Freddie Steward

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Freddie Steward

Post by Not a jock »

In some ways this thread reminds me of the discussions of Billy 36's strengths and "areas of potential development." Different posters seemed to do him down as he wasn't world leading in aspects of play exhibited by the likes of BOD, Umaga, Roberts, Scooby Do, Guscott, Gibbs, Horan, Sella etc etc. At least no one suggested cosmetic surgery to have a Carling dimple.

With so much kicking these days, surely security under the high ball should be the most important important attribute of a full back and FS is world leading in that aspect. Add to that the yardage after taking the ball and the tries he scores. With wingers playing more like auxiliary fullbacks these days, I see him much more of a centre back than a right back. Could you manage with just left and right fullbacks, especially if one or both the halfbacks drop back in open play?
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

To answer my own question re: two backs only - I guess the 50/22 law discourages leaving space out wide at the back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps the thought is that if Borthwick thinks Marcus Smith is a full back, Freddie must be a centre and Dan Cole a wing.

I think Freddie could make a good centre but is that wasting his biggest skill - taking the high ball.
Without a full back who is rock solid in the kicking game and can take the ball forward under that pressure you are in trouble. That’s why Daly struggled at full back and to an extent Watson.

For me, when Furbank last played for England he hadn’t got the physicality for the international game, something that has improved significantly.

We should all be mindful that the yards gained by full backs are often inflated by their taking the ball further from the opposition defensive line compared to a centre.

I would like to see all players waiting to be played on side after a kick to all have to actively retreat until they have been played on side by the kicker (or other runner from behind the kicker). Not just those within 10m of the ball, nor should they be be deemed on side because the full back has run back at them 5m.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Not a jock wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:26 am To answer my own question re: two backs only - I guess the 50/22 law discourages leaving space out wide at the back.
Exactly that. I encourages the double full back defence (although often that will end up being two of 9/10/15 in the backfield depending on the situation and team selection).
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

mol2 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:40 am Perhaps the thought is that if Borthwick thinks Marcus Smith is a full back, Freddie must be a centre and Dan Cole a wing.

I think Freddie could make a good centre but is that wasting his biggest skill - taking the high ball.
Without a full back who is rock solid in the kicking game and can take the ball forward under that pressure you are in trouble. That’s why Daly struggled at full back and to an extent Watson.

For me, when Furbank last played for England he hadn’t got the physicality for the international game, something that has improved significantly.

We should all be mindful that the yards gained by full backs are often inflated by their taking the ball further from the opposition defensive line compared to a centre.

I would like to see all players waiting to be played on side after a kick to all have to actively retreat until they have been played on side by the kicker (or other runner from behind the kicker). Not just those within 10m of the ball, nor should they be be deemed on side because the full back has run back at them 5m.
Steve Borthwick could potentially select Dan Cole as a wing just so he’s included in an England squad …Freddie is also not a centre but with the rest I do agree
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Furbank has been excellent this season and another poster said has bulked up. Different skill set to Steward but another option
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Why was Rob Kearney consistently one of the worlds best FB year on year? Mike Brown? Because fundamentally they were superb and had the nuts and bolts perfected. Leave Freddie where he is
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Steward is only 23 and already nails the two most important skills for fullbacks. Ability under the highball and positioning. I’ve been critical about his kicking out of hand and passing many times but these are all things that will improve over time. No doubt he’ll get to 100 caps.

That being said I would’ve started Furbank against Italy and he definitely deserves a start this six nations. Brings a different game to England.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Furbank would be ideal if there was a 6/2 split on the bench
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I think Freddie will end up in the centres ala George North, it'll come through an injury crisis though I suspect, IE we'll have 4 back 3 players available but only 1 centre so he'll go there to cover and end up sticking there as it works so well
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Freddie took all the high balls he could today and some with a lot of traffic around. He made many meters after catching them too. After todays performance I cannot see him moving from 15 or any coach wanting him to.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Offside wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:57 pm Freddie took all the high balls he could today and some with a lot of traffic around. He made many meters after catching them too. After todays performance I cannot see him moving from 15 or any coach wanting him to.
He took a poor pass and then managed to draw the defender and put Freeman through the gap for Daly's try. Quick hands and thinking.

Steward played well yesterday. His covering tackle on Cannone was thunderous and had the cover not panicked and done nothing we should have stopped Italy's first try.

I'd be very surprised if Freddie lost his spot after such an assured performance. He combined well with the excellent Freeman.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Was that pass meant for Freeman or Daly? There was certainly some venom on it
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:32 am Was that pass meant for Freeman or Daly? There was certainly some venom on it
Steward lifts the ball into space whilst taking a hit so Freeman can accelerate through the gap. Freeman draws the man and passes to Daly for the walk in. Doesn't happen without Steward collecting the bad pass from Slade and putting it right on the money for Freeman under pressure.

Generally England brought Steward into the game way more in attack, well all of the back three really. Was one of the few positives in our attack.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:53 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:32 am Was that pass meant for Freeman or Daly? There was certainly some venom on it
Steward lifts the ball into space whilst taking a hit so Freeman can accelerate through the gap. Freeman draws the man and passes to Daly for the walk in. Doesn't happen without Steward collecting the bad pass from Slade and putting it right on the money for Freeman under pressure.

Generally England brought Steward into the game way more in attack, well all of the back three really. Was one of the few positives in our attack.
Yes saw, it but it wasn't lifted it was fired. Was Steward trying a miss pass to Daly and Freeman just took it was my point. Would have to watch it again but there was certainly some venom on the pass