Trailfinders a sad indictment of rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Trailfinders a sad indictment of rugby

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

There isn't an idea I detest more than creating regional franchises in English rugby.

However... many of the same arguments were made against cricket's The Hundred, and that competition is attracting TV viewers and attendances that the county game could only dream of.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:54 pm There isn't an idea I detest more than creating regional franchises in English rugby.

However... many of the same arguments were made against cricket's The Hundred, and that competition is attracting TV viewers and attendances that the county game could only dream of.
I would just point out that regional team and a franchise aren’t necessarily the same thing. An example of a franchise would be The Raiders in NGL who have been based in at least 3 cities
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:57 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:54 pm There isn't an idea I detest more than creating regional franchises in English rugby.

IAn example of a franchise would be The Raiders in NGL who have been based in at least 3 cities
This sounds like Wasps! :smt009

If regional teams or franchises were to arise and Tigers cease to exist, so would my following of rugby.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The problem with The Hundred is it's sort of worked, but only for 2 seasons. There's already rumblings of it not surviving in its current form, and the biggest elephant in the room, despite the attendances, is that a lot of long term cricket supporters don't like the comp and have found it alienates them. The argument is also, on the whole, cricket has never been a "tribal" sport either; rugby already is.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I would just point out that regional team and a franchise aren’t necessarily the same thing. An example of a franchise would be The Raiders in NGL who have been based in at least 3 cities
Very true, however in a rugby scenario I suspect a regional model would also be a franchise model from the RFU. The RFU would specify the number of regions they want, and it would go out to bid. And would be an unmitigated disaster.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

We have already seen a version of the Franchise model in the women's game,.
Clubs have to apply to be in the PWR winning the Championship play off did not guarantee Cheltenham Ladies a place in PWR.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

While there are enough wealthy men happy to subsidise Prem clubs the game will limp on in it's current form.

If enough of those people pull out, we will be left with franchises or clubs cutting their salaries.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:54 pm While there are enough wealthy men happy to subsidise Prem clubs the game will limp on in it's current form.

If enough of those people pull out, we will be left with franchises or clubs cutting their salaries.
Totally agree and as 3 clubs have learnt that is a perilous path to be walking
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

I know it’s not the same, but Wales’s tinkering with clubs and merging them into regions has drastically affected support and involvement there. Would hate to see that happen in England.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Lutontiger wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:04 pm I know it’s not the same, but Wales’s tinkering with clubs and merging them into regions has drastically affected support and involvement there. Would hate to see that happen in England.
That’s a classic example of how not to do it.
As mentioned by Tiglon I’ve no doubt that the clubs will continue on their current path, until something happens which forces action, which of course it may not
Bouncyben

Post by Bouncyben »

Except the main difference being that Each time the raiders moved they went to a bigger market, the reason they are in Vegas now is because the stadium was built by the city, not the team, and they have 0 competition for fans (except for other sports like hockey and baseball) NFL is king and they make millions in profit per game. The Dallas Cowboys roughly make between 77-80 million dollars profit per home game. Rugby could learn a lot from what the NFL achieves. 18 regular season games, so less than us, average to audience of between 15-20 million, more for prime time games
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Bouncyben wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:15 pm

Except the main difference being that Each time the raiders moved they went to a bigger market, the reason they are in Vegas now is because the stadium was built by the city, not the team, and they have 0 competition for fans (except for other sports like hockey and baseball) NFL is king and they make millions in profit per game. The Dallas Cowboys roughly make between 77-80 million dollars profit per home game. Rugby could learn a lot from what the NFL achieves. 18 regular season games, so less than us, average to audience of between 15-20 million, more for prime time games
Maybe missed my point. No matter the reason for them moving they were able to move because Raiders is a franchise not a regional team. I agree with all your other points
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It's all well and good saying "learn from NFL", but the fact is that American people love NFL, whereas British people, mostly, have at best zero interest in rugby. You can't force people to like something.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

All of this has been discussed before.

There is too much negativity IMO. The Prem is great to watch and there are some great stadiums and clubs in it. We just need to build it out a bit and make better use of what is there.

We just have to look over the channel to see what we have to do.
Bouncyben

Post by Bouncyben »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:03 pm

It's all well and good saying "learn from NFL", but the fact is that American people love NFL, whereas British people, mostly, have at best zero interest in rugby. You can't force people to like something.

100% this. Simply rugby is not popular enough to support the league structures we all dream of.