Kit changes for colourblind viewers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Kit changes for colourblind viewers

Post by Rugbygramps »

From next season 6 nations teams will be mandated to accommodate potential kit clashes which impact colour blind viewers.
For instance this will be the last season that Ireland and Wales will play each other wearing their traditional colours.
The same rule will apply in the 2027 World Cup.
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kit changes for colourblind viewers

Post by GB72 »

I say it is a great idea. Has no real impact on those that do not suffer whilst greatly helping those who do.

My understanding is that red/green colour blindness is the most comment and so to have a kit change when those 2 colours are involved is a great step to help those who suffer from this.

Does the colour of the kit for one match really matter for one match.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:42 pm I say it is a great idea. Has no real impact on those that do not suffer whilst greatly helping those who do.

My understanding is that red/green colour blindness is the most comment and so to have a kit change when those 2 colours are involved is a great step to help those who suffer from this.

Does the colour of the kit for one match really matter for one match.
No it doesn’t. We are talking about something which afflicts 5% of the population and how many of those watch rugby union I’m unsure. As you say we are only talking about the odd game.

I think it was Ted Lowe the snooker commentator who famously said, those of you watching in black and white the brown ball, is just above the green
IloveFreddie

Post by IloveFreddie »

It is about time and a great decision which needs to be applied at club level too.
Last edited by IloveFreddie on Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:37 pm
I honestly don’t know what to say
Good? The game is now going to be more accessible for even more people to watch.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

IloveFreddie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:56 pm It is about time and a great decision which needs to be applied at club level too.
Good call, in fact maybe it is time for a mandate that clubs have one light and one dark kit so as to differentiate better as well. Was always a fan of the American Football system of a full colour home kit and the away kit has to be white with trim in the colour of the home kit.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:32 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:37 pm
I honestly don’t know what to say
Good? The game is now going to be more accessible for even more people to watch.
Yes it is. Let’s hope it ramps up the crowds
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:34 pm
IloveFreddie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:56 pm It is about time and a great decision which needs to be applied at club level too.
Good call, in fact maybe it is time for a mandate that clubs have one light and one dark kit so as to differentiate better as well. Was always a fan of the American Football system of a full colour home kit and the away kit has to be white with trim in the colour of the home kit.
This did happen but seems to be no longer the case
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

More people will be able to watch & identify the 26 players standing in the middle of the pitch as the game of kick tennis takes place over their heads.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

If I sound underwhelmed then I apologise, it goes without saying the more people who enjoy the game the better.
It’s just imo the game has much bigger issues to deal with
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:44 pm If I sound underwhelmed then I apologise, it goes without saying the more people who enjoy the game the better.
It’s just imo the game has much bigger issues to deal with
Bigger issues take time to address, this had a pretty quick and simple fix that helps some people who have visual issues. Nice to see one issue being quickly and simply addressed.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:41 pm More people will be able to watch & identify the 26 players standing in the middle of the pitch as the game of kick tennis takes place over their heads.
What sport are you watching?
rugby union is 15 a side = 30 players
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:30 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:41 pm More people will be able to watch & identify the 26 players standing in the middle of the pitch as the game of kick tennis takes place over their heads.
You've not allowed for those in the Sin Bin. :smt005
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If 5% of the population are colour blind, the odds are 5% of rugby fans will be colour blind.
Probably more than that given that colour blindness is more common in males and the majority of rugby fans are male.

Given that Rugby has agreed to the change from next year it seems pretty ignorant to not wear your change kit and actively choose to impair the spectacle for 1 in 20 of the viewing audience. If I were a colour blind neutral I wouldn’t bother watching the game.

The Ted Lowe error was a comical error but it might as well be in black and white and unlike snooker the players don’t have spots to stand on!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:30 pm
I was discounting the 2 kickers from each side.
To win is not as important as playing with style!