Ealing PRC game info

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Ealing PRC game info

Post by Tigerbeat »

I would go with something between the teams we put out for Newcastle and Sale........not arguing with anyones selections but just saying that Tigers need to take Ealing seriously and select a strong team.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Is Lewis Chessum fit, I know he hasn’t played in a while
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I would pick the team based on the following priorities:

1st Priority: Preparation for the resumption of the Premiership. Having potentially 2 competitive games during the 6N break gives us the opportunity to have a huge advantage over most other Prem teams, whereby we can go back already up to speed, while others may come in a bit cold. For me, this is the most important thing and shouldn't be forgotten. Caveat to this is that it needs to be balanced with the benefits of an extended rest for some players.

2nd Priority: Testing youth. That would normally be my top priority in this competition, but, given the context of the long break I think it needs to play second fiddle below the above. If we have youngsters that we think might be ready, then they can be tested in bigger games, one at a time, just like Carnduff recently. It's not like it's now or never. Putting a load of kids out in the same team doesn't tell us as much as integrating them gradually alongside a strong first team would.

3rd Priority: The trophy itself. Other than how it ties into Priority 1, and would give us momentum into Prem games (if we do play first teamers in the cup), it really doesn't have any importance at all for me.

I would therefore like to see all possible first team players being involved in this and (hopefully) the final, apart from those who are better off resting.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I think you are living in dream land if you think Borthwick will release any England players, they will all be training, including those who haven't played, get used to it as once those hybrid contracts raise their ugly heads, it will be the norm.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:38 pm I think you are living in dream land if you think Borthwick will release any England players, they will all be training, including those who haven't played, get used to it as once those hybrid contracts raise their ugly heads, it will be the norm.
So you think it’s sensible for Englands 3rd tighthead not to play any rugby for well over a month and potentially be whistled on to the bench.
Not sure why you are so anti hybrid contracts when nobody knows any details about them yet
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:49 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:38 pm I think you are living in dream land if you think Borthwick will release any England players, they will all be training, including those who haven't played, get used to it as once those hybrid contracts raise their ugly heads, it will be the norm.
So you think it’s sensible for Englands 3rd tighthead not to play any rugby for well over a month and potentially be whistled on to the bench.
Not sure why you are so anti hybrid contracts when nobody knows any details about them yet
I didn't say I thought it was sensible, I am just aware of some of the thought process being applied.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:15 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:49 pm
I didn't say I thought it was sensible, I am just aware of some of the thought process being applied.
Understood, it has been reported in some outlets that if there is a game then travelling reserves will be released
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:57 pm I would pick the team based on the following priorities:

1st Priority: Preparation for the resumption of the Premiership. Having potentially 2 competitive games during the 6N break gives us the opportunity to have a huge advantage over most other Prem teams, whereby we can go back already up to speed, while others may come in a bit cold. For me, this is the most important thing and shouldn't be forgotten. Caveat to this is that it needs to be balanced with the benefits of an extended rest for some players.

2nd Priority: Testing youth. That would normally be my top priority in this competition, but, given the context of the long break I think it needs to play second fiddle below the above. If we have youngsters that we think might be ready, then they can be tested in bigger games, one at a time, just like Carnduff recently. It's not like it's now or never. Putting a load of kids out in the same team doesn't tell us as much as integrating them gradually alongside a strong first team would.

3rd Priority: The trophy itself. Other than how it ties into Priority 1, and would give us momentum into Prem games (if we do play first teamers in the cup), it really doesn't have any importance at all for me.

I would therefore like to see all possible first team players being involved in this and (hopefully) the final, apart from those who are better off resting.
That looks very reasonable to me. To win the PRC and then lose to Glos back in the Premiership would be a bad outcome, so this should be all about hitting 22 March in our stride.
shanghaitiger
Tiger Cub

Post by shanghaitiger »

“Ealing were the standout team of the Pool stages and will pose significant threat with Tigers without their Six Nations and Rugby World Cup internationals, though finals hero Handré Pollard is eligible after his cameo against Sale Sharks.”

Does this quote from the Tigers website regarding Pollard imply that you can only select players who played in the group stages?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

shanghaitiger wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:06 pm “Ealing were the standout team of the Pool stages and will pose significant threat with Tigers without their Six Nations and Rugby World Cup internationals, though finals hero Handré Pollard is eligible after his cameo against Sale Sharks.”

Does this quote from the Tigers website regarding Pollard imply that you can only select players who played in the group stages?
If you look at the first couple of pages of the thread that will answer your question
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

GB72 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:40 am
I would guess also Pollard, Weise and Steward (not that I suspect they would play through selection and international duty). Watson and JVP would be interesting as out through injury at the time.

Thing is, if they could play and were nearing fitness, I suspect that England may want Martin and JVP to get some game time in next week as well as maybe Heyes
JVP would be eligible as he was injured, Watson wouldn't be eligible without special dispensation as he wasn't a Tigers' player during the pool stage:
6.3 A Club may not be represented in the Semi-Final or Final Matches of the Competition by any
person who has not played or been a replacement or substitute (i.e. included in the match
squad) for that Club in the Competition pool stage Matches in the current season, with the
exception (subject to the approval of a dispensation request) of the following:

6.3.1 Front Row Forwards where the provision of such player(s) is needed to enable the Club to
comply with its regulatory requirements (and in particular Regulation 6.7);

6.3.2 Players who were injured during the pool stages and who, at the time of the Semi-Final or Final
Matches of the Competition, are fit and available for selection;

6.3.3 Players who were selected to play or be a replacement in a Competition pool stage Match which
did not take place for reasons outside a Club’s control; or

6.3.4 In exceptional circumstances at the discretion of the Tournament Organiser
shanghaitiger
Tiger Cub

Post by shanghaitiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:23 am
I would guess also Pollard, Weise and Steward (not that I suspect they would play through selection and international duty). Watson and JVP would be interesting as out through injury at the time.

Thing is, if they could play and were nearing fitness, I suspect that England may want Martin and JVP to get some game time in next week as well as maybe Heyes
JVP would be eligible as he was injured, Watson wouldn't be eligible without special dispensation as he wasn't a Tigers' player during the pool stage:
6.3 A Club may not be represented in the Semi-Final or Final Matches of the Competition by any
person who has not played or been a replacement or substitute (i.e. included in the match
squad) for that Club in the Competition pool stage Matches in the current season, with the

6.3.1 Front Row Forwards where the provision of such player(s) is needed to enable the Club to

6.3.2 Players who were injured during the pool stages and who, at the time of the Semi-Final or Final

6.3.3 Players who were selected to play or be a replacement in a Competition pool stage Match which

6.3.4 In exceptional circumstances at the discretion of the Tournament Organiser
Hot_Charlie, thanks for finding that info!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I wonder if there is an argument for exception circumstances to be applied to players away at the world cup. That said, with the timing of the rounds etc, I guess that the tournament was organised on the basis of most clubs having international absences.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

GB72 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:15 pm I wonder if there is an argument for exception circumstances to be applied to players away at the world cup. That said, with the timing of the rounds etc, I guess that the tournament was organised on the basis of most clubs having international absences.
I'd suggest with player comings and goings there could be a case. In our circumstances Powell and Williams are good examples as they were prominent in the PRC, have since left, and were in positions in which we had players at the RWC or who were injured (Youngs and JVP) or where injuries have subsequently been obtained (Henderson).

I'd say the case to add Youngs is there, but maybe depends on JVP's fitness, as he can play without any dispensation.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

shanghaitiger wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:10 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:23 am

Hot_Charlie, thanks for finding that info!
You're welcome. RFU website holds all the competition regulations. For anyone having trouble sleeping, click the link below:

https://www.englandrugby.com/governance ... egulations