Tigers v Gloucester - Premiership Cup Final - Friday 15th March 2024 - KO:7-45pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Gloucester - Premiership Cup Final - Friday 15th March 2024 - KO:7-45pm

Post by GB72 »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:28 am
GB72 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:17 am When is the team announcement for this fixture. I am guessing it is tomorrow but not sure.
usually Thursday for a Friday game
Thought is might be but did not know if it had moved to allow at least minimal media coverage as opposed to releasing them at the same time as all the 6 Nations team news and press conferences.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Gloucester - Premiership Cup Final - Friday 15th March 2024 - KO:7-45pm

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I imagine we’re going to put out the strongest team possible to try and snag some silverware. I’m guessing we’ll see something like:

Cronin Clare Hurd
Wells Hatherell
Liebenberg Cracknell Rogerson
Whiteley Pollard
Kelly Scott
OHC Brown Basset

Whitcombe FTT Richardson Carter Illione Edwards Shilcock Porter
shanghaitiger
Tiger Cub

Post by shanghaitiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:36 am I imagine we’re going to put out the strongest team possible to try and snag some silverware. I’m guessing we’ll see something like:

Cronin Clare Hurd
Wells Hatherell
Liebenberg Cracknell Rogerson
Whiteley Pollard
Kelly Scott
OHC Brown Basset

Whitcombe FTT Richardson Carter Illione Edwards Shilcock Porter
I'd be very happy if that's the announced team. Fingers crossed for Will Hurd...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

If we have either Heyes or Hurd available to play it would make a huge difference for our chances in this one...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Just seen on this link the following are playing on loan for Loughborough in the BUCS league.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4agyuyIk91 ... ljdHp0bThl

Smith @2
Meredith @10
Gourlay @15
Allan @21

Now I'd normally post this on the loan page etc. BUT one thing struck me...

Allan is one of only 4 Scrum Halves (Youngs not eligible due to playing the World Cup) we have eligible for the final.

Would we send out on loan therefore our travelling reserve scrum half to play a game 2 days before a final?

Could it instead show that the other 3 scrum halves may all be fit so Allan isn't required as travelling reserve. In which case that may suggest JVP may be fit for selection??

Am I reading too much into this?
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:05 pm Just seen on this link the following are playing on loan for Loughborough in the BUCS league.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4agyuyIk91 ... ljdHp0bThl

Smith @2
Meredith @10
Gourlay @15
Allan @21

Now I'd normally post this on the loan page etc. BUT one thing struck me...

Allan is one of only 4 Scrum Halves (Youngs not eligible due to playing the World Cup) we have eligible for the final.

Would we send out on loan therefore our travelling reserve scrum half to play a game 2 days before a final?

Could it instead show that the other 3 scrum halves may all be fit so Allan isn't required as travelling reserve. In which case that may suggest JVP may be fit for selection??

Am I reading too much into this?
I believe it’s also Allan’s first game in a few months so probably seen to be getting better game time coming back from injury in the BUCS game and using Whiteley, Edwards and potentially JVP for Gloucester.

That would be my view.
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Just a thought. Does Atkinson get a winners medal if Tigers win?
If so does he hope Tigers win or his present team mates?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So Porter IS available for Friday, but McKellar has worded his interview to suggest that today may be his first contact session, but not explicitly said that.... so is it McKellar playing mindgames, who knows...

Dolly also possibly available from what he said but equally could be a couple of weeks away...

No mention of possibly the most important to our chances injury wise Hurd and JvP though, wonder if that is a deliberate ommision...
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:33 pm So Porter IS available for Friday, but McKellar has worded his interview to suggest that today may be his first contact session, but not explicitly said that.... so is it McKellar playing mindgames, who knows...

Dolly also possibly available from what he said but equally could be a couple of weeks away...

No mention of possibly the most important to our chances injury wise Hurd and JvP though, wonder if that is a deliberate ommision...
Perhaps, you would have certainly thought that the question would be asked about JVP
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Strange thing to say for a Tigers side but I think if we win the final it will be through the backs. They are going to be relatively inexperienced in midfield and possibly fullback.
Complete opposite a week later when we will have a few of the big dogs back
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:36 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:33 pm So Porter IS available for Friday, but McKellar has worded his interview to suggest that today may be his first contact session, but not explicitly said that.... so is it McKellar playing mindgames, who knows...

Perhaps, you would have certainly thought that the question would be asked about JVP
Agreed, unless there was an off the record "don't ask about these guys" to keep the opposition in the dark a bit (but that doesn't say if they are fit or not tbh)
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Interestingly while looking at the regulations noticed
6.4 A Club may not play or select as a replacement in any Match more than two Foreign Players and more than three Loan Players.
Just wondering on the definition of foreign players in this instance? It's not EQP players as Liebenberg, Carter and Scott all played in the last game. I wonder if for this definition Kolpak players still fit as in the Sale game in the groups we had

Powell - Aus
Carter - Aus

Williams - Zim
Liebenberg - SA
Hatherall - SA (may be EQP??)
Pollard - SA
Van Wyk - SA (but is EQP)

Either way is certainly over "2" as that is covered by Powell and Carter...
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:50 pm Interestingly while looking at the regulations noticed
6.4 A Club may not play or select as a replacement in any Match more than two Foreign Players and more than three Loan Players.
Just wondering on the definition of foreign players in this instance? It's not EQP players as Liebenberg, Carter and Scott all played in the last game. I wonder if for this definition Kolpak players still fit as in the Sale game in the groups we had

Powell - Aus
Carter - Aus

Williams - Zim
Liebenberg - SA
Pollard - SA

Foreign player is defined elsewhere in the RFU regs.

It means any player who is not: Eligible for ANY European nation or who does not have British working rights, since the Kolpak ruling South African nationals have those rights in UK.

It's a massive definition, Hatherell & Williams are definitely EQP & I'm fairly sure Joe Powell was EQP through heritage laws as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Carter actually was an EQP, his last Aussie cap was ages ago (so qualifies on stand down) & a huge number of white Australians have recent enough British heritage. Even with just the British heritage he'd have a UK passport & not count as a foreigner.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sk 88 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:08 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:50 pm Interestingly while looking at the regulations noticed

Powell - Aus
Carter - Aus

Williams - Zim
Liebenberg - SA
Pollard - SA

Foreign player is defined elsewhere in the RFU regs.

It means any player who is not: Eligible for ANY European nation or who does not have British working rights, since the Kolpak ruling South African nationals have those rights in UK.

It's a massive definition, Hatherell & Williams are definitely EQP & I'm fairly sure Joe Powell was EQP through heritage laws as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Carter actually was an EQP, his last Aussie cap was ages ago (so qualifies on stand down) & a huge number of white Australians have recent enough British heritage. Even with just the British heritage he'd have a UK passport & not count as a foreigner.
Cheers appreciate the explanation