Warriors on the way back??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Warriors on the way back??

Post by trendylfj »

Some good news for Worcs Warriors - if true, give hope to seeing them back in 25/6 season. https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ing-talks/
Hehehehehehehehe
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Warriors on the way back??

Post by Old Hob »

Straight back in to tier 2 is the aim. Is this fair and reasonable?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:21 am Straight back in to tier 2 is the aim. Is this fair and reasonable?
The issue for me is are some bigger clubs required in tier 2, imo yes they are.
For me Worcester are a very different case to Wasps. Worcester were sold down the river, by 2 allegedly corrupt owners. Had the club has responsible owners their collapse might not have happened. They also have a top class facility to move back to.
Wasps a completely different case, and again just IMO, as long as guarantees were given about their future I would welcome Worcester back. Wasps not in a month of Sundays
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Problem is Holland will not pass the RFU's fitness test to run a club and the last report from the liquidators gave Holland more time to pay, it seems to say that he does not yet actually own the club?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:38 am Problem is Holland will not pass the RFU's fitness test to run a club and the last report from the liquidators gave Holland more time to pay, it seems to say that he does not yet actually own the club?
If that’s the case and continues to be so then it’s a definite No
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Holland got 6 ways by way of a default on a loan from the previous owners, so he owns the ground but not yet the club it seems.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I doubt anyone would meet the criteria set by the RFU who only seem interested in the return of Wasps.

The Premiership perhaps have a dilemma, keep on denying promotion to upcoming sides, accept the continued shrinking of the league or cling on to a fanciful notion of Wasps or Irish returning in the near future.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There seems to be zero movement on London Irish, still in the hands of liquidators with no sign of that being resolved with a buyer, their fans, sadly seem to have accepted the club no longer exists, last I heard good numbers were following the amateur London Irish "Wild Geese side.
There seems to be zero happening with Wasps either, it's almost as if Holland who does own the Wasps "brand" has given up on that and is concentrating on resurrecting Worcester, now will they be called Worcester or will they be Worcester Wasps is another matter. A look on the old Wasps forum shows fans are also following the old amateur Wasps FC at Twyford Road.
Worcester Warriors Supporters Trust are a lot more active, they arrange trips to go to neutral rugby games to keep the group together(and possibly raising funds for the trust too).
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Does anyone else wonder why Ealing's ground is not suitable for premiership rugby but can host a PRC semi-final?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:33 pm Does anyone else wonder why Ealing's ground is not suitable for premiership rugby but can host a PRC semi-final?
I know that you need in excess of 10,000 capacity to be a premiership club ground but I am assuming that the rules were relaxed for the PRC to allow the involvement of the Championship. Does reek a bit of double standards I suppose.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:33 pm Does anyone else wonder why Ealing's ground is not suitable for premiership rugby but can host a PRC semi-final?
Don’t think it would be fair on Ealing to say your reward for getting to the semi final is you can’t have home advantage.
Short answer different competition different rules
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

GB72 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:40 pm
I know that you need in excess of 10,000 capacity to be a premiership club ground but I am assuming that the rules were relaxed for the PRC to allow the involvement of the Championship. Does reek a bit of double standards I suppose.
Could this also be linked to any requirement for European games as all Premiership sides are involved in either the Challenge or Champions Cup?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:44 pm
Could this also be linked to any requirement for European games as all Premiership sides are involved in either the Challenge or Champions Cup?
Could well be, may also be wrong but I also thought some of the more stringent health and safety regulations for stadiums and grounds kicked in once capacity reaches 10000.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

GB72 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:03 am

Could well be, may also be wrong but I also thought some of the more stringent health and safety regulations for stadiums and grounds kicked in once capacity reaches 10000.
Interestingly when Saracens returned from the championship their capacity was 8000 due to the stadium works not having been completed. They should have been told that they had to stay in the Championship until the ground was back up to the required capacity.

I honestly feel that the capacity should not be an issue if a club can show a sustainable business plan.

The threat of relegation can inspire a team to dig deep on the pitch but at the moment with no Championship side likely to gain promotion there is no threat to any Premiership club
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:22 pm
GB72 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:03 am

Interestingly when Saracens returned from the championship their capacity was 8000 due to the stadium works not having been completed. They should have been told that they had to stay in the Championship until the ground was back up to the required capacity.

I honestly feel that the capacity should not be an issue if a club can show a sustainable business plan.

The threat of relegation can inspire a team to dig deep on the pitch but at the moment with no Championship side likely to gain promotion there is no threat to any Premiership club
Ahhh but the rules changed the year they got promoted (wonder why) rules are now you can get promoted with a ground capacity of over 5,000 so long as there is plan to reach 10,000 within 12 months (which Saracens had)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.