Are Players Now Club Players Or International Players

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Are Players Now Club Players Or International Players

Post by GB72 »

Ok, an odd question but when I read the Anthony Watson interview in the Telegraph, it came across to me at times (maybe due to my wrong interpretation or misreading) but there was almost a hint of begrudgingly returning to clubs after international duty, as if it were hard to be motivated for a club game after playing in front of 80000 at Twickenham. That is certainly something that can be understood.

Now, I am not having a go at any player and I suspect I have read an sub text into the comments that was not there but it does intrigue me as to whether modern players see themselves as club players who represent England (as with Football) or England players who are attached to a club (as in Cricket).

If you think about it, this year especially, internationals spend nearly as much time with the national set up as they do with their club, if they play a full season of England matches, I suspect for all but the very top end, they earn as much if not more from England as they do from their club and then add to that with marketing and image rights, sponsorship etc and it is probably in excess of club earnings. Again, if they play a full season for England, they possibly play nearly as many games for England as they do for the club as well, especially with rest periods.

So, as a serious philosophical question as opposed to having a dig at anyone, and this is certainly not a criticism but do you think we have crossed the bridge whereby internationals see themselves as that first and as club players second, the other way round or even both equal.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Are Players Now Club Players Or International Players

Post by Rugbygramps »

It may be player dependent and how entrenched in the England set up they are.
I would recommend posters listening to the latest edition of Dan and Lenny podcast with Genge guesting. They talk a lot about life with England, and I think for senior players it is similar to having a 2nd club. The financial benefits of playing for your country are mentioned frequently as is it being a relatively short career and making the most of it.

It has also been mentioned that players do enjoy returning to their clubs to escape the goldfish bowl of test rugby.
I’m rambling a little as it is such a big subject, but for quality players they will always have a club to go home to, whereas a test career can be very fleeting
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Non paywall version of the article

https://archive.ph/sZ2DQ

TBH, it just seems like a long moan.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

He’s got his masters, so if it’s so bad retire early and start your new career.

No one has ever said being a professional player is easy. Especially when it comes to rugby, it is balancing the financial rewards against what your body goes through. But also it’s their choice to play professionally at the end of the day. Basically moaning for an entire article isn’t a good look.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:11 am He’s got his masters, so if it’s so bad retire early and start your new career.

No one has ever said being a professional player is easy. Especially when it comes to rugby, it is balancing the financial rewards against what your body goes through. But also it’s their choice to play professionally at the end of the day. Basically moaning for an entire article isn’t a good look.
That is interesting as I read the article as the sort of one you give when you are thinking you may have to retire as opposed to the sort you give when you are looking for your next contract. It seemed devoid of the enthusiasm you see (real or otherwise) when players are looking at their playing future.

I also agree with the comments as to it being different for other players. There will be those with strong ties to a club who are happy to pull on both club and international shirts but perhaps those who have moved around or have no personal club connection are starting to see the international game as their primary job with the club as an potentially unwelcome necessity to allow that to happen. That is sort of how I read that interview.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Sometimes it’s hard to openly accept the thought, deep in your mind, that the time has come to call it a day.
That’s not unique to professional sports, most amateurs go through the same, it’s just that they don’t have to factor in the “what do I do to earn a paycheque” into the consideration.

Yes he has a business degree but will be entering a new workplace 10 years behind with no direct experience. Quite daunting for most people.

You do wonder if the Achilles ruptures might have been avoided with better physio/sports medicine.