Trailfinders a sad indictment of rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Trailfinders a sad indictment of rugby

Post by Scott1 »

The trouble is then that Ealing might have a fake fan base,as Wasps did. It has to be organic. Most of those going to the Ricoh weren't even Wasps fans. I understand that they moved multiple times etc ,but if Ealing did come up and grew their fan base the odds are that most would walk away when the going got tough. If the genuine fan base isn't there now then there won't be a stable one when they come up imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:35 pm The trouble is then that Ealing might have a fake fan base,as Wasps did. It has to be organic. Most of those going to the Ricoh weren't even Wasps fans. I understand that they moved multiple times etc ,but if Ealing did come up and grew their fan base the odds are that most would walk away when the going got tough. If the genuine fan base isn't there now then there won't be a stable one when they come up imo.
This is why, in my unpopular opinion, the criteria for promotion should not be stadium capacity but rather attendance. That should be average home attendance at your home ground over a season (that would exclude playing a couple of matches at a bigger ground with cheap tickets to bump up the numbers). This would encourage clubs to develop their supporter base as much as their playing staff as, after all, that is what will help a club survive, bums on seats not who is on the pitch. Plus, if the championship clubs developed and grew the crowds, they may become attractive enough for a TV deal.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

GB72 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:46 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:35 pm The trouble is then that Ealing might have a fake fan base,as Wasps did. It has to be organic. Most of those going to the Ricoh weren't even Wasps fans. I understand that they moved multiple times etc ,but if Ealing did come up and grew their fan base the odds are that most would walk away when the going got tough. If the genuine fan base isn't there now then there won't be a stable one when they come up imo.
This is why, in my unpopular opinion, the criteria for promotion should not be stadium capacity but rather attendance. That should be average home attendance at your home ground over a season (that would exclude playing a couple of matches at a bigger ground with cheap tickets to bump up the numbers). This would encourage clubs to develop their supporter base as much as their playing staff as, after all, that is what will help a club survive, bums on seats not who is on the pitch. Plus, if the championship clubs developed and grew the crowds, they may become attractive enough for a TV deal
Agree, although obviously (somehow) can have a capacity of 5000 (where, I don't know). They've invested on players and a indoor training and academy facility, but if I were a Premiership club (or a Championship club maintaining a Prem standard stadium) I'd ask why it was fair they could get away with not spending money on a fit for purpose stadium facility (even if it was uniform semi-permanent stands as seen at Sarries/Bath etc).
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:39 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:27 pm How are Ealing supposed to build a fanbase if they're not allowed into the Premiership?

The Championship itself generates so little interest that you're never going to have a lot of fans until you move up a level.

Instead of saying they've failed, and Premiership Rugby acting as a gatekeeper, perhaps there should be a clear pathway and support process for ambitious clubs to grow over time, in which we work with clubs like Ealing to help them become strong professional outfits?

Unless we're happy with a maximum of 10 Prem clubs, until the next one goes bust?

We all (I think) accept that the Premiership needs to be bigger, yet here we have a wealthy man who wants to invest in rugby and build something.... and our response is "no thanks, mate". Crazy.
Just playing devils advocate if this man wants to invest in rugby why isn’t he doing something about the nice little ground, which looked to be part of a larger complex and shocking pitch. Why didn’t their team contain some promising youngsters rather than a large number of ex premiership players.
I agree there should be a pathway but the funding within the club needs to be directed in the right areas, otherwise 4 clubs going under could easily turn into 5. And the biggest question what happens when rich man gets bored or looses his money
He has tried to do something about the ground - council said no.

Why no promising youngsters? They tend to be picked up by Premiership teams. Do 20/30-somethings not deserve jobs?

What happens when the rich men at every single Prem club gets bored? We're all propped up by one...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Council said No find out why and reapply with necessary amendments
If you’re serious long term you integrate the youngsters don’t sign Billy Twelvetrees and Lloyd Williams.
I agree with your point about the moneymen

Point is he appears to be looking for short term fixes not a long term strategy, you will no doubt disagree but that’s mine and it would appear other’s opinion
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:41 pm Council said No find out why and reapply with necessary amendments
If you’re serious long term you integrate the youngsters don’t sign Billy Twelvetrees and Lloyd Williams.

Point is he appears to be looking for short term fixes not a long term strategy, you will no doubt disagree but that’s mine and it would appear other’s opinion
Sounds a lot like Leicester Tigers, who tried buying in players for short term fixes, before using our own academy players instead.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:46 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:41 pm Council said No find out why and reapply with necessary amendments

Sounds a lot like Leicester Tigers, who tried buying in players for short term fixes, before using our own academy players instead.
Your point being?

You accuse people of being in Ivory Towers what’s the view like from on your Soap Box
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Yet we have Mike Brown in our squad...

I wonder if Mr "Ealing" isn't the "right" sort of person in some eyes.

What is obvious is a 10 club top division isn't sustainable.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

You need short term fixes, while you invest money in the academy which will take many years to bear fruit.

Have you read about their long term strategy? Or are you just assuming there isn't one because they employ over-30's?

Which youngsters should be integrated?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:50 pm

It's pretty blatantly a case of "old money" looking down it's nose at "new money".

Typical rugby union blazer-wearing snobbery and short-sightedness.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

We are not trying to prove ourselves as Premiership material and have a large number of under 25s in our first team squad including a number of England internationals.
I have no idea who Mr. Ealing is.
An 11 club top division with a club who can’t attract 3000 spectators for one of the biggest club names in the world will make it more sustainable?

What would be sustainable is 6 regional pro teams supported by 2 leagues of semi pro teams, which Ealing would be ideal for, in a British mainland league.
Unfortunately the wrinklies would never buy it
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:55 pm

You need short term fixes, while you invest money in the academy which will take many years to bear fruit.

Have you read about their long term strategy? Or are you just assuming there isn't one because they employ over-30's?

No I haven’t would you care to enlighten me of their academy and long term strategies as you seem to be so enlightened
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:58 pm

It's pretty blatantly a case of "old money" looking down it's nose at "new money".

Typical rugby union blazer-wearing snobbery and short-sightedness.
Proof of these statements please
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:59 pm

No I haven’t would you care to enlighten me of their academy and long term strategies as you seem to be so enlightened
I'm not your PA. If you want to educate yourself on a topic, do some research.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:08 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:59 pm

I'm not your PA. If you want to educate yourself on a topic, do some research.
So in other words you don’t have the information either just your usual pontificating.
Good Afternoon to you