Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

International Eligibility

Post by Tiglon »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... d-ireland/

Thoughts? Article about national eligibility in Rugby Union, switching allegiances etc. Focuses on Van der Merwe, Tompkins, Feyi-Wabosi and James Lowe.

I would strongly agree that eligibility should be further restricted. Personally, I would say residency based eligibility should only apply for someone who has lived in that country prior to the age of 18 or similar.

I'd also consider removing the grandparents rule.

Otherwise, is international rugby nothing more than an extension of the club game?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: International Eligibility

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I have been annoyed with the Lions selecting non B&I born players.
Scotland do seem to be pushing the limits of credibility at present, maybe a limit on qualified by residence players in a match day squad?

There is a difference though between a player who started their career in a country they become qualified for (eg Manu) & one they moved to for rugby (eg VDM).
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

The change to the five year residency rule will remove most of the residency qualifications. The ones we are seeing now are throw backs to before the law changed.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Dylan Hartley and Mike Catt along Thomas Waldrom are three that spring to mind, it's not that new is it.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Super User
Super User

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:15 pm Dylan Hartley and Mike Catt along Thomas Waldrom are three that spring to mind, it's not that new is it.
Shane Howarth....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I’m of the view that no player should be able to change country after a senior international appearance.

The grandparents rule is bonkers. Parents - there are many dual nationals, especially in the context of the UK and Ireland where the English, Northern Irish, Scots and Welsh share a common passport nationality. Not to forget that historically many UK and ROI nationals have lived and worked in either country.
A player could technically be entitled to represent 4 nations if the Grandparents rule continues.

If you happen to be born outside of a major rugby playing nation then residency should be an option after an agreed period of residency.

For me talk of Hassell-Collins changing to Wales or Hepburn to Scotland having represented England should not be permissible.

It must be frustrating for many Scots to be denied the chance of playing for their country when half the squad is taken over by foreigners.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:49 pm A player could technically be entitled to represent 4 nations if the Grandparents rule continues.
Technically based on it you can represent 7 countries based on just grandparents.
Say
Grandparent A born in England
Grandparent B born in South Africa
Grandparent C born in New Zealand
Grandparent D born in Australia

Parent AB born in Scotland
Parent CD born in Wales

Player ABCD born in Ireland

Seven nationalities based on birth alone, ok it's unlikely to get such a multicultural person but theoretically possible especially in a world of much easier international travel
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think I agree grandparent rule should go. Country of birth, nationality of parent plus 5 year residency with citizenship should do the job. I do think a full cap for any country should mean not playing for a second country but it dies seem a little unfair that a young player maybe gifted a few minutes on the pitch to prevent him playing for another nation.so maybe some system of application for special dispensation to change allegiance.
Super User
Super User

The change of nationality rule was brought in for the Pacific Island Teams, it really wasn't intended for the "Tier 1" nations to use.

VDM is one of the worse cases of "residency", got himself qualified & capped for Scotland then went to Worcester.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:46 pm
mol2 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:49 pm A player could technically be entitled to represent 4 nations if the Grandparents rule continues.
Technically based on it you can represent 7 countries based on just grandparents.
Say
Grandparent A born in England
Grandparent B born in South Africa
Grandparent C born in New Zealand
Grandparent D born in Australia

Parent AB born in Scotland
Parent CD born in Wales

Player ABCD born in Ireland

Seven nationalities based on birth alone, ok it's unlikely to get such a multicultural person but theoretically possible especially in a world of much easier international travel
Is that because they now have Electric Bikes? :smt030
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I agree with the change of nationality for tier 2 scenario. I would want there to be stricter regulations still for this situation, e.g. has to be country of birth and/or a longer residency period.

None of this is anything new, doesn't mean we have to agree with it though. What is relatively new is the more widespread and cynical use of it. I agree the 5 year rule will (mostly) put a stop to that.

The downside of making the rules much stricter is that potentially teams like Scotland drop down to the same sort of level as Italy, and there are fewer competitive nations. As an England fan, I've loved having a strong Scotland team rather than the walkovers that we had for some years.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Wasn't this brought in, primarily (but not exclusively), to help south sea islanders who were scooped up by NZ and Australia to be able to represent the land of their birth and thus strengthen the likes of Tonga, Fiji and Samoa? It's since been touted as a right of passage for anyone not getting selected by the country of their birth, despite being capped, to go and play for another nation that they qualify for.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

That's the point.
It's not right that one or other country can poach those of another who has no genuine connection to.
It's not club rugby.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:29 pm https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... d-ireland/

Thoughts? Article about national eligibility in Rugby Union, switching allegiances etc. Focuses on Van der Merwe, Tompkins, Feyi-Wabosi and James Lowe.

I would strongly agree that eligibility should be further restricted. Personally, I would say residency based eligibility should only apply for someone who has lived in that country prior to the age of 18 or similar.

I'd also consider removing the grandparents rule.

Otherwise, is international rugby nothing more than an extension of the club game?
When it's multiple grandparents I don't mind so much.

I'd like it to be something like:
3 or 4 grandparents, auto-qualification
2 grandparents, 2 year residency at any point in your life
1 grandparent, 2 year residency in the year before your first cap.

I'd also say you have to have a passport for the country. If you won't or can't get a passport for a country you can't represent them.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:03 pm I'd also say you have to have a passport for the country. If you won't or can't get a passport for a country you can't represent them.
I think this should be the criteria. Anything else is IMHO just bonkers. Even though my grandmother was Canadian, why should I have the right to play for them? I have never been there or know anything about the culture.

There are countries, such as Switerland, who do not give you citizenship just for being born in the country. You have to earn the right!