I don't think that is unfair. I'm more intrigued to see who the new attack coach is going to be. Almost zero rumours at this stage.
I'd be delighted with 3rd this season and shake DM by the hand, however if we finish 8th below 6th............
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:31 am
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:24 am Next season he will be judged more sharply and I don't think that is unfair. I'm more intrigued to see who the new attack coach is going to be. Almost zero rumours at this stage.
Almost is not quite Zero, I'm guessing though it's too thin to share publicly what you have heard then 😉
Really, the only rumours we have are a couple of people on here, putting vague posts hinting that it is someone McKellar has worked with.

Tbh i have heard nothing but that is understandable. More interestingly, from what I can make out, those in the media that are much more connected to Tigers, have got nothing either. And i find that interesting given our transfer dealings were very quiet this year. Smith and Perese were kept out of the media until it was pretty much done and dusted. Beets was the same. This year the club have done very well in operating under the radar, so I'm not surprised there's little attack coach chat.

It's hard to even work out who would be in the frame. Rod Seib from Brumbies could be good. Wisemantel worked with McKellar at Australia and would be sensational but would he want to come up from Oz? Mike Catt is leaving Ireland but could we afford him? Maybe, maybe not. Wiggy is an option if Catt goes to England. Both parties would be keen to reunite, that I have heard, but that is hardly that newsworthy.

Think it's wait and see!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:34 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:31 am
Really, the only rumours we have are a couple of people on here, putting vague posts hinting that it is someone McKellar has worked with.

Tbh i have heard nothing but that is understandable. More interestingly, from what I can make out, those in the media that are much more connected to Tigers, have got nothing either. And i find that interesting given our transfer dealings were very quiet this year. Smith and Perese were kept out of the media until it was pretty much done and dusted. Beets was the same. This year the club have done very well in operating under the radar, so I'm not surprised there's little attack coach chat.

It's hard to even work out who would be in the frame. Rod Seib from Brumbies could be good. Wisemantel worked with McKellar at Australia and would be sensational but would he want to come up from Oz? Mike Catt is leaving Ireland but could we afford him? Maybe, maybe not. Wiggy is an option if Catt goes to England. Both parties would be keen to reunite, that I have heard, but that is hardly that newsworthy.

Think it's wait and see!
If Wiggy brought Aled back that would be a decent result :smt002
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

McKeller has said we are getting someone in for next season to Radio Leicester

The talk about it being someone he knows is just from some fans who said it in a derogatory way. I don't think it was an actual rumour
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

yep. jobs for the boys.........
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Tigersunited wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:46 pm yep. jobs for the boys.........
Just say the name. If it ends up right, great. If it ends up wrong, who cares.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:50 pm
As I said earlier if it’s internal job why delay it.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:57 pm
Agreed. You’d just announce it.

If it someone that McKellar has worked with before, then I don’t see the issue with that either. If anything i prefer it.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:57 pm

I don't think he means boys as in Leicester, but more for McKeller boys (Aussies)
Which I mean Aussie backs coaches do at least tend to have a pretty good reputation.