Tigers v Nottingham (A) - Friendly - Friday 09th February 2024

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Nottingham (A) - Friendly - Friday 09th February 2024

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:10 am Didn't watch or hear any commentary from the game, but the score line says it all. Experience for the younger players is good I guess, but not so sure about the experience of being held to zero by Nottingham :smt009
Worth pointing out it was a 10 point lead with 15min to go and 12 points were in the last 5 minutes of the game. Yes Nottingham clearly outplayed us but it was a good shift by the young lads and a lot to take from that performance.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think it's a pretty well established principle that playing against a team that's much better than you is valuable experience.

Otherwise we might as well kick Italy out of 6N, take the Champions Cup down to 4 teams, get rid of the World Cup group stages and cancel most of our own preseason friendlies.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Although it might be disappointing to play against a weaker team, I believe the coaches know what they are doing. Such games provide a good opportunity for the players to develop their teamwork and coordination, which is essential leading up to a tournament. However, from my own experience as a player, I know that playing against a stronger team can also be useful. It helps to identify the players who can handle pressure and those who struggle. In my opinion, the latter is a better option at this stage of the season.
"Our academy produces some excellent players, but their progress is often hindered by established players in their preferred positions. Although these young players may eventually find success elsewhere, their frustrations are understandable. This is why there needs to be more competition for development sides, so they can break through earlier if they have the talent.

Ben White is a classic example of this. He is now a full international, but when he was starting out, he had to compete with Ben Youngs and JVP, who are also great players. This is a great dilemma for the club to have, but it can be frustrating for the young player at the bottom of the order.

Speaking of the club, I am happy that we have the right people in place, but we really need to promote these games more. I can remember us getting 10k plus crowds for academy/development squad games in the past."
A life long Tiger
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

I'm sorry but we should have included a few senior players to give guidance and support.
I'm sure there are senior players who need game time so they should have been utilised
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Embarrassing for Nottingham to send cannon fodder like this. Ridiculous.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’m damn sure the coaches know what they’re doing far more than anybody on here.
I see words like ridiculous and embarrassing. 12 nil down with 10 minutes to go , sound like our senior academy performed well. Nottingham got a decent run out to help with their league season and raised some much needed funds

Let’s see how the senior squad have performed at the end of our participation in the PRC and the game against Gloucester before using terms like ridiculous and embarrassing
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I don't really understand some of the comments, people are saying that the likes of Woodward, Vanes, Edwards, Manz and a few more of that team are ready to be given the odd appearance for the first team, but now they're cannon fodder for a team languishing in the bottom half of the Championship?

I'm not sure there's too much that any of our first team players could have got out of playing that game. I doubt a friendly against a lower-end Championship team is better preparation for the PRC and resumption of the Premiership than training together.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:26 pm I’m damn sure the coaches know what they’re doing far more than anybody on here.
I see words like ridiculous and embarrassing. 12 nil down with 10 minutes to go , sound like our senior academy performed well. Nottingham got a decent run out to help with their league season and raised some much needed funds

Let’s see how the senior squad have performed at the end of our participation in the PRC and the game against Gloucester before using terms like ridiculous and embarrassing
Completely wrong - whilst the coaches have day to day contact with the players, access to training loads, sports science and no doubt a 12-18 month rolling plan for many youngsters, it’s people sat at home, posting on fans forums & with limited to no rugby coaching experience who will know best.
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

I don’t have any coaching experience, but I do have a sports science degree and extensive experience of being around a rugby club and seeing and hearing how it works so I’m not as stupid as some on here are saying anyone how dares have an opinion is.

However, yes I am a Nottingham fan. But I am incredulous at those who think there was nothing wrong with a) how the Academy performed last night, b) think that the Academy actually played well and c) are being dismissive about the standard at which Nottingham play.
I don’t think anyone can possibly state that the Academy were as good as people were making out. I don’t think anyone can deny that some of them have an awful lot to learn. I think that much should be obvious even to those of you who are wearing blinkers. And I’ve said it once and I will say as many times as it takes- if there’s a team like that goes out against Ealing it will, no possibly about it, be a humiliation. Ealing have put 100 on a team before and they’re perfectly capable of doing it again. I realise that many Premiership fans believe that no team in the Championship could possibly beat anyone in the Premiership but Ealing are an extremely strong team full of very very good players and they will be baying for blood. I sincerely hope that team last night was no indication of the team playing against Ealing.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TheChild wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:41 pm I don’t have any coaching experience, but I do have a sports science degree and extensive experience of being around a rugby club and seeing and hearing how it works so I’m not as stupid as some on here are saying anyone how dares have an opinion is.

However, yes I am a Nottingham fan. But I am incredulous at those who think there was nothing wrong with a) how the Academy performed last night, b) think that the Academy actually played well and c) are being dismissive about the standard at which Nottingham play.
I don’t think anyone can possibly state that the Academy were as good as people were making out. I don’t think anyone can deny that some of them have an awful lot to learn. I think that much should be obvious even to those of you who are wearing blinkers. And I’ve said it once and I will say as many times as it takes- if there’s a team like that goes out against Ealing it will, no possibly about it, be a humiliation. Ealing have put 100 on a team before and they’re perfectly capable of doing it again. I realise that many Premiership fans believe that no team in the Championship could possibly beat anyone in the Premiership but Ealing are an extremely strong team full of very very good players and they will be baying for blood. I sincerely hope that team last night was no indication of the team playing against Ealing.
The Tigers coaches will have had their reasons for that side, as will Nottingham and that game is done.
I would be very surprised if anyone other than possibly Vanes, from last nights team, is in the 23 v Ealing.

I would ask the question that when was the last time a championship side beat a premiership side picking from almost its strongest squad
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:59 pm
TheChild wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:41 pm I don’t have any coaching experience, but I do have a sports science degree and extensive experience of being around a rugby club and seeing and hearing how it works so I’m not as stupid as some on here are saying anyone how dares have an opinion is.

The Tigers coaches will have had their reasons for that side, as will Nottingham and that game is done.
I would be very surprised if anyone other than possibly Vanes, from last nights team, is in the 23 v Ealing.

I would ask the question that when was the last time a championship side beat a premiership side picking from almost its strongest squad
this past summer when Bedford turned over a multiple time champions of England
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:24 pm

That was hardly our strongest side, they were all training for the Bristol game. A lot like last night
You possibly need to read posts better
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:26 pm

That was hardly our strongest side, they were all training for the Bristol game. A lot like last night
we had our strongest squad available and chose not to use them the rest is excuses, it would have been a stronger side than was picked last night too
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:28 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:26 pm

we had our strongest squad available and chose not to use them the rest is excuses, it would have been a stronger side than was picked last night too
Again look back there were a number of loanees in the side. Yes we chose not to play them just like last night coaches decision. I know you like to criticise where possible but which bit don’t you understand. On both occasions players were preparing for more important games the following week
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

fortysix wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:31 am Embarrassing for Nottingham to send cannon fodder like this. Ridiculous.
How else do players make the transition without being tested at the next level ?

Don’t you think that the games programme is limited enough …so let’s take every opportunity to blood our young lads…did you actually go to the game on Friday ?
Be honest
I was there and yes there was a big divide but it was competitive enough to enjoy …we supported our partner club, put some money in their coffers, we kept our key players safe for the bigger games and they won a nothing game ! Ridiculous ? I really don’t think so