Wasps revival???

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Wasps revival???

Post by trendylfj »

Just received the following email from Wasps - I joined a group to keep track of what was happening. What does everyone think?

Wasps continues its substantial efforts to return the men's and women's teams to the highest level possible of performance rugby. In October 2023 we outlined the 3 pillars that define our intent and our direction of travel. They are:

A competition entity
One that is fit for purpose and reflects the values that WASPS and others adhere to.

Sustainable finance
The cornerstone of our recovery relies on sustainable finance and a robust business plan that avoids a single point of failure.

A stadium in which to play
We have made substantial progress in the establishment of a suitable ground in which to play as we progress the planning for our new stadium.

What has changed?
We can now inform you that we have secured the core Sustainable finance and a Stadium in which to play. All we are waiting for is a competition to join that will allow us to compete at the highest level - and one that shares our values.

As we navigate through our most challenging period, this is a call to all of you who have shared this journey with us. Whatever entity we join will want to know the level of support we enjoy. By signing up to our new database, you're not just showing support; you're becoming a foundational part of our return.

Every sign-up is a step towards revival, a testament to the enduring legacy and the future potential of our club - your club. Be part of our story.
Hehehehehehehehe
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps revival???

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Values such as not paying your bills, back to the bottom & start again for me.

As for securing finance...friends in the Gulf States maybe?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

No conscience what so ever, I read somewhere(possibly here) that some debts have been cleared, but not all, so for me the rules have to be applied equally to all, they start again at the lowest place possible, just like those before them. Litigation by clubs like London Welsh, would be undoubtably successful were the RFU to sanction their return in the league at any level higher than they had to begin from.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Interesting that it says the competition that fits its values. I wonder if they would look to join the URC?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:41 am Interesting that it says the competition that fits its values. I wonder if they would look to join the URC?
Sounds like they are keeping an open mind.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Even if we accept that professional sides with ground capacity and meeting the other criteria at what level do they expect to return?

Walk back into the premiership?
The championship?

For me it has to be a division down from that at least.
Prove you are a professional outfit worthy of a promotion place.

The Premiership needs at least 2 more teams but first it needs to perhaps look at the criteria it applies to teams who have earned a promotion place but are finding their way blocked. Grounds need to be safe but do teams need to have capacity beyond their needs. I know at present that means 10000 with the relevant safety certification. If the certification only applies to 10000+ stadia, why not apply the same safety standards to say a 5000 stadium whilst those teams establish themselves and demonstrate a realistic timeline to 10000+. However, given the relatively small attendances at many premiership games, this might be made not too onerous providing that 1000 seats are initially made available to away fans.

There are only us and Bristol with over 20000 capacity.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

A competition, "That is fit for purpose and reflects the values that WASPS and others adhere to," is certainly a provocative statement!

As ever, what they haven't said is really telling... they make no mention of the Premiership, the Championship or even the English rugby pyramid.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ground was rumoured to be east of London, so building up a new supporter base won’t happen overnight. Repaid some of their debts possibly some of the larger, but many smaller investors won’t have seen a penny.
If they do get anything off the ground then I think Nat 2 would be a good starting point
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Sadly I think this is the point of the statement, almost a threat to look at the URC if the Prem or Championship will not take them in. I suspect that, if the decision is made that 10 teams are not enough, Wasps will leverage their position to try and get straight back in at the top table and, whether we like it or not, I can see it happening.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

They should be renamed the Hover Flies - a smaller, less irritating version of the original, that may even do some good.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I got an unsolicited email from Wasps Rugby. Appropriately it landed in my junk mail folder :smt003
I'm not cynical just experienced
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:59 am What has changed?
We can now inform you that we have secured the core Sustainable finance and a Stadium in which to play. All we are waiting for is a competition to join that will allow us to compete at the highest level - and one that shares our values.
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:59 am Just received the following email from Wasps - I joined a group to keep track of what was happening. What does everyone think?

Wasps continues its substantial efforts to return the men's and women's teams to the highest level possible of performance rugby. In October 2023 we outlined the 3 pillars that define our intent and our direction of travel. They are:

A competition entity
One that is fit for purpose and reflects the values that WASPS and others adhere to.

Sustainable finance
The cornerstone of our recovery relies on sustainable finance and a robust business plan that avoids a single point of failure.

We have made substantial progress in the establishment of a suitable ground in which to play as we progress the planning for our new stadium.

What has changed?

As we navigate through our most challenging period, this is a call to all of you who have shared this journey with us. Whatever entity we join will want to know the level of support we enjoy. By signing up to our new database, you're not just showing support; you're becoming a foundational part of our return.

Every sign-up is a step towards revival, a testament to the enduring legacy and the future potential of our club - your club. Be part of our story.
I also received an email from them including a survey form with room to add your comment. I told them to get stuffed.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

LE18 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:26 pm
trendylfj wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:59 am Just received the following email from Wasps - I joined a group to keep track of what was happening. What does everyone think?

A competition entity

Sustainable finance

What has changed?

I also received an email from them including a survey form with room to add your comment. I told them to get stuffed.
:smt038
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just read that Wasps have secured a temporary stadium location in the Greater London area. This aligns with their strategic plans for a future relocation to Kent.
So they haven’t got a new permanent home, tenants again, that went so well last time around.
Odds on them popping up in Brentford anyone